Do you have any respect for drivers who never worked on the inside?

PT Car Washer

I have respect for anybody who can do the job. My beef is when a part timer wants to move up and gets held back by someone hired off the street. UPS should have to exhaust their inside resources before going to the street.
I think my building has exhausted all the inside resources.

aiian

As long as the guy next to me can carry his own weight I truly could not care less about how he got his 'cushy' driving job.

S

selfcancelsignal

I have respect for anybody who can do the job. My beef is when a part timer wants to move up and gets held back by someone hired off the street. UPS should have to exhaust their inside resources before going to the street.
In our center, it seems like the center manager goes out of his way to find some reason that the inside guys we have aren't good enough. It's prob. based on attitude, past grievances, & etc. Out of the last 7 guys hired at our center, only 1 has come from inside.

Sent while chasing down unnecessary Dish Network call tags.

PT Car Washer

On "a truck"?

How about 4-5 at one time? Plus pick and pull.

I respect those preloaders.
In 1/2 to 1/3 the time it takes one driver to do one route. With one 10 minute break and a PT Nazi yelling at you to go faster. The only employees who have it worse are the PT pre load sups.

10 point

In 1/2 to 1/3 the time it takes one driver to do one route. With one 10 minute break and a PT Nazi yelling at you to go faster. The only employees who have it worse are the PT pre load sups.
I don't feel sorry for PT sups.

If they're respectful we respect them back.

If they're little Hitlers with little time spent learning and doing the job we go the extra mile to help them "get their minds right".

scisector9

I am an off the street hire and I will say I feel privileged and honored to wear my browns. It may not be as special as it used to be as we can not get pters to step up to the plate to drive at the moment. We have exhausted our ratio and have to start pulling from the outside. I think 2 of our last 5 have been off the street hires as we do not have the people to go driving. Honestly it is mind boggling to me that out of several hundred employees we can not find anyone qualified and or interested in working hard to make 80k a year.

In my center I do not get disrespected nor do I treat anyone with disrespect. We are all in this together. I even quit saying no to quality loads a few months ago as I do not see it the preloads fault for the hand they are dealt. Although I have not done any of their jobs I do not think there is such a thing as an easy job at this company. Everyone works hard and gives it their all.

For what its worth I find that the people brought up in the system are more likely to gripe, complain, and cause trouble. Although this mold doesn't fit across the board I think that those hired from the outside, especially recently, recognize that the pay and benefits this job provides are second to none. I do not regret or feel unthankful for the opportunity provided to me and my family.

My only gripe would be starting out at 17.25 is a hard living. 35 dollars is a bit overpaid in my opinion, but 17.25 is a kick in the nuts so to speak. I'm happy I am in the 3 year progression and my new driver brothers and sisters will be making a whole 1.50 more an hour or 3600 dollars a year more than me starting out.

Don't hate the off the street hires if they are working as hard as those who came up in the system. We bleed brown also, and appreciate the opportunity given to us.

Cheers!

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
I am an off the street hire and I will say I feel privileged and honored to wear my browns. It may not be as special as it used to be as we can not get pters to step up to the plate to drive at the moment. We have exhausted our ratio and have to start pulling from the outside. I think 2 of our last 5 have been off the street hires as we do not have the people to go driving. Honestly it is mind boggling to me that out of several hundred employees we can not find anyone qualified and or interested in working hard to make 80k a year.

In my center I do not get disrespected nor do I treat anyone with disrespect. We are all in this together. I even quit saying no to quality loads a few months ago as I do not see it the preloads fault for the hand they are dealt. Although I have not done any of their jobs I do not think there is such a thing as an easy job at this company. Everyone works hard and gives it their all.

For what its worth I find that the people brought up in the system are more likely to gripe, complain, and cause trouble. Although this mold doesn't fit across the board I think that those hired from the outside, especially recently, recognize that the pay and benefits this job provides are second to none. I do not regret or feel unthankful for the opportunity provided to me and my family.

My only gripe would be starting out at 17.25 is a hard living. 35 dollars is a bit overpaid in my opinion, but 17.25 is a kick in the nuts so to speak. I'm happy I am in the 3 year progression and my new driver brothers and sisters will be making a whole 1.50 more an hour or 3600 dollars a year more than me starting out.

Don't hate the off the street hires if they are working as hard as those who came up in the system. We bleed brown also, and appreciate the opportunity given to us.

Cheers!
If you had to sweat your ass off in a hub for years at $9 hr, pt, you'd never say you were over paid as a driver. Oh, you make too much money? Take your ass to walmart and pass out carts.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Don't forget about peak....where we work midnight-9 or 930am with a 10 min break.

I respect any driver who can do the job....off the street hire or not.
And people with Upstate's little Midol attitude of well, this is just a PT job for you...I'm a driver. It may be just a PT job....but it's one I will NEVER quit. I'm a lifer...as much as any driver on here. And until I can land a FT position ...I'll be on preload till I can't get my walker through the door anymore. What other company can I go work for making what I do an hour, with free health insurance and 5 paid weeks off a year plus holidays? Hmmm.....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you had to sweat your ass off in a hub for years at $9 hr, pt, you'd never say you were over paid as a driver. Oh, you make too much money? Take your ass to walmart and pass out carts.

FedEx Ground has clearly shown that our drivers are overpaid. I am in no way advocating that we be paid Ground wages but $35/hr is quite generous for a job which requires only a drivers license. Wages in the range of $25-30/hr would be more appropriate.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
FedEx Ground has clearly shown that our drivers are overpaid. I am in no way advocating that we be paid Ground wages but $35/hr is quite generous for a job which requires only a drivers license. Wages in the range of $25-30/hr would be more appropriate.
Dave....in your opinion, what's an appropriate top wage for a PTer?

10 point

Why dont you write a check back to the company every Friday for about $400 and then you could sleep better at night?

10 point

Fedex Ground has "clearly shown" that they can't keep drivers.

They lost drivers every 6-12 months on my previous metro bid area.

And, by the way, their job is performance based pay culminated by the amount of pkgs they pickup, etc unless they are subcontractors working for subcontractors. Without benefits. But that kind of job may diminish your Roth.

Last edited: