Out of Service for Accident

trickpony1

Really? Easily?

Yes, easily.

Drivers from a neighboring state told me the new nurse said she was gonna "clean house.".
The company said, "no, you're not.".

Our company nurse fancied herself as being a MD level in many specialties and caused some drivers unnecessary grief/expense.
The DM and other high level management wouldn't stand up to her.

I'm told she had several compliants filed on her at the State Board of Nursing.

Some of us knew of her previous nursing jobs and related antics before coming to the company.
She eventually retired.

trickpony1

Really? Easily?

You don't happen to work in upper new york state that some refer to as "bubble of goodness" where there is no evil and the drivers and management hold hands and sing kumbaya at the PCM?

40 years in and you've never had to deal with management that was in control of everything except themselves?
Unbelieveable.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
I'm in Feeders and I was traveling on an exit ramp about 20mph when I suddenly fell asleep and the truck rolled into a ditch and collided with some trees and bushes. The truck isn't totaled just a few dents. The cop on scene gave me a Careless Driving Tickets (2 Points) and I was taken to get a drug test by management right away. Upon getting the drug test taken we get back to the building and management (with a shop steward present) notifies me that I will be Out of Service upon the drug test results and accident investigation. I've been in Feeders for about 4 years and have never had a problem like this before with falling asleep at the wheel. I've recently been woken up by the family dog on numerous occasions and a screaming baby both of which I mentioned to management. I also share a tractor with another driver who smoke cigars constantly and the truck just smells terrible and is hard to see and breathe sometimes but management doesn't seem to care about that. However, when I've refused to use that tractor my job gets threatened but when other drivers refuse it they get to use another tractor. I should've got a doctors note I guess. My question is how long do you think ill be out of service? Has anyone here been in this situation before or know another driver who has? Can I file for unemployment? I'm not technically fired so idk if I can or not. A couple drivers told me to tell them I turned the wheel to not hit a deer but at that speed I have a hard time believing that they would've believed that. So, I told them the truth. It just sucks. Any help would be apricated.
As long as you coded off time for your nap, you'll be fine.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
This actually happens with some regularity in feeders (falling asleep and running off the road), I've yet to see someone lose their job for it. Most guys are out for a week or two.

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

I get a sneaking suspicion that this is only the beginning of a bunch of people falling asleep at the wheel in feeders/package. Everyone is already overworked (well, the majority) and with peak ramping up, things are just going to get worse. At what point is it enough for us to work 55+ hours a week? How many injuries? Something has got to give at some point.
It was a rough peak last year, several times I caught myself nodding off on the way back to the building. I was starting to think my 40 minute drive back with the heat on and both doors closed was getting me lightheaded on engine fumes or something. Closest thing to an accident was only prevented by my head bouncing off the steering wheel and jolting me awake.

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby
You don't happen to work in upper new york state that some refer to as "bubble of goodness" where there is no evil and the drivers and management hold hands and sing kumbaya at the PCM?

40 years in and you've never had to deal with management that was in control of everything except themselves?
Unbelieveable.
I believe he drives a leased Altima as well

quad decade guy

Unbelieveable.
Where to start...First-you don't know me. Or anything about me except the limited things I've revealed here.

Now again, I spent 10 years in automotive, 15 in pkg car and 15 in feeders. I've seen mgt. that was benign and I've seen probably one of the biggest bitches on this planet(DM). Evil and utter incompetence. Hateful, vindictive (just like here on BC, like you) and everything in-between. Believe what you want. I have seen it all.

Unbelievable? To who? You? What exactly? There are idiotic people at UPS just like in the world.

The company nurse thing may have happened. But to have less than a doctor diagnose a potentially fatal disease and somehow make that stick and not be questioned or somehow be allowed is bizarre. Frankly. Could it happen? But then, based on conversations here on BC about sleep apnea and the absolute denial, lying and all that other stuff(dishonesty and all) to keep from being treated, I guess lot's of things are possible from employees down to the company nurse. Mgt making stuff up(conspiracies) to employees committing felonies happen everyday. I've seen it.

Look at the new appearance standards....anything is possible. Probable? Another whole story.

A nurse diagnosing narcolepsy? Ok....

And...try not to let your hateful, abusiveness color your assumptions about me.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
I'm in Feeders and I was traveling on an exit ramp about 20mph when I suddenly fell asleep and the truck rolled into a ditch and collided with some trees and bushes. The truck isn't totaled just a few dents. The cop on scene gave me a Careless Driving Tickets (2 Points) and I was taken to get a drug test by management right away. Upon getting the drug test taken we get back to the building and management (with a shop steward present) notifies me that I will be Out of Service upon the drug test results and accident investigation. I've been in Feeders for about 4 years and have never had a problem like this before with falling asleep at the wheel. I've recently been woken up by the family dog on numerous occasions and a screaming baby both of which I mentioned to management. I also share a tractor with another driver who smoke cigars constantly and the truck just smells terrible and is hard to see and breathe sometimes but management doesn't seem to care about that. However, when I've refused to use that tractor my job gets threatened but when other drivers refuse it they get to use another tractor. I should've got a doctors note I guess. My question is how long do you think ill be out of service? Has anyone here been in this situation before or know another driver who has? Can I file for unemployment? I'm not technically fired so idk if I can or not. A couple drivers told me to tell them I turned the wheel to not hit a deer but at that speed I have a hard time believing that they would've believed that. So, I told them the truth. It just sucks. Any help would be apricated.
Did the tractor have to be towed? If it did, along with that citation, you may be going to panel. Lawyer up. If the cop didn’t witness the accident and they have no witnesses, it will be thrown out. UPS won’t care if it’s thrown out, the fact that you were issued in the first place is all they care about but you may be able to get the points off your license. Good luck, brother.

quad decade guy

Did the tractor have to be towed? If it did, along with that citation, you may be going to panel. Lawyer up. If the cop didn’t witness the accident and they have no witnesses, it will be thrown out. UPS won’t care if it’s thrown out, the fact that you were issued in the first place is all they care about but you may be able to get the points off your license. Good luck, brother.

With all respect, what will be thrown out? Who is they? A cop can't issue a citation without witnessing the accident? Happens all the time here. Most accidents can't be witnessed by a cop. How could they? Careless driving is pretty obvious by it's results...Yes? Cop comes along sees the wrecked vehicle and writes a ticket. State troopers do it here all the time. Now, a citation here is a cardinal sin. Injuries to someone else is also. Also, it does matter if it's thrown out. If so, the ticket doesn't exist. Never did. That's a big deal. Actually the most important, I think. In the end "did you get cited?" "No".

542thruNthru

With all respect, what will be thrown out? Who is they? A cop can't issue a citation without witnessing the accident? Happens all the time here. Most accidents can't be witnessed by a cop. How could they? Careless driving is pretty obvious by it's results...Yes? Cop comes along sees the wrecked vehicle and writes a ticket. State troopers do it here all the time. Now, a citation here is a cardinal sin. Injuries to someone else is also. Also, it does matter if it's thrown out. If so, the ticket doesn't exist. Never did. That's a big deal. Actually the most important, I think. In the end "did you get cited?" "No".
No where is a citation alone a cardinal sin.

Brown Biscuit

Blind every day
I got an absolute bogus ticket my first year for careless driving in the package car. Told my on-car and he immediately snapped back at me to not tell the center manager and get it thrown out ASAP. Before I even finished telling him what happened lol.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
My friend I’m speaking from experience. I have a buddy who got a ticket for driving too fast for conditions by FHP when he hydroplaned and ended up in a ditch. He fought it and was thrown out when the trooper said they had no witnesses. He had to go to panel to get his job back since the tractor was towed and he was given a ticket. It takes months to fight a ticket. UPS’ investigation takes 3 weeks. You don’t know everything.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
concerning the dog barking and baby waking you up, that's no excuse. as a professional driver it is your responsibility to be well rested and ready for work. If not call out. They can not discipline you if you tell them you are too tired to drive no matter what the reason.

I did this only a handful of times over the course of a 34 year career and was never given a hard time about it.