Do we deserve $32+/hour

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
The question isnt whether we deserve a dollar amount but rather if we are being fairly compensated for what we do. The company agreed to the last contract with our compensation so apparently they felt the work we do warrants the compensation we receive. :)

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Honestly from my experience a pissed off driver works harder than a happy driver.
Which is why I learned a while ago, let it go , in one ear and out the other. A p"od driver does work faster, and less conscious of the safety hazards. If they truly cared about safety, they wouldn't send us out of the barn spittin nails. Its called adrenalin, trying to protect yourself from the wrath of yesterday.

Actually no. Our job requires problem
Solving skills. People skills, a better than average work ethic, the ability to not only not to get in accidents but to avoid anyone else from hitting u, all while being physic and reading management's mind.

Most people don't have all that rolled into one.
First you drive, that in itself is stressful. Then you have a truckload of stuff, loaded not by you, and depending on your load to be pretty good as one misload can ruin the day. You have time commitments, unexpected delays, unexpected ocas. Still having to make your pickups within +- 15 minutes.........Hopefully no businesses left after 5.....................I don't mind telematics, we are just doing what they pay us to do. Disgruntled people, bad day take it out on the ups person. Try to deliver this pkg but hide it from thugs, but make sure there is no big mean dog at the back door where the sign on the front door tells you to go, IN THE DARK.
Make sure if you are delayed, remember the next day, to confront the intel. I could never imagine a job making this kind of money. I also couldn't imagine doing it for less.
This may be true but you would never catch me posting on this site while on vacation in the friggin' Bahamas!!!!!
I think he is home.

Kevin Bengson

You are ignorant if you fail to understand the intangible qualities necessary to accomplish what we do daily; it take much more than simply a driver's license and HS diploma... We deserve every penny.

browniehound

They are well compensated and deserve every penny. Would love to see more routes so getting off in 8 hours was possible. More routes, less OT, happier drivers, has to equal more profits for UPS. I hope preloaders get a fair deal in the new contract !!!

Actually that's not entirely accurate. Less routes and more OT can be more proftable to UPS because they don't have to pay into the health and welfare after 8 hours/day or 40 hours/week.

browniehound

I don't think I ever heard anybody mention this fact in any thread of this kind.
As drivers we spend the majority of our day in the most dangerous place anybody can be, on the road.
Look up the statistics.
We do a hard job in a very dangerous place.
We deserve every penny and then some.

Great point. The odds of you dying in a commercial airline plane crash in your whole life is 1 in 66,000 if you take 1 round trip flight a year. A single flight is 1 in 1,000,000. Even an "air warrior" that flew every working day for 30 years has a 1 and 787 chance of dying in a crash.

Compare those stats with driving. The lifetime odds of dying in a car accident are about 1 and 158. Sounds like we should get hazard pay. No? We are on the road 10 times more than average Joe. So our odds might be more like 1 and 15.8 Ahh, but our UPS training will keep us safe and beat the odds. You can't, however, prevent that drunk crossing the center line and killing you and it doesn't matter how well you know the 10-point.

Yeah, we deserve hazard pay on top of the 32 bucks:happy-very:

stealstime

I don't make $32 an hour. Our pension rehab plan screwed us over. Doing the same for less! Pension plan still in critical status after giving up Two Years of raises!!!!!

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Pre-loaders definitely deserve more. A lot more. $9.50? Come on, its not much more than minimum wage.

Mine doesn't...I'm sure some preloaders are awesome but the one who loads my truck most days is awful. I find 3-4 misloads in my truck on average per day (in a P700), 3-5 packages fouind on the wrong shelf per day, and toward the end of his shift he throws 1-3000s on the floor somewhere in the middle of the truck under the bulk because he is just "throwing it in." Anything a little heavy he throws on the floor out of laziness instead of putting on the shelf, even if it is a tiny box. When putting bulk on the floor he doesn't put it below the shelf it should be on, he just puts it wherever he happens to drop it. He has flat out told me "I am retiring in 5 months so I don't give a friend*." I typically have to fix his screw-ups for 15 minutes off the clock (yes I realize I shouldn't touch a box before my shift starts) before my morning meeting, then finish loading my own truck on the clock for an average of 20 minutes after the PCM while all the other drivers are outside doing a pretrip or on their way to their routes....I know there are lots of good preloaders but I rarely get lucky enough to get one.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Great point. The odds of you dying in a commercial airline plane crash in your whole life is 1 in 66,000 if you take 1 round trip flight a year. A single flight is 1 in 1,000,000. Even an "air warrior" that flew every working day for 30 years has a 1 and 787 chance of dying in a crash.

Compare those stats with driving. The lifetime odds of dying in a car accident are about 1 and 158. Sounds like we should get hazard pay. No? We are on the road 10 times more than average Joe. So our odds might be more like 1 and 15.8 Ahh, but our UPS training will keep us safe and beat the odds. You can't, however, prevent that drunk crossing the center line and killing you and it doesn't matter how well you know the 10-point.

YES!!!!!

UPS is getting a bargain and we know it.

TUT

A school teachers should get BattleZone Hazard pay.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Drivers work their asses off everyday...and have to deal with the public and ****ty weather...they deserve every penny. That being said, yes us preloaders should get more than we make, to a point. I'm a woman in my early 30's. Everyday, i outload guys more than 10 yrs younger than me...better load quality, heavier assignment. And then when i'm done with my 1300+ pieces, i'm asked to go help this one or that one finish, because he's backed up and it's 9am. So i do, because i have to, and of course their trucks look like a bomb imploded

pretender

Lots of factors go into an accurate answer. It depends on the route and the day. Some days I'm overpaid and some days I'm underpaid. It all works out in the end.

This is more accurate for Feeder drivers--Some days you feel overpaid, and other days there is not enough money in the world...So, it all balances out. If you are a Package driver, there is always someone there to make sure you don't feel underpaid.

laffter

Honestly from my experience a pissed off driver works harder than a happy driver.

Maybe this applies to most people or maybe this applies mostly to drivers, but as a preloader, when I'm pissed off, I say eff it and take my time. If I can keep up with the flow, I'm happy and I bust my ass to do it. If they're throwing so much at me that I can't keep up, then I see no reason to bust my ass just to remain behind. Happiness doesn't necessarily make me relax and be slow.

Similarly, if I show up to work early and I'm bombarded with 6 bulk stops 10 minutes prior to start time, you start feeling pressured to begin working right away. Therefore, I'll leave it alone until it's time to start. If the flow starts off easy... and it's not start time yet, I'll go ahead and load a few boxes unpaid. No big deal.