Out of Service for Accident

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I get a sneaking suspicion that this is only the beginning of a bunch of people falling asleep at the wheel in feeders/package. Everyone is already overworked (well, the majority) and with peak ramping up, things are just going to get worse. At what point is it enough for us to work 55+ hours a week? How many injuries? Something has got to give at some point.
I worked 55 plus hours a week for most of my career. it's all about discipline.

rod

Retired 22 years
We had a feeder driver fall asleep and end up about a hundred yards out in a corn field. Happened to be on a curve that was probably the only one for 5 miles. Luckily the ditch was very shallow, no telephone poles and nothing to hit except some 4 foot tall corn stalks. Absolutely zero damage to equipment or cargo. He said an on coming car in his lane ran him off the road and he stuck to that story. Management assumed he was lying but couldn't prove it so after being "terminated" for about a week he was let back ----with back pay. :-)

quad decade guy

My friend I’m speaking from experience. I have a buddy who got a ticket for driving too fast for conditions by FHP when he hydroplaned and ended up in a ditch. He fought it and was thrown out when the trooper said they had no witnesses. He had to go to panel to get his job back since the tractor was towed and he was given a ticket. It takes months to fight a ticket. UPS’ investigation takes 3 weeks. You don’t know everything.
Ok. And so? Friend....never said I knew anything. Just my experience as is yours. I have a friend also who doesn't work here anymore because he was
cited. But no matter.

purehavanne

Hey Bro, been doing those hours for 40 years. Plus nights school, plus a family, plus life.
It was a rough peak last year, several times I caught myself nodding off on the way back to the building. I was starting to think my 40 minute drive back with the heat on and both doors closed was getting me lightheaded on engine fumes or something. Closest thing to an accident was only prevented by my head bouncing off the steering wheel and jolting me awake.
At least you’re honest. A lot of drivers try to act like they’ve never had a close call

No1 Special

Long time listener, first time caller.
Can I file for unemployment during this time im out?
If you are not working then file, they will fight it, you will win. I know of a coworker who was fired after an accident, the company was dragging their feet until he filed, was back to work the following week. He did finally collect about a month later.