Does anybody like their job?

UPS Lifer

Although I must agree with the micro management of division managers, and it doesn't stop there. The district managers are in the same boat.

So my position toward the end of my career was to accept the orders given, execute the plan, and if it worked, good for the operation. If it didn't work, then a new plan had to be developed and implemented.

Usually a plan developed by myself and my managers. I would take the heat either way, by either following a plan, that I knew wouldn't work, or using my own plan and get results.

And I wasn't one of the vulgar bipolar females, just a UPS management person, who used her business and common sense to get results.

I've always taken the position, your life is what you make it, and the same with your job. There will be bumps in the road, but for the most part, it's a satisfying and rewarding lifestyle.

Well said! As far as I was concerned, they pointed the boat in a certain direction but I and my team had to row that boat. One way or another it was my responsibility - I like sleeping at night.... Do what is right, treat people right, and you don't have to make excuses to anyone. and guess what? ... you can sleep at night! When you can sleep at night that is a pretty good day!

When you fail, make a plan to do something different and better. and guess what? You can sleep at night!

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
99.9 percent of the time I would rather choke on pig vomit and punch my testes than drive to the center and be a well paid mule .. minus the paycheck this job is completely hollow to me...................

brownboxman

I have always liked the job itself, the ability to be on my own and be respected by customers and developing relationships and building friendships with those you see everyday. As Tieguy was saying we are working in a different world right now, the squeeze is on and we are the bottom rung. I don't want to work for this company anymore the way it is being run right now. The people who are my sups and center manager do not like their job and are counting days till retirement, how can a work group be successful when all the players are looking down the road. I have 4 more years and I will retire from UPS no matter what. I would never suggest to one of my kids or friends that they work at UPS, not now. We have only seen the beginning of a very bad work environment in my opinion.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I just long for the days when I was beat to hell at the end but the next day I went back, heard "thanks for the nice job" and kicked in the nitro and did it again. Now you are beat to hell, go in the next day, get kicked in the groin, and try to find a way to do something better than you did the day before to make some number magically different.
It no longer works.. Instead of looking forward to another day, I feel like puking when I pull in the lot.
And its not just me, and yes the economy is bad, and we are lucky to be working. Aside from that, UPS management style whether ruled from the top down, is just so bad it has ruined the morale, in some of the best, hardest working people I have ever known.
Ok enough.
It has reached the point of diminished return. The turnip has run dry, and it doesnt even bleed anymore.
There is no way even if UPS got rid of all the "heavy weight" of us older drivers it will continue to be productive.
Although the younger drivers, and Im not saying there are not great ones coming in, in any way, will ever be able to keep up the product, as they will not be allowed to. And my customers care about the relationship with their daily people. They want and need that personal attention. If we do not give it to them someone else will.
Its really disgusting to see and hear the crap going on.
And then there is the minute between stop report........................
I had this pulled on me the other day. When they want to do that, get a cup of coffee and take a deep breathe, while they go get your delivery records and your time card. as there is no way you can possibly discuss this ridiculous report without those other two, but they will want you to.

NHDRVR

Toonertoo, you hit upon something here, the new drivers will most definitely not be able to keep pace with expectations. It takes a while to see and learn how the company runs. You don't get thrown into a truck, memorize some phrases, and figure it all out. It takes time, routes, weather, training, and numerous trips in the office to see how the chain of command works and how you as a driver should respond. Why UPS thinks that the new wave of DIAD's, GPS, and PAS will create an instant driver is ridiculous. Humans deliver and drive, not software.

filthpig

Is there anybody working for UPS that likes their job?
I am not saying this to stir the pot, I am worried.
I chose this career (still waiting my turn to drive) but now it bothers me that it seams like everyone hates their job.
I understand that some come here to complain and even in a job you love there are days that a bit of complaining is in order.
Is there anybody that the whole package works for, that gets along with management, that doesn't have a underlying resentment of the company eating them up?

Is there anybody that would recommend the job to their son or daughter?
Would you like some CHEESE to go with your WHINE?
I thank God every day for my job. I'm on track to make about 85k for driving a truck. I get better benefits than anyone I know and I have more job security than the vast majority. I get 6 weeks paid vacation that I have to take. Not bad for someone with no college.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
I thank God every day for my job. I'm on track to make about 85k for driving a truck. I get better benefits than anyone I know and I have more job security than the vast majority. I get 6 weeks paid vacation that I have to take. Not bad for someone with no college.

Yes - but you didn't answer the question.

Typical. Your assessment of the original post is not only rude, but wrong. There was not one sentence in Sano's opening post that was a complaint or (as you put it) a whine. He asked a pretty simple question that you could have answered in a simple"Yes", yet you chose to slam the OP and add a bunch of drivel about how lucky you are to making soooo much money to be an uneducated individual. Good job.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Tooner, You said it so eloquently. Bravo! Good job.

It took me 2 yrs before I got even halfway proficient at my job. As far as the DOK, I still can't say it verbatim. When I did my training I spent weeks, literally, non stop studing it. That was when I was on preload and had the time. I know but I can't say it out load. And when I had to know it for training I didn't have to say it out load, it was written.

wisedragonfly

I have worked for UPS for the last 24 years. I love my job and proud to be a UPSer!

In my opinion, poo runs down hill and all companies have their share of poo. UPS just happen to be brown! I know this because I listen to my own grown children come home from their jobs and complain about their managers and supervisors and other work issues. None of my children work for UPS but their stories sound like some of the complaints I read on BC. Face it, there will always be a ____ to deal with, no matter where you work. It's a fact!!

Yes, I'll admit there are some good days and some bad days. In fact, when I left work the past Monday, the minute I got into the car to head home, I broke and cried like a baby. It was a really bad day!! I won't bore you with the exact details but I'll say I was pissed at my corporate contact in a bad way and extremely overwhelmed with the work load created by the downsize and merging of districts. It was such a bad Monday that I really didn't want to go to work on Tuesday, but I knew that work was setting on my desk that needed to move, so I sucked it up and headed off to work. I'm glad I did because Tuesday was a good day.

Yes, I've had my share of a good managers and supervisors, as well as the bad ones. In fact, I've had some that I believed didn't deserve to hold a UPS position, much less be a manager or a supervisor. However, I also see the same trait among some hourly employee's that I've worked with over the years. There is nothing that annoys me more than working next to a lazy person who works harder trying to get out of work than actually completing their assigned work.

When I weigh the good against the bad, I am a happy camper and proud to work for UPS.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I have worked for UPS for the last 24 years. I love my job and proud to be a UPSer!

In my opinion, poo runs down hill and all companies have their share of poo. UPS just happen to be brown! I know this because I listen to my own grown children come home from their jobs and complain about their managers and supervisors and other work issues. None of my children work for UPS but their stories sound like some of the complaints I read on BC. Face it, there will always be a ____ to deal with, no matter where you work. It's a fact!!

Yes, I'll admit there are some good days and some bad days. In fact, when I left work the past Monday, the minute I got into the car to head home, I broke and cried like a baby. It was a really bad day!! I won't bore you with the exact details but I'll say I was pissed at my corporate contact in a bad way and extremely overwhelmed with the work load created by the downsize and merging of districts. It was such a bad Monday that I really didn't want to go to work on Tuesday, but I knew that work was setting on my desk that needed to move, so I sucked it up and headed off to work. I'm glad I did because Tuesday was a good day.

Yes, I've had my share of a good managers and supervisors, as well as the bad ones. In fact, I've had some that I believed didn't deserve to hold a UPS position, much less be a manager or a supervisor. However, I also see the same trait among some hourly employee's that I've worked with over the years. There is nothing that annoys me more than working next to a lazy person who works harder trying to get out of work than actually completing their assigned work.

When I weigh the good against the bad, I am a happy camper and proud to work for UPS.
Excellent post, but I have said all the same things you did before. And I am hoping the cyclical cycle of crap is once again turning. It seems to be stuck. I assume you work in the office end. while also hard, it isnt as physical, and when you have physical, and emotional stress, it isnt as easy to cover up, as when you have a bad day in the office. I know, I have done both. And I have left work crying and I have broke down in mid day. I dont do it anymore. I have had the days where everything goes smooth and I wonder why some days I think its hard, and then the days where no matter how hard I whip myself, I know everything in that baby truck is mine and I cant go home til it is over, empty and I get to go home finally. And then I get kicked to the curb coz I didnt do better. Lazy people, yes Ive seen them. Do I know any at the moment, Nope. I saw a lot in mgmt, harder to pass off in hourly.
I see kids half my age, who are overwhelmed. I see people in their 50s trying to do what is now impossible, even on a good day.
Its not just how you look at things, that is babble. I had a stellar attitude, It has changed, Im sorry it has, and it isnt coz I dont wear my rose colored glasses or realize how lucky I am. I do. But Im also a real human with feelings, with a life and a family, and a job I used to take pride in and an ethic, that was above most. And I have been reduced to being looked at like a p**ssed off middle age woman, who just soaks the clock. Mgmt who tells me to put businesses in post cards as out of business so they wont be send agains. Void them as closed even though they were. Now who will the customer yell at for that? And what does that say about our service? Telling a driver to deliver a doctors office to the docs home, like that doc wants to load his porsche with boxes in the am. And get a letter coz he doesnt. Now thats service with a smile. Ok Im gone. I could go on. But some people just know one side and Im glad they are happy. I know Im not.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Excellent post, but I have said all the same things you did before. And I am hoping the cyclical cycle of crap is once again turning. It seems to be stuck. I assume you work in the office end. while also hard, it isnt as physical, and when you have physical, and emotional stress, it isnt as easy to cover up, as when you have a bad day in the office. I know, I have done both. And I have left work crying and I have broke down in mid day. I dont do it anymore. I have had the days where everything goes smooth and I wonder why some days I think its hard, and then the days where no matter how hard I whip myself, I know everything in that baby truck is mine and I cant go home til it is over, empty and I get to go home finally. And then I get kicked to the curb coz I didnt do better. Lazy people, yes Ive seen them. Do I know any at the moment, Nope. I saw a lot in mgmt, harder to pass off in hourly.
I see kids half my age, who are overwhelmed. I see people in their 50s trying to do what is now impossible, even on a good day.
Its not just how you look at things, that is babble. I had a stellar attitude, It has changed, Im sorry it has, and it isnt coz I dont wear my rose colored glasses or realize how lucky I am. I do. But Im also a real human with feelings, with a life and a family, and a job I used to take pride in and an ethic, that was above most. And I have been reduced to being looked at like a p**ssed off middle age woman, who just soaks the clock. Mgmt who tells me to put businesses in post cards as out of business so they wont be send agains. Void them as closed even though they were. Now who will the customer yell at for that? And what does that say about our service? Telling a driver to deliver a doctors office to the docs home, like that doc wants to load his porsche with boxes in the am. And get a letter coz he doesnt. Now thats service with a smile. Ok Im gone. I could go on. But some people just know one side and Im glad they are happy. I know Im not.
Tooner, I wish I could disagree with you. I can't. I almost wish I had started years ago just so I could say, remember when. I've only been doing this for 4 yrs. I've never known a kinder UPS. I know I will never see it either.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Tooner, I wish I could disagree with you. I can't. I almost wish I had started years ago just so I could say, remember when. I've only been doing this for 4 yrs. I've never known a kinder UPS. I know I will never see it either.
We had a lady retire with 30 yrs. They said so many kind things about her at her send off, which suprised me they even had one that she was reduced to remembering the good times when she wrote her thank you to the manager and center.
I called her tonight, and I told everyone I wanted her thank you note as I know they will just throw it away. I send I wanted it to remember her, and I collect stuff, and I wanted to use it to have her committed. :happy2:
She was reduced to running 4 hrs late, abused horribly at the end. But now that she has time to think back she only wants to remember the good. Kinda like a bad divorce. Good for her thats healthy.
And good for management doing the right thing.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
I am a fairly new UPSer and I was told by my trainer who had 30+ years that I could count on never being treated fairly because I was a H.O.S.S. I said that was ok because I have had my share of jobs where they treat you different if you were hired because of experience instead of coming up through the system. I know that I am at a disadvantage because I didn't "pay my dues" but I am willing to put up with the favoritism that is given to the guys who have been through the mill. I have alot of respect for the guys who have come through the grinder and are now afforded the opportunity to have things a little more easily. I have more respect for the guys who have chosen to stay in the grinder even when their bodies are telling them they could have it so much easier. But, what some of you don't understand who haven't worked anywhere else is we came through a grinder, also. Ours just wasn't brown. I didn't get to see my daughter grow up. I was a visitor at my house on the weekend. I know we all choose a different path but let's not criticize anyone for the path that has led us all here. I am pretty sure we all came here looking for a job, UPS didn't seek us out.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I hate this job. I hate my co workers, managment, customers, and all the other bastards on the road.
Julaka, I will try and say this tactfully which is far better than a few others will be. Get out now. You will have a long miserable career and it's just not worth it if you hate everything and everyone so much. Save yourself some headaches and find something that you do like.