Discipline for not knowing the dumb questions (depth of knowledge)

Argize

At my center they only worry about them when they become the flavor of the month. If accidents and injuries are a problem, expect that to be the case. A practice I like is that sometimes in the PCM they'll ask random questions about the DOK and give out free stuff, (travel mugs, socks, t-shirts, etc), to whoever blurts out the right answer first. Bribery is always an effective means of motivation, lol. 3 or 4 months can drift by without hearing a word about DOK and then that's all you here. I can recite them verbatim when I brush up, but after 3 or 4 months the fog starts rolling in a wee bit if you know what I mean. (~¿*)

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
About 10 years ago, my sups were sort after me. At that point, I made a decision to cover as many of my bases that I could. I figured if they were going to fire me, it was going to be on my terms. Meaning, I would have to fluck up to get fired. I memorized their methods, did everything by the book. I also saw how seriously they began to take those safety questions. So I took a solid week to memorize and understand them. I'm no Rhodes Scholar, so if I can do it in a week, anyone can.

Once I knew them, it was kind of fun. They would watch me constantly, and started asking me if I knew the questions. I would act coy about them, which only got them to bring me into the office and have me recite them. Not only did I explain all of their questions, it would take me an hour to do it.

It's easy enough to step out of line here, but cover your ass on the easy stuff. The safety questions fall under that category.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
By the way, the week I learned the stuff, I did it on the way to my route and the way back. It took a week of doing to this to memorize them. I never did it away from work. I'll learn them, but not on my time, no sir.

packageguy

I think it's crap to have to know it word for word. You can tell who uses what they preach and who doesn't! I have found that most of the ones that know it word for word, have no idea how to use it! All our worm burners are on the safety committee, running 1.25 under. Who's being safe?

I agree, I always see committee members in there truck. fingerf***ing the load. I guess they got it like that..

stink219

It's more of a matter of performing the DOK rather then memorization. I could tell you how to juggle but that doesn't mean I can. Just say you perform them everyday but your vocabulary may suffer. Words do not keep you safe on the road. If I could say the DOK verbatim but have no arms, would you let be drive a truck? Process it........process it........

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
It's more of a matter of performing the DOK rather then memorization. I could tell you how to juggle but that doesn't mean I can. Just say you perform them everyday but your vocabulary may suffer. Words do not keep you safe on the road. If I could say the DOK verbatim but have no arms, would you let be drive a truck? Process it........process it........

They can't, they are hypnotized.:hypnosis:

W

want to retire

About 10 years ago, my sups were sort after me. At that point, I made a decision to cover as many of my bases that I could. I figured if they were going to fire me, it was going to be on my terms. Meaning, I would have to fluck up to get fired. I memorized their methods, did everything by the book. I also saw how seriously they began to take those safety questions. So I took a solid week to memorize and understand them. I'm no Rhodes Scholar, so if I can do it in a week, anyone can.

Once I knew them, it was kind of fun. They would watch me constantly, and started asking me if I knew the questions. I would act coy about them, which only got them to bring me into the office and have me recite them. Not only did I explain all of their questions, it would take me an hour to do it.

It's easy enough to step out of line here, but cover your ass on the easy stuff. The safety questions fall under that category.

Or not.

bluehdmc

In many instances proper use of the horn is a lost art.

It is very important to remember that phrase. Actually I think it's so rediculous to remember something like that it's the only thing I do remember. I liken it to knowing the year of the Norman Conquest in high school.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The issue here is not whether it is beneficial to know the commentaries and acronyms.

The issue...is whether or not the company should be allowed to arbitrarily and retroactively dictate the conditions of our employment without negotiating with our union as is required by the contract.

If the company wants to make the successful regurgitation of a commentary a prior condition of employment, then put it in the contract and I will regurgitate away. Until then, kiss my ass.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
The DOK is not a condition of employment.

That is absolutely correct.

It may be a condition of "qualifying" to be a new driver.... But, it is not a condition of employment.

The issue was resolved at the National level in 2008.

The company can encourage drivers to learn it.... On the clock.

This isn't second grade. You can't be assigned homework.

No one can be disciplined for not being able to regurgitate it.

-Bug-

kingOFchester

Decipline for not knowing the dumb questions (depth of knowledge)

I have been told that they can't force u to know it but they can take u off the road for not knowing it. You would then spend your shift learning it. Not sure if this is true or not. And have not seen them take this type of action.

tourists24

I have been told that they can't force u to know it but they can take u off the road for not knowing it. You would then spend your shift learning it. Not sure if this is true or not. And have not seen them take this type of action.
We have had it happen a couple of times.... it ends up being a waste of time for the company and only an inconenience for the driver.... they still have to pay you a guarantee of 8 hours when you report so they would have the driver come in and work the preload and then study the DOK.... they stopped doing it after both of the drivers liked the new arrangement and mgt put them back on the road

CharleyHustle

That is absolutely correct.

It may be a condition of "qualifying" to be a new driver.... But, it is not a condition of employment.

The issue was resolved at the National level in 2008.

The company can encourage drivers to learn it.... On the clock.

This isn't second grade. You can't be assigned homework.

No one can be disciplined for not being able to regurgitate it.

-Bug-

Ok, but don't you have to put it into practice? Lets say you are constantly being observed backing first. They can discipline you for that and that is part of the DOK. So calling it BS or drivel or even dribble, is a little shortsighted.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Ok, but don't you have to put it into practice? Lets say you are constantly being observed backing first. They can discipline you for that and that is part of the DOK. So calling it BS or drivel or even dribble, is a little shortsighted.

You appear to be confused as to what a "back first exception" is. This is when you position the pkg car for a delivery and then must back within a short distance of that delivery point in order to go to the next stop. "If you must back, back first and to the driver's side" is part of the DOK. The best back is the one not made.

kingOFchester

You appear to be confused as to what a "back first exception" is. This is when you position the pkg car for a delivery and then must back within a short distance of that delivery point in order to go to the next stop. "If you must back, back first and to the driver's side" is part of the DOK. The best back is the one not made.

How is the poster confused? Perhaps you are the one confused. Pretty clear he was talking about a back first exception. He stated it was part of the DOK. He stated that if you are observed doing a back first exception (yes I am aware he left out the word exception) they can discipline you for being observed not following the methods.

Why do you seem to be so argumentative? I have a friend who has PPD. Your posts appear to come from someone with PPD.

CharleyHustle

no ship Sherlock. It was obvious to me what the poster was saying. Do you have friends?

Don't feed the troll.

Whatever, my point was that you can call it BS, or drivel, but the DOK isn't going away any time soon. You can hate it, think it's stupid or believe it is a conspiracy but you have an employer that pays you 80 grand a year and wants you to know it. One of the first things I learned 35yrs ago from an old Teamster was when you stop banging your head against a wall it feels good.