Does anybody actually enjoy working for UPS?

Est.1998

Attachments

• 0C09736C-B5B0-4128-8899-31C23208AB6A.jpeg
    0C09736C-B5B0-4128-8899-31C23208AB6A.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 88

MattM

Since air is so time sensitive I expected the airport to be a madhouse. Pushing production like crazy. It amazes me how laid back and zero :censored2:s given the air operation was.
I expected the same. It's a different world.

We're at the mercy of weather and air travel times 99% of the time. But you can't really make up too much time. There is a limit on how fast you can unload an aircraft. We're allocated between 40 minutes for a 757 to hr and a half with say an Airbus. Half of our volume is sorted on site for feeder delivery, the rest goes to the delivery and main hub for sorting. How fast they unload and process their stuff may be quicker.

Feeders have commit times but they're never over the top about making us work too fast. 80% of the time, the trailers are loaded and we're just waiting on the feeder drivers to make their runs. Many do multiple runs 2-3 times, So theres no point in going too fast most times.

Even your early ams, where drivers wait around with a list isn't too hectic. You'd think the earlys would be segregated nicely. But they're all mixed in. We end up missing one-two a day.

Don't get me wrong. We still sweat and work pretty hard during the main sort operations. But it's not 4-6 hrs of straight hectic pace like the hub. We're an hour in, 20 off, 2 hours on, 15 off. Etc. You can definitely get spoiled with that pace.

Airbear

I love it. Piloting a big crappy vehicle, listening to tunes, observing and interacting with morons, hotties, weirdos, friends, picking stuff up and putting it down. I don't go to bed on piles of cash, but i'm happy and don't have to deal with much mngmnt or FT-type problems.

Zowert

For a half decade I stood in front of 16-17 year olds teaching US/World History. A combination of wretched teenagers, entitled parents and a demoralizing salary burned me out. I was fortunate enough to get hired on as an RPCD one summer where I qualified before the beginning of the school year, so I resigned. Now I’m making almost three times what I did as an educator with far better benefits.

I like the job and yeah, I kinda look forward to each day. It is a grind though.

no_map_needed

Knowledge is key, Experience is power.
If you mind your own business its a great job. Don't get sucked into drama and don't whine like a mamas boy. If you leave the lot and are still thinking about the job then idk...

UPSER1987

If you mind your own business its a great job. Don't get sucked into drama and don't whine like a mamas boy. If you leave the lot and are still thinking about the job then idk...
You’ve hit the nail on the head! Our center is like day care center in the office. Do your job and quit whining about everything and worrying about other people’s drama.