Do you fold in your mirrors at every stop

Round the block again

So I got to fold in my mirrors at every stop, driver side easy but passenger side is like oops gotta get up and fold it out. Then after a while mirrors blow in a bit from the wind. All my time driving never did this!

Poop Head

Judge me.
So I got to fold in my mirrors at every stop, driver side easy but passenger side is like oops gotta get up and fold it out. Then after a while mirrors blow in a bit from the wind. All my time driving never did this!
I'll fold em in on tight or busy streets, anytime I feel there's a real chance of something catching one. Was never told to fold them at EVERY stop.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Why would you fold your passenger mirror with the exception of parking on a left hand shoulder on a one way street?

oldngray

nowhere special
Why would you fold your passenger mirror with the exception of parking on a left hand shoulder on a one way street?

That was one of the stupid ideas some cubicle genius came up with. They were even giving out warning letters to drivers they saw not doing it. I think common sense prevailed but maybe some sups didn't get the memo.

ManInBrown

95% of the time, yes. The only time I don't is if I'm on a very wide residential street, with barely any traffic. Management spends all day spying on drivers making sure they're tucking mirrors in, or honking the horn at every stop. Especially drivers like myself on the 9.5

DOK

Only on tight streets. Some of the mirrors are a stretch to pull in and are a risk of hurting your shoulder in my opinion, end range motion. Also I'm leery of getting my arm taken off, I'll sacrifice a mirror.

Over 70

Tucking in the mirrors is the dumbest UPS method I've ever heard. I've been instructed to only tuck in when it makes sense. Tight area, busy street with heavy truck traffic, etc.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
That was one of the stupid ideas some cubicle genius came up with. They were even giving out warning letters to drivers they saw not doing it. I think common sense prevailed but maybe some sups didn't get the memo.
stupid :censored2: like this usually comes from the District Managers (Ops)

the desk warriors don't care about your mirrors, they don't even know it's a method

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Just say no. It is a serious safety hazard hanging out the door, let alone an end range motion.

My last truck was a Freightliner with the mirrors mounted low and forward. No way was I going to pull them in.

I also refused to cross behind the truck. I wanted that 4-5 tons of steel and fiberglass between me and traffic.

rod

Retired 22 years
So what if someone takes off your mirror while passing you. Who gives a ship. @Monkey Butt---why did you desk drivers come up with this crap. UPS cares more about their friggin mirrors than they do about their employees hands and arms.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Just say no. It is a serious safety hazard hanging out the door, let alone an end range motion.

My last truck was a Freightliner with the mirrors mounted low and forward. No way was I going to pull them in.

I also refused to cross behind the truck. I wanted that 4-5 tons of steel and fiberglass between me and traffic.

Exactly!!!

I got observed one day by my on car and my center manager and was not pulling my mirror and was questioned about it. I told her I refuse to do it. She asked why and the OCS told her not even to bother that she wasn't going to win with me on this. I told her my arm is worth more than that $10 mirror. Plain and simple.
And I too would refuse to walk behind the vehicle. When asked why I said if a vehicle swerves off its path and heads towards the truck I would be pinched between the vehicle and my truck. No thanks. I would rather walk in front and have the truck take the brunt of the hit rather than my kneecaps.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
So what if someone takes off your mirror while passing you. Who gives a ship. @Monkey Butt---why did you desk drivers come up with this crap. UPS cares more about their friggin mirrors than they do about their employees hands and arms.
No idea ... I always thought it was stuppid myself.
I never folded a mirror except when parking on the metro unload belt.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
One of the ones with the single rear wheels and ridiculous rear elevator door contraption? I hate those things. Complete junk.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Never folded my mirrors even once !!!

Gotta love UPS-
- I hit someones mirror, It's my fault
- Someone hits my mirror, still my fault

Useless Point of Safety

Last edited: