Do you guys scan your pickups?

AKCoverMan

In our neck of the woods NDA has to be at the center by 1430 to make the flights to Louisville and Ontario.

So the UPS Stores have two pups each day, one for NDA between noon and 2pm depending on location and another at EOD.

I always scan the package I am actually picking up at UPS Stores and never the EOD since the count is never right and I will be doing a pup scan on packages that have already been picked up.

Also (as happened to me this evening) a driver with a UPS Store pup gets done too early for the EOD, so they will sweep the store and another driver who is out later will stop by at closing for the last packages. Tonight I picked up one package but EOD of course read much more including a high value. No way am I scanning that EOD. I just scanned what I picked up.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

AK, just scan the EOD, sign it and write down the number of packages shipped. You would then enter the number of packages (1) that you actually picked up in your DIAD.

aiian

I checked my copy of the methods and the only applicable part in the pickup section is "complete the pickup...with the least amount of effort and time" and "scan the pickup summary barcode." It doesn't say anything about scanning individual packages one way or another.

I was trained to just scan the EoD at scheduled pickups and to enter the number of packages. If no EoD, no scan unless the consignee is adamant and there are only a handful of packages. The whole scan all NDAs, don't include ARS, etc that I'm seeing here hasn't been trained ever here and is not in the methods.

I did find something interesting in the pickups section of the methods though:
"Encourage customer help in moving Over-70 pound packages."

Where'd you get a copy of the methods?

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
We were told not to scan individual pickups and end of days sometime last year and this week it has bit one of my customers in the ass.

An irreg NDA that I remember picking up and unloading just disappeared into thin air and naturally big UPS is telling them *we* never had it.

Naturally I'm the a*hole.
naturally, everything is our fault even as we problem solve their screw UPS !!!!!!! wow probably want to write that down. That was well said

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
I don't scan them at all. We were told that all the packages get scanned in the building anyway after they are unloaded.

And you are probably right, we probably aren't getting the proper time allowance for picking up these packages, but over allowed means way more to my supervisor than it does to me. I truly couldn't care less about their arbitrary numbers and made up rules.
You mean the bogus report where scratching means scratching my head wondering why there was no explanation for the hour I lost about 5 years ago. Satellite time studies aren't accurate and taking the national delivery time average and using that for everyone is unfair.

dduttonnc

We were told not to scan individual pickups and end of days sometime last year and this week it has bit one of my customers in the ass.

An irreg NDA that I remember picking up and unloading just disappeared into thin air and naturally big UPS is telling them *we* never had it.

Naturally I'm the a*hole.

I've had issues with drivers not scanning on pickup then packages being lost. Ups needs a policy change requiring drivers to scan EVERYTHING they pick up to protect ups and the seller.

To protect myself, I installed a motion triggered video doorbell. So if a driver fails to scan, I have proof of pickup. Plus my iPhone and iPad alert me and I can run out and ask them to be scanned. But some drivers cop attitude and refuse to scan them.

NonDeliverOtherMissed

ARS's get the special scan. Airs should be included in the end of day.
When I was being trained on a new route the sup. told me to scan all the ads packages in the pick up screen not special accounts....apparently you get more credit for pick up pieces then u do special accounts....idk why, it's all the same, your picking up a package

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I've had issues with drivers not scanning on pickup then packages being lost. Ups needs a policy change requiring drivers to scan EVERYTHING they pick up to protect ups and the seller.

To protect myself, I installed a motion triggered video doorbell. So if a driver fails to scan, I have proof of pickup. Plus my iPhone and iPad alert me and I can run out and ask them to be scanned. But some drivers cop attitude and refuse to scan them.

Leave a nice handwritten note on some nice stationary asking your driver to please scan all your packages at your door. That might work.

Or

Leave a cold beverage and a note saying please scan packages at pick up.

That'll probably get it done instead of coming on the Internet or running outside after your amazing motion sensor bell goes off and it rings your iPad so you can get up from the couch.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Scanning a pickup package links it to our center if something happens to it. That's why we are told not to scan them. It's all about reports at UPS.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
Only NDA's and end of day reports. If a customer specifically asks that I scan individual packages, I will if there are not alot of them. If there are alot, sorry need to contact your sales rep to get the software

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We are supposed to scan all packages at on call pickups and apologize for the driver(s) not doing their job(s) with your packages.

DOK

I scan everything I pickup, never was told not to.