Do you need a steward to put in Grievances?

Coldfeer234

Steward is lying and not putting in my grievances. Told me he put it in and yet I never signed it.

DO I have to directly go to my steward for grievances or is there another way?

SoCalUPS

All depends what the practice is at your hub. Some locations, all grievances are submitted by a steward. This creates one point of contact. All grievances can be numbered in a sequential order for better record keeping. Other hubs, members submit then give copy to the steward. Make sure that your grievance has merit, is for a contractual violation, past practice etc. Don't expect a steward to submit a grievance for you that states "I was disciplined for a safety violation but Joe and Jane Doe never get any discipline"..etc. Your grievance should be as vague as possible. Now is not the time to argue your grievance. Narrow it done to violation, when, who and relief requested

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Steward is lying and not putting in my grievances. Told me he put it in and yet I never signed it.

Was it on an "official" grievance form ?

Why did you not sign it ? That might be the problem.

If you're going to file a grievance....

Be man enough, to put your signature on it.

DO I have to directly go to my steward for grievances or is there another way?

Go to your BA

You can file a grievance through your BA and Local Union.

As long as, you follow the proper (contractual) grievance procedure.

All depends what the practice is at your hub. Some locations, all grievances are submitted by a steward. This creates one point of contact. All grievances can be numbered in a sequential order for better record keeping. Other hubs, members submit then give copy to the steward. Make sure that your grievance has merit, is for a contractual violation, past practice etc. Don't expect a steward to submit a grievance for you that states "I was disciplined for a safety violation but Joe and Jane Doe never get any discipline"..etc. Your grievance should be as vague as possible. Now is not the time to argue your grievance. Narrow it done to violation, when, who and relief requested

The only thing I can add to that is;

The 5 W's.

Who, what, when, where, and why.

If you are not sure of the contract language violation....

Include the statement "with any and all articles that may apply".

Print your own.

Good idea.

But, it might not be accepted.

"It shall be the responsibility of the employee to reduce the grievance to writing on the regular grievance form provided by the union"

https://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/06242014_77983_central_region-final.pdf

The members dues money, pays for this.

Use it.

-Bug-

Coldfeer234

-

What are you talking about, buddy? I gave him the 5 W's and he is supposed to fill out the grievance form. I've filed before but not with this Steward.

10 Pt

You can file a grievance through your BA and Local Union.

As long as, you follow the proper (contractual) grievance procedure.

The only thing I can add to that is;

The 5 W's.

Who, what, when, where, and why.

If you are not sure of the contract language violation....

Include the statement "with any and all articles that may apply".

Good idea.

But, it might not be accepted.

"It shall be the responsibility of the employee to reduce the grievance to writing on the regular grievance form provided by the union"

https://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/06242014_77983_central_region-final.pdf

The members dues money, pays for this.

Use it.

-Bug-
I was joking. Did the local won't stick up for him? We don't have enough information in my opinion.

Coldfeer234

I was joking. Did the local won't stick up for him? We don't have enough information in my opinion.
No, I just don't think this Steward is filing the grievances. There is a 5 day window for the grievances to filed in my building, and I have not signed for one grievance when I have filed two weeks worth.

Rack em

Made the Podium
No, I just don't think this Steward is filing the grievances. There is a 5 day window for the grievances to filed in my building, and I have not signed for one grievance when I have filed two weeks worth.
Take the initiative and fill the form out yourself, it's relatively simple. Then take Stewey in the office with your center manager and file the grievance.

It sounds like your steward is not doing his/her job. Even if there was no basis for a grievance and it wasn't file, he/she should still be communicating with you and explaining his/her actions or lack there of.

Coldfeer234

Take the initiative and fill the form out yourself, it's relatively simple. Then take Stewey in the office with your center manager and file the grievance.

It sounds like your steward is not doing his/her job. Even if there was no basis for a grievance and it wasn't file, he/she should still be communicating with you and explaining his/her actions or lack there of.

I didn't know I could fill out the forms myself. I don't even know where to find them. I always just gave the Stewards the date/time/who/what etc and they filed for me.

10 Pt

Write down all the dates pertaining to your conversation(s) with the steward, what he/she said, if you contacted the local, who you talked to there and their response because if you're getting played you have grounds to file labor charges against the local.
Having a two faced local sucks and other people have the same issue.
Run for office or steward when it comes up next time because it SOUNDS like you may not be the only one getting polluted union representation.