Do we deserve $32+/hour

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Does A-Rod deserve $10K per at bat?

No, he doesn't, but all of the revenue generated by his sport is what allows him to earn such a ridiculous salary.

We work for a company that is making money hand over fist where the bosses roll out of their air conditioned offices after 8 hours (or less), while we work until 8 o'clock at night in the freeing cold or sweltering heat.

If those "report generators" are making 6 figures to do what amounts to nothing more than being "big brother", then I would have to say no, we do not deserve $32/Hour.

We deserve quite a bit more.

bluehdmc

Actually that's not entirely accurate. Less routes and more OT can be more proftable to UPS because they don't have to pay into the health and welfare after 8 hours/day or 40 hours/week.

If health and welfare payments plus cost of having the vehicle on the road, (cost per mile for fuel, tires, etc.) add up to less than $16 per hour then it may be more profitable. After about 10hrs productivity tends to go down due to fatigue. I'm sure some bean counter has processed all these variables.

bluehdmc

Does A-Rod deserve $10K per at bat?

NO, I think professional athletes salaries are obscene. Granted they have a career that can be very short due to injury but what's it cost for a "working" man to take his kid to a game?

Do movie actors deserve $20million to star in a movie?

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
NO, I think professional athletes salaries are obscene. Granted they have a career that can be very short due to injury but what's it cost for a "working" man to take his kid to a game?

Do teachers deserve about 53 Thousand a year?

Most salary's are not paid out because of what one deserves, but they are paid out because of how they are funded.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Took my son and girlfriend to a Bills/Pats game in Buffalo. Paid $100 each for 3 tickets. The same seats in Foxboro would have $200+. Throw in gas, food and a hotel room for me and the trip was easily $500.

Yes, their salaries are obscene, but we have the option of whether we wish to support (aka help pay for) our favorite team by going to their games and buying their merchandise.

The problem I do have is when team owners try to use public funds to renovate their existing or build a new facility or when they try to play one city against another, ultimately going with the highest bidder.

This may surprise you but my answer is yes. Admission to a theater is basically a user fee---you don't want to pay it, don't go to the movies. I love going to the movies, especially those with my favorite actors, and have no problem with the salaries they demand.

kingOFchester

This may surprise you but my answer is yes. Admission to a theater is basically a user fee---you don't want to pay it, don't go to the movies. I love going to the movies, especially those with my favorite actors, and have no problem with the salaries they demand.

But we shouldn't make 32 an hour?

bluehdmc

Took my son and girlfriend to a Bills/Pats game in Buffalo. Paid $100 each for 3 tickets. The same seats in Foxboro would have $200+. Throw in gas, food and a hotel room for me and the trip was easily $500.

Yes, their salaries are obscene, but we have the option of whether we wish to support (aka help pay for) our favorite team by going to their games and buying their merchandise.

The problem I do have is when team owners try to use public funds to renovate their existing or build a new facility or when they try to play one city against another, ultimately going with the highest bidder.

I rather go to a farm team baseball game, smaller stadium so I don't get a nose bleed. Basically the same level of play, with maybe a little more heart since those guys are trying to make it to the big show.

I haven't gone to a movie in a few years, would rather wait till it's on video.

Overpaid Union Thug

I've been coming to this site since 1999 and during the years since I've seen more than a few people comment about how stressful this job is. I was just wondering......why would anyone let this job be stressful? There is no reason why it should be. Harassment will only go as far as we let it and the job itself is pretty darn easy if we follow the methods. Dealing with piss poor drivers out on the roads can be a challenge but it's normally not that serious. Time commits for deliveries and pickups shouldn't be our problem either. Make it management's problem. Speak up! This topic is definitely debatable but there are some points that have been made that I just can't fathom. The job being stressful is definitely one of those.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
I rather go to a farm team baseball game, smaller stadium so I don't get a nose bleed. Basically the same level of play, with maybe a little more heart since those guys are trying to make it to the big show.

I haven't gone to a movie in a few years, would rather wait till it's on video.

I love stopping to catch a game in the summertime. Little league, high school, farm game, whatever. Some good talented kids out there.

beentheredonethat

I know you have a physically demanding job and need to interact well with the customers.
However, the question you have to ask yourself...

If you were to leave, how hard would UPS have filling your position with a person that can do your job at your pay rate (including benefitcs, pension etc)

If the answer is difficult.. then you are underpaid.
if the answer is moderate.. then pay is appropriate to demand of job
If the answer is Easy.. then you are overpaid.

That is true for pretty much everyone in every job, hourly or managment.