Do you need a steward to put in Grievances?

You need a representative to fill out your findings on the grievance to hold a good case... Or sometimes it looks like he said she said... Like everyone else is saying, you have a five day window from the time the problem happened, to the time it gets to management (manager and above)... Best is to get your stew or BA to get involved... Also time stamp all you grievances... There is a time clock in every bldg. You just have to know where to look... It's a better paper trail. Good luck.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I didn't know I could fill out the forms myself. I don't even know where to find them.

Your Steward should have them.

Or, contact your Local.

Write down all the dates pertaining to your conversation(s) with the steward, what he/she said, if you contacted the local, who you talked to there and their response because if you're getting played you have grounds to file labor charges against the local.

Good advice.

Carrying a small notebook to document things, is always a good move.

You need a representative to fill out your findings on the grievance to hold a good case.

It can be helpful, but not required. (unless your supplemental contract language calls for it)

Also time stamp all of your grievances... There is a time clock in every bldg. You just have to know where to look... It's a better paper trail.

Yep.

While you are at it.... time stamp entries into your personal log.

OP;

Your interactions with the Steward and him filing grievances for you, is not normal.

Some pro-active investigation, is warranted on your part.

-Bug-

Rack em

Made the Podium
Yep.

My Local's grievance form is a 4 page carbon copy type.

1) Goes to the Local

2) goes to the company

3) goes to the Steward

4) is for the grievant

-Bug-
These sound the best! Our forms are just a piece of copy paper with a grievance number on it :/

22.34life

Our practice in my local goes like this. Member writes grievance. Steward signs grievance and takes it to manager for his signature. Steward returns grievance to member for him or her to take or fax to hall.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Our practice in my local goes like this. Member writes grievance. Steward signs grievance and takes it to manager for his signature. Steward returns grievance to member for him or her to take or fax to hall.
That's how it should be everywhere!

22.34life

As a steward I get people that want me to write the grievance for them or think that it's "my job"to turn the grievance in for them.i help people write them u know give them article # etc. But I'm not writing it for u and I'm sure not driving it to the hall for u.people think this is because I'm just not going out of my way but when a steward takes a members grievance it now becomes my responsibility and therefore the responsibility of the local.an intent to terminate or suspend is not something u want to be accountable for.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As a steward I get people that want me to write the grievance for them or think that it's "my job"to turn the grievance in for them.i help people write them u know give them article # etc. But I'm not writing it for u and I'm sure not driving it to the hall for u.people think this is because I'm just not going out of my way but when a steward takes a members grievance it now becomes my responsibility and therefore the responsibility of the local.an intent to terminate or suspend is not something u want to be accountable for.

No one is asking you to write their grievance but it absolutely is part of your job to submit them on the member's behalf.

Our union hall is 90 miles away-----do you think it fair to ask the member to drive 180 miles to do your job for you?

We actually have a feeder driver who passes through that town drop them off for us while on his break.

Rack em

Made the Podium
No one is asking you to write their grievance but it absolutely is part of your job to submit them on the member's behalf.

Our union hall is 90 miles away-----do you think it fair to ask the member to drive 180 miles to do your job for you?

We actually have a feeder driver who passes through that town drop them off for us while on his break.
Why not just fax the grievance to the union hall so they have it right away and then mail the hard copy?

542thruNthru

In my local you do not need a steward to file a grievance. It's a 3 page carbon copy. You fill it out with the help of a steward if you need it. Hand one copy to the center manager send another copy by mail to our local or drop it off. You keep the last.

Our local usually contacts you with in 2 to 3 days of mailing the copy.

22.34life

First off "job"infers that stewards get paid by the hall which we dont.its the members grievance not mine.i help them write it present it to manager and get it signed then my responsibility is over.once again as a steward if u take a members grievance it is now the responsibility of the local and the member can blame the local and the steward if anything happens.do u know how many grievances I sign off on,so how would I get them to the hall take them one by one or wait until I have several,now Remember grievances are time sensitive.i would be going to the hall every day or faxing them which cost money.

22.34life

As a steward if i fax a members grievance and it says successfull on my end but the hall doesn't receive it now it's my fault.let the member be responsible for there own grievance.