Does anybody like their job?

DenverBrownDotCom

After you've been through three marriages, and missed every one of your childrens plays/concerts/special events, and you wake up in the morning with a sore back/knee/shoulder you will find that you can look back with compassion and say "what the friend--- did I do that for". Of course you will also be able to say "thank god" for my pension/healthcare/wages etc. Get it? It's a job. The company is hard on you. You are nothing but a number to them. If they aren't making money, you will go! The best is thing at the end is you will thank god you had a good union job. Don't want a union job? Go work for Fed up for less money and benefits.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

After you've been through three marriages, and missed every one of your childrens plays/concerts/special events, and you wake up in the morning with a sore back/knee/shoulder you will find that you can look back with compassion and say "what the friend--- did I do that for". Of course you will also be able to say "thank god" for my pension/healthcare/wages etc. Get it? It's a job. The company is hard on you. You are nothing but a number to them. If they aren't making money, you will go!

This sums up our jobs perfectly.

The best is thing at the end is you will thank god you had a good job. Don't want a good job? Go work for Fed up for less money and benefits.

Exactly.

After you've been through three marriages, and missed every one of your childrens plays/concerts/special events, and you wake up in the morning with a sore back/knee/shoulder you will find that you can look back with compassion and say "what the friend--- did I do that for". Of course you will also be able to say "thank god" for my pension/healthcare/wages etc. Get it? It's a job. The company is hard on you. You are nothing but a number to them. If they aren't making money, you will go! The best is thing at the end is you will thank god you had a good union job. Don't want a union job? Go work for Fed up for less money and benefits.

But if you work at GM you are kicking yourself for not going to that Toyota interview.

sealbasher

Is there anybody working for UPS that likes their job?
I am not saying this to stir the pot, I am worried.
I chose this career (still waiting my turn to drive) but now it bothers me that it seams like everyone hates their job.
I understand that some come here to complain and even in a job you love there are days that a bit of complaining is in order.
Is there anybody that the whole package works for, that gets along with management, that doesn't have a underlying resentment of the company eating them up?

Is there anybody that would recommend the job to their son or daughter?

I got nothing else to do

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
I understand that you are a rookie on here and at ups! And a lot of us on here have between 10 and 30 plus years working for ups and i will tell you that this is a "real trucking" job!!!

You still unload trailers and have not put in your time to compare stories with us that have been doing it as long as we have!

Your comparing other trucking companies that back in to a dock and load or unload skids for less money that we make! Imagine if all we did was 20 stops a day, but we don't! Many of us do well over 150 stops a day and work 9 to 11 hours daily.

There is no harder trucking job out there then what a ups driver does! And until you have put your time in you should really be careful how you talk to a seasoned veteran!

Your still wet behind the ears! And i dont want to hear that you are 30 plus years old with a family! That's means **** when compared to a ups driver doing this for 20 years!
Look at the post I was responding to and read againwhat my response was. Wasn't even talking about delivering the packages, I was talking about the trucking part of it. And, yeah I'm a rookie here but I had over a million accident free miles before I came here. I'm only unloading trailers because there isn't enough work in feeders. I wouldn't want to do the job the package drivers do.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Look at the post I was responding to and read againwhat my response was. Wasn't even talking about delivering the packages, I was talking about the trucking part of it. And, yeah I'm a rookie here but I had over a million accident free miles before I came here. I'm only unloading trailers because there isn't enough work in feeders. I wouldn't want to do the job the package drivers do.

And go read the post I made that you responded to. I wasn't talking about delivering packages either, nor was I talking about the trucking part of it.

I was saying, being happy about the job PAY is all relative to where you live.

If you live in NYC and LA, 80k a year is peanuts. If you live in Alabama or FLorida or etc, 80k is a goldmine.

Therefore when I hear that someone living in FLorida buying a huge 5br 3ba home for 300k absolutely loves their delivery job with UPS, it's all relative to that instance. Here the same house is 600k to a mil, so you bet that person won't be as happy with working at UPS.

And people will say money does not buy happiness, that is NOT TRUE. Buying a nice house, nice car, college for the kids, etc etc IS happiness and part of a happy life; and what does it take? You guessed right.

\

705red

Browncafe Steward
In many parts of the country it takes you 5 years of mart time to get in to package car. And an additional 10 plus years to get in to feeder. I do not expect you to understand since you were hired right in to feeder. Just imagine loading/unloading and working another fulltime job for 5 years.

While a million miles accident free is huge in itself, its still peanuts to what a lot of us have gone through to get higher up with this copmany.

Sit back and learn, respect is earned and not just giving is all im saying.

Big Babooba

I love my job despite the spittin' and sputterin' that I do. We are among the last of the Mohicans. There aren't that many businesses where you get to go out and service the customer on their premises.

When I was a child (some may say that I still am), it was a given that you had deliveries made to your house. The corner grocer , milkman and produce man used to deliver to your door. In his youth, my father used to peddle bread from a horse & wagon for his parent's bakery. Doctors used to make house calls. The pharmacy would deliver your prescriptions. Around here, even the local packie would bring you your "medicine":happy2:. Except for a few scattered exceptions, this is not done anymore.

In the mid 30's my grandparents motorized the operation. The last truck they got was an early International Metro van. My grandfather used to take me on deliveries in it. They retired it in 1963 and went to a station wagon. It sat in the stable for a few years. I used to sneak in and open the sliders, climb up into the seat and "drive" it. I actually cried when they towed the old brown truck away - yes it was brown! I guess driving brown trucks is in my genetic makeup. Maybe I'm trying to relive my youth?:happy-very:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Big, I think truck driving is in a lot of our genetics. I am a truck driver. It does not matter the type of truck, or the method of delivery. I AM a truck driver. I always will be. I love my job as far as that goes. There is no amount of money that can entice me to go into management. It is not and never will be in my blood. I am a blue collar worker. It has defined part of my life for as long as I can remember.