Do they unload the trailers on Saturdays even if not delivering? (on topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetime

Hey Everyone!

It gets blazing hot down here in South FL, so whenever I receive a shipment for something like sensitive audio gear or a wooden instrument, anything remotely temperature sensitive, I always try to have it ship on a Monday, so I minimize the chance of it sitting in a 150° trailer over the weekend.

Well my vendor screwed up this time and shipped out on a Thursday (today) and it will only take 2 days to get to me, so it should arrive at my hub on Saturday morning and spend the next 48+ hrs in a trailer baking in the sun, about 20 minutes away from my location.

They don't deliver on Saturday in my area, so they're showing Monday delivery on the app, so my first thought was to call and see if I can pick it up Sat morning, but I can already tell from looking it up that they'll likely say no.

If I choose to hold for pickup on the UPS smartphone app and select my hub that I know it will arrive to Saturday morning, will they unload it from the trailer on Saturday and let it sit in the (slightly less hot) hub warehouse to await pickup on Monday?

.. or will it remain in the parked trailer over the weekend until Monday morning, at which point they'll unload the trailer and contact me for pickup?

I know it isn't climate controlled in the hub warehouse either, but I'm sure the temperature is significantly cooler than inside the trailer or delivery van.

Any input is appreciated, thanks!

wilberforce15

This will vary by location and the size and schedule of that building. But, usually, yes it's going to sit there in the trailer until early Monday morning. Sorry.

Johney

Yes it's going to sit in a trailer all weekend melting if your hub does not run a Saturday operation. How far South?

GenericUsername

Either it's going to sit in a trailer and be protected somewhat by the other thousand boxes in that trailer or it's going to sit in a package car with less than 300 other packages in an all metal enclosure.

thetime

I was thinking that as well.. that the traveling part of the trip was probably just as hot. Still 48 hrs, or more, of unnecessary heat exposure bums me out, especially since I'm so close to where it'll be parked.

GenericUsername

I was thinking that as well.. that the traveling part of the trip was probably just as hot. Still 48 hrs, or more, of unnecessary heat exposure bums me out, especially since I'm so close to where it'll be parked.

You could call the 800 number and maybe have them hold it somewhere along the way so it can get delivered on Tuesday instead. Or call your shipper and tell them you're going to refuse the product and have him resend a new one on Monday?

Hey Everyone!

It gets blazing hot down here in South FL, so whenever I receive a shipment for something like sensitive audio gear or a wooden instrument, anything remotely temperature sensitive, I always try to have it ship on a Monday, so I minimize the chance of it sitting in a 150° trailer over the weekend.

Well my vendor screwed up this time and shipped out on a Thursday (today) and it will only take 2 days to get to me, so it should arrive at my hub on Saturday morning and spend the next 48+ hrs in a trailer baking in the sun, about 20 minutes away from my location.

They don't deliver on Saturday in my area, so they're showing Monday delivery on the app, so my first thought was to call and see if I can pick it up Sat morning, but I can already tell from looking it up that they'll likely say no.

If I choose to hold for pickup on the UPS smartphone app and select my hub that I know it will arrive to Saturday morning, will they unload it from the trailer on Saturday and let it sit in the (slightly less hot) hub warehouse to await pickup on Monday?

.. or will it remain in the parked trailer over the weekend until Monday morning, at which point they'll unload the trailer and contact me for pickup?

I know it isn't climate controlled in the hub warehouse either, but I'm sure the temperature is significantly cooler than inside the trailer or delivery van.

Ask @barnyard

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Hey Everyone!

https://www.browncafe.com/community...o-know-something-about-their-packages.354421/

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
20180525_073014.jpg

Johney

Are you following the tracking info? Deerfield gets rail loads in early Monday morning for delivery that day.

hehe xd

Depends on the season and the priority rate of the trailer (most people on here don't know this, I have inside sources)

i also work in FL (not stating which Hub) and most of them only receive trailers but no one goes in. Maybe the twilight/AM shift can send it off if you're lucky

specter208

Depends on the season and the priority rate of the trailer (most people on here don't know this, I have inside sources)

i also work in FL (not stating which Hub) and most of them only receive trailers but no one goes in. Maybe the twilight/AM shift can send it off if you're lucky
Are t you a FT Sup?

Also, in my center we unload 90% of our Monday trailers and have the stuff transferred into Monday package cars. We will hold 1-2 cold loads that will be unloaded on actual Monday.

hehe xd

Are t you a FT Sup?

Also, in my center we unload 90% of our Monday trailers and have the stuff transferred into Monday package cars. We will hold 1-2 cold loads that will be unloaded on actual Monday.
No I just get extra work with the higher ups regarding paperwork due to my experience with exel

rod

Retired 22 years
It's too bad there isn't a service level that could guarantee it wouldn't sit in a hot trailer for days.

Sure- worry about the packages. How come no one gives a crap if an unloader is cooking in a trailer or if a driver has to work in a package car that is 150 degrees inside?

Status
Not open for further replies.