Do you have any respect for drivers who never worked on the inside?

By The Book

you dont understand preload, as it currently exists, at all
I think the other poster is saying that it would benefit both parties if the preloader for this driver went on car for half the day. Last I checked a preloaders job is to load packages in a predetermined spot and to use common sense. Sometimes a driver gets frustrated when things are not where they should be and would like to have the preloader retrieve these packages so they understand how packages out of place can affect a drivers day. Sorry so long winded! Flip side is maybe the driver should load your set to appreciate what loaders go thru as well.

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
I don't have a problem with off the street hires, PERIOD.

I HAVE ZERO RESPECT, for the :censored2:bag teamsters that are off the street hires and have a blatant lack of respect for the pt brothers and sisters and their daily toils. No, you don't have to know how to load, in order to drive, but, I've never belonged to anything (team, committee, labor force) where the people who were lucky enough to avoid paying their dues were allowed to carry on arrogantly, the way you do UPSTATE. Your attitude sucks. I guess the diferrence between me and you, and yes you personally, is I know that when my mouth runs loosely and arrogantly there is always someone who'll shut it for me. You need to learn some class, especially when speaking through an annonymous forum. You're a little leaguer.

Last edited:
S

selfcancelsignal

I prefer the co. go with inside FT as opposed to off the street hires. Whether it's preload or local sort, it seems like it just helps you understand the whole operation better. That being said, I get along & work very well (taking stops & vice versa on bad days) with the 2 outside hires just below me on our seniority list, & pretty much any & all drivers at our center, for that matter.

Sent while chasing down unnecessary Dish Network call tags.

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
Would someone please tell me how knowing how to put packages on to a truck should be a prerequisite to knowing how to deliver them?

Resident know-it-all.
It shouldn't. Because the company pays chumps $8.50/hr to do it for you.

I give off the streets the same respect that I give to the vets.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I started off with this company in 1976 as an unloader/porter. I unloaded trailers in a sort and load center for about 3 hours, then after the drivers left, I swept floors, emptied garbage cans and cleaned commodes to get my 5 hrs/day. Did it for 14 months, 2 peaks. Signed for a package car job and got it. There were only 3 part-timers in this building, and the other 2 were in the middle of classes at college. Drove pkg for 9 years, went into feeders in 1987. Retired this year. We only had 1 street hire in feeders in my time there. I sweated my :censored2: off for 10.5 years, and this guy walks in and gets a feeder job? All gravy for him. And yeah I had a problem with that. A majority of the other drivers did as well. Most of them shunned him. We spoke if something needed to be said, but I didn't go out of my way. And yeah, Dragon, I wasn't crazy about a new supervisor who just went thru DTS in Chicago for 3 weeks, who never drove a tractor for a living, tell me I need to do this, and this, oh, you're doing this wrong.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Would someone please tell me how knowing how to put packages on to a truck should be a prerequisite to knowing how to deliver them?

Resident know-it-all.

Dear, dense, Dave,

Most aren't saying you need to know how to load in order to deliver. They are saying that, rightly, part-timers should have first shot at driving jobs.

They are also saying that as loaders, they should have the same respect afforded drivers (remember that "disposable labor" remark?).

I was an off-street hire, and at the time I think we had all of six people on the pre-load. I know we had only two on the local sort. I realized real quickly that if it was as hard as it was getting the stuff off, it had to be equally, at least, hard getting it on.

Chill out, you aren't carrying the company on your shoulders.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer

Resident know-it-all.
It has no bearing at all.
You simply cannot grasp ( or are being willfully ignorant and trolling) that people who work Part Time and are waiting on going full time despise someone who skates in off the street and scores the job without paying any dues. When I was Part time waiting to go FT i always loved seeing an Off the Street driver washout.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If the Company and Union didn't want outside hires they would have kept that language out of the contract. It was 3:1 when I was hired---it is 6:1 now and in some centers they are having to beg insiders to go driving.

I understand fully about "paying dues". I am ahead of 3 drivers who have more company time than I do.

The truth is I don't care about any of that. I was hired under a contract provision you guys approved. I am no less a driver than the ones who worked their way up and my pension check will not have an asterisk denoting "outsider".

Resident know-it-all.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I absolutely have respect for them. I cannot imagine being an outside hire, driving would be the least of what they need to learn.
We agreed to it in the contract, why should we be vindictive toward them?

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
If the Company and Union didn't want outside hires they would have kept that language out of the contract. It was 3:1 when I was hired---it is 6:1 now and in some centers they are having to beg insiders to go driving.

I understand fully about "paying dues". I am ahead of 3 drivers who have more company time than I do.

The truth is I don't care about any of that. I was hired under a contract provision you guys approved. I am no less a driver than the ones who worked their way up and my pension check will not have an asterisk denoting "outsider".

Resident know-it-all.
you were hired under a contract that he majority do NOT approve

Packmule

I have respect for anybody who can do the job. My beef is when a part timer wants to move up and gets held back by someone hired off the street. UPS should have to exhaust their inside resources before going to the street.

PT Car Washer

I have noticed that drivers that come from the pre load tend to catch on a bit faster then those coming from the hub. Pre loaders have a good idea of how the packages are loaded by delivery order.