Do You Recognize Your Co-workers?

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I get it.

That, what you think or spew is as significant as a fart in the wind.....probably less actually.

True. All you can do is laugh.
2CBE858F-24DF-4E80-B15D-4F9D1FED79B2.jpeg

Undertow

As I was scanning my fellow co-workers during PCM I realized the amount of co-workers I don't know has exceeded the amount that I do. I remember a time when I knew everybody--preloaders, unloaders, drivers, etc. Now I find myself wondering all the time "who's that?" or "where is...? I haven't seen them in a while." My center has grown so much over the years.

I'm not very nostalgic, but I do miss the days when I knew everybody. It felt like family (sort of).

Am I the only one that misses this? Do you work in a center where you know everybody? I feel like we all need to wear those "hello, my name is" name tags now.
I felt the same way once everybody at work stopped shaving. I couldn't tell any of them apart!

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

My building originally had three centers. I was in the smallest one and we all got along and talked before shift started. I’d go there early just to talk to these guys. They folded the center and split the guys between the other two, then they opened another building and split everyone up again. There’s not too many left I originally worked with. I never bothered getting to know anyone in the new center. I really could care less. I show up a minute to start time, skip the pcm, head right to the truck and leave. I get back to the building and bail as soon as I can. Leave my phone on do not disturb. I’m not there for friends anymore. I just want my money. Of course I never bothered with supervisors, but these new young ones that take sensitivity classes are snakes in the grass. I had to deal with those old dog supervisors that acted like drill instructors and were :censored2:s, now these new ones try to be all buddy buddy and nice but they’ll throw you under the bus at the first opportunity. Never thought I’d say this but I miss the old mean supervisors at least you knew what you were getting and getting it right at your face.

Last edited:

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
My building originally had three centers. I was in the smallest one and we all got along and talked before shift started. I’d go there early just to talk to these guys. They folded the center and split the guys between the other two, then they opened another building and split everyone up again. There’s not too many left I originally worked with. I never bothered getting to know anyone in the new center. I really could care less. I show up a minute to start time, skip the pcm, head right to the truck and leave. I get back to the building and bail as soon as I can. Leave my phone on do not disturb. I’m not there for friends anymore. I just want my money.
I watched my circle get smaller over the years too. Never really felt like getting to know anyone else either. Came in, went out, came back, went home. Repeat.

Last One In

I work in a smallish center. Management is pretty lax about what jackets we wear. Allow us to wear brown hoodies. A mom and pop place on my route orders them and puts the logo and a name on the jackets. The only way I know the names of the new drivers is by ordering for them. Sometimes embarrassing to ask them, "Sorry. What's your name again? I'm not good with names."

Overpaid Union Thug

Here the “veteran” drivers refer to the unknowns by behaviors until (if) we know their real names. Such as…

Clown That Won’t Make Pickups,
Driver Follow Up Boy, Ash Tray, Mr Call In On Fridays, Stinky, etc.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
Here the “veteran” drivers refer to the unknowns by behaviors until (if) we know their real names. Such as…

Clown That Won’t Make Pickups,
Driver Follow Up Boy, Ash Tray, Mr Call In On Fridays, Stinky, etc.

I think Ash Tray and Mr Call In On Fridays are the two most senior drivers in my center.

AttackedHawk34

I come In 3 mins before start time. Ain't nobody got time to chit chat and relationships. I Get to the truck leave and get it done and go home.

ManInBrown

Stopped into my old center a few nights ago to pull a load. I knew about 15 package drivers names out of 80 something on the board. Rest all new since I left a few years ago.

rod

Retired 22 years
I come In 3 mins before start time. Ain't nobody got time to chit chat and relationships. I Get to the truck leave and get it done and go home.
We used to associate after work at a bar a couple blocks from the building. On Fridays the wives would all join us. We also did lots of vacationing, hunting and fishing and camping with others on the weekends. We were a tight group. Now days it appears they do none of that.