Discipline for not knowing the dumb questions (depth of knowledge)

UPSGUY72

Why did'nt you just ask to start early and answer the questions...what's the BFW. We are asked to know thw questions..we are paid to answer the questions. If that's what asked of me..I do it..while on the clock. Why be so difficult and demand 24 hrs notice for an earlier start? Sounds like you were there early already...why not get paid for it.

Give them an in they will take a mile. I'm not punching in early so a hourly union person can ask me DOK questions. That not there job they get paid deliver packages not to grade fellow union members on DOK and report back to management.

W

want to retire

This is a big deal. From day one.....32 years ago(for me)......I have wondered why the "Union" allows all this work to be off the clock? If you are "studying"....you are working! Just one more way to not pay a person. Hourlies are not salaried. And this new "official" safety committee in the so. cen reg........It will have some sort of authority"? So, if you are asked a safety question by this "official" committee......and you don't know the answer........discipline? Why the Union ever agreed to this is beyond me. To what end? A sucker hole for sure.

cino321

Would I be wrong to assume if they paid you to learn it then you're pretty much opening yourself up to being accountable for knowing it?

The whole DOK being mandatory is such a joke it's unbelievable. No one in my entire career has explained any part of it rationally and taught it. Everyone gets their worksheets, copies over the DOK from the sup who hands you the answers, and then they get all bent out of shape when the Keter people ask and you fail.

What about demonstrations? And I'm not talking about once a month. Videos? Something! Sure, maybe we won't be able to recite the DOK like a nursery rhyme, but maybe we'll be able to explain it and actually practically apply it!

The fact that UPS middle management teams across the entire corporation are more concerned with me being capable of reciting safety dribble so I can answer a BS audit they're mandated to have is absurd. Maybe, just maybe, if they actually had some kind of desire to have the drivers understand safety methods and defensive driving, we (the employees) would be more motivated to learn it.

They don't care about my safety, I don't care about their audit!

CAFAL

Would I be wrong to assume if they paid you to learn it then you're pretty much opening yourself up to being accountable for knowing it?

The whole DOK being mandatory is such a joke it's unbelievable. No one in my entire career has explained any part of it rationally and taught it. Everyone gets their worksheets, copies over the DOK from the sup who hands you the answers, and then they get all bent out of shape when the Keter people ask and you fail.

What about demonstrations? And I'm not talking about once a month. Videos? Something! Sure, maybe we won't be able to recite the DOK like a nursery rhyme, but maybe we'll be able to explain it and actually practically apply it!

The fact that UPS middle management teams across the entire corporation are more concerned with me being capable of reciting safety dribble so I can answer a BS audit they're mandated to have is absurd. Maybe, just maybe, if they actually had some kind of desire to have the drivers understand safety methods and defensive driving, we (the employees) would be more motivated to learn it.

They don't care about my safety, I don't care about their audit!

Terrible to hear that's how it is. Our safety group here do demonstrations every tuesday at pcm. They have gone through all the dok and how it all ties into eachother. Crazy how different it is. This is major in my area with constant training for on road. The audits they don't care about. They actually care about safety here. What a shame

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Terrible to hear that's how it is. Our safety group here do demonstrations every tuesday at pcm. They have gone through all the dok and how it all ties into eachother. Crazy how different it is. This is major in my area with constant training for on road. The audits they don't care about. They actually care about safety here. What a shame

That does it, I'm moving to New York.:hypnosis:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Sure, maybe we won't be able to recite the DOK like a nursery rhyme, but maybe we'll be able to explain it and actually practically apply it!

I can explain the concept behind each one with no problem. I'll never be able to recite them just the way it is. I'm slightly dyslexic have A.D.D. and when they ask me as an audit I promise my anxiety will go thru the roof and it would be ugly. There is a reason I didn't finish college.

jaker

trolling
I never understood why we should give a dang about their audit , if they ask us a question and we don't know it how does it affect me if they fail the audit and if they do pass what do we get from it

CAFAL

That does it, I'm moving to New York.:hypnosis:

Let me clarify. They care about the audits. They do not worry about them because of the constant training. What we fail on is when the auditors drop their pen,and the keys to lifting are out the window when guys just bend over for it.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Let me clarify. They care about the audits. They do not worry about them because of the constant training. What we fail on is when the auditors drop their pen,and the keys to lifting are out the window when guys just bend over for it.
I am dying to know what center you work at.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

CAFAL works out of the Poughkeepsie, NY, center. My center manager used to be an on-car in that center and from the stories he has told me about that place it is hardly the Bubble of Goodness. There are currently no bid sheets up for 22.3's at that center.

As for the DOK--this is another battle that IMO is just not worth fighting. I take the time (yes, it is my personal time) to memorize the material. I do disagree that knowing the DOK is a condition of our employment which is what we are told in my center.

Indecisi0n

CAFAL works out of the Poughkeepsie, NY, center. My center manager used to be an on-car in that center and from the stories he has told me about that place it is hardly the Bubble of Goodness. There are currently no bid sheets up for 22.3's at that center.

As for the DOK--this is another battle that IMO is just not worth fighting. I take the time (yes, it is my personal time) to memorize the material. I do disagree that knowing the DOK is a condition of our employment which is what we are told in my center.

There is no reason to not get paid for going through your DOK questions in a safety class. Unless maybe if your trying to kiss up to management.