Do we deserve $32+/hour

UPS Preloader

It's rare that people will admit they couldn't handle driving, I'm just getting into it i.e. cover driving (if it passes i will be on the 4yr progression plan to hit top rate) and I am excited because I excel under pressure and I like the feeling. I get invigorated when I see a bulk stop of mine with 100+pcs coming down the belt at once and I know I gotta throw it in(or stack it) fast, been doing so for nearly 7 years, feeling that we are worth the $33hr is a good feeling as long as you don't get stuck in the mindset that most drivers i work with do that it isn't enough and they always deserve more, while us pters listen and they bitched that they are broke and only made $90000 last year while my wife and I combined with me working 2 jobs made 52k and are living comfortably it bothers me because I know that mindset is always the downfall of union organizations and why much of the populous is against union work nowadays. Being worth the pay is one thing others understanding and agreeing why is another and an issue we will always face, personally on the next contract I would be content with a wage cap and a cola instead. Just a personal opinion

I could handle being a driver, I just have no interest. It's a different lifestyle when your a driver. Up early, home late, work some holidays, possibly some weekends... I like being home by 9-9:30 AM every day. I then work out of the house so I pretty much always available for my wife and kids. That's worth more to me than the $32+ an hour.

Marlin3030hntr

I agree but I'm married no kids and 25 for now I would rather make the money, I liked being home by 10 in the morning when i was only working preload but driving is what you make of it, if you wanna be one that hates life and is disgruntled all the time you will hate your life. I try to go out with a positive attitude everyday and just try to bust it out safely as best I can and get home at a half way decent time

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Also, not every building is the same. They're plenty of drivers here on this forum who haven't worked more than 10 hours a day in their entire career. It all depends on your center and the type of person you are. Personally, I enjoy working hard and getting a little sweaty...but I will not be unsafe and run.