Does anybody understand the 22.4 jobs and does it affect FT Drivers??

We are finally about to get 22.4 jobs at my center. Major confusion as no one knows anything. A preloader told me they are forcing Tues-Sat on them. I looked at the book but reading something and something actually happens is 2 different things apparently.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
What a question. 22.4 was sold as a way for the company to operate on Saturday for less labor cost and stay competitive with an evolving e commerce market. It is truly a cluster :censored2: of epic proportions and getting worse in many areas. Search for RPCDs forced Saturday threads and you’ll get the whole picture.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
you can't force tue-sat on a 22.4, that's their job description.
They are talking about a forced 6th day. 22.4 forced on mondays and rcpd forced on Saturday.
If your local language does not prevent this ups will take advantage of this and threaten discipline .

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
We’ve been running Saturday ground for about a month now. The company waited until a month ago to start training 22.4s (most have washed out so far). They also waited until a week before to inform the guys on the bottom they were being forced in on Saturdays.

JustDeliverIt

We are finally about to get 22.4 jobs at my center. Major confusion as no one knows anything. A preloader told me they are forcing Tues-Sat on them. I looked at the book but reading something and something actually happens is 2 different things apparently.

22.4's are supposed to be a hybrid job, can drive and work inside the building for about $5/hr less than an RPCD. Haven't seen one work inside yet since they are a cheaper option for the company to deliver packages.

The schedule for a 22.4 is T-S, they are supposed to have Mondays off. But if your center is understaffed, Monday is a 6th punch for a 22.4 and Saturday would still be for a RPCD.

And if you ever want to eventually become a RPCD, at least in my building, you have to get FT as a 22.4 first and then move up to RPCD when people retire/quit/fired and a slot opens up. So if driving is your goal, sign up now and be one of the first ones in to move up first

unloady

22.4 was sold as a full time “combination” job. Like many have posted on here, the position is anything but a combo job. 22.4 drivers in my building haven’t not worked a single day inside the warehouse. They are working 6 days a week delivering all day with threat of discipline for calling out on Monday. The Center manager offers dead days to RPCD drivers to which they happily take, and force in 22.4’s. Blown out routes and 12 hour days are the norm for the 22.4. Do not expect to have your day split into a preload/half delivery kind of job. The real combination jobs are the 22.3 employees which are becoming few and far in between. If you ever want a shot at becoming an RPCD you’ll have to take the 22.4 position and tough it out for however long it takes. RPCD/22.3 jobs are being phased out and will be a thing in the past, next thing on the hit list will be feeder drivers. 22.5 “combination” feeder jobs. LOL.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
22.4 was sold as a full time “combination” job. Like many have posted on here, the position is anything but a combo job. 22.4 drivers in my building haven’t not worked a single day inside the warehouse. They are working 6 days a week delivering all day with threat of discipline for calling out on Monday. The Center manager offers dead days to RPCD drivers to which they happily take, and force in 22.4’s. Blown out routes and 12 hour days are the norm for the 22.4. Do not expect to have your day split into a preload/half delivery kind of job. The real combination jobs are the 22.3 employees which are becoming few and far in between. If you ever want a shot at becoming an RPCD you’ll have to take the 22.4 position and tough it out for however long it takes. RPCD/22.3 jobs are being phased out and will be a thing in the past, next thing on the hit list will be feeder drivers. 22.5 “combination” feeder jobs. LOL.

I asked the question prior to the ratification on the 2018 Contract on how these new 22.4 jobs will be bid. Most everybody presumed that they would be posted similar to the 22.3's, start time, job description, etc.
I never got a clear answer at the contract meeting, the business agents really did not know from their responses.

It was a bill of goods, purely concessionary... and what did we get in return?

I just slimmed the Master from 2018, the starting hourly rate off the street was listed as 21.00 for most of the full time positions, including feeders. The company is in despair need of qualified over the road feeder drivers, with this next contract expect an attempt to sweeten the pot for long term members to take the jump into retirement, particularly with the Central States underfunding finally being resolved. The company will clear out it's older, busted up highly paid union workforce and replace them with younger, healthier and cheaper replacements, subject to those concessionary 4 or 5 year progression wage standards.

My take on the last contract was that the International's blinked, blinked and forfeited any attempt to provide the much needed improvements asked for by the rank and file. It smelled like Cowardice, they took the easy way out and then blamed the members for lousy voter participation.

Overpaid Union Thug

22.4's are supposed to be a hybrid job, can drive and work inside the building for about $5/hr less than an RPCD. Haven't seen one work inside yet since they are a cheaper option for the company to deliver packages.

The schedule for a 22.4 is T-S, they are supposed to have Mondays off. But if your center is understaffed, Monday is a 6th punch for a 22.4 and Saturday would still be for a RPCD.

And if you ever want to eventually become a RPCD, at least in my building, you have to get FT as a 22.4 first and then move up to RPCD when people retire/quit/fired and a slot opens up. So if driving is your goal, sign up now and be one of the first ones in to move up first
No 22.4s working inside here either….but plenty of RPCDs working preload before their routes. Any some of them go home after preload. Which shouldn’t be permitted but is since the extra work language “is silent” on whether or not extra work on preload constitutes them already being on the clock. And despite the fact that common sense says they are.

Some run out of hours by Friday and can’t work or are given a super light dispatch instead.

But management makes little or no attempt to properly staff preload…..with preloaders. So we are occasionally short on drivers and perpetually short on preloaders.

The Teamsters got owned on this issue. And those of us that actually took the time (all of 30 seconds) to vote no to stop it were ignored due to a ridiculous rule and due to the majority of our members being more concerned with watching other peoples’ TikTok videos.

I asked the question prior to the ratification on the 2018 Contract on how these new 22.4 jobs will be bid. Most everybody presumed that they would be posted similar to the 22.3's, start time, job description, etc.
I never got a clear answer at the contract meeting, the business agents really did not know from their responses.

It was a bill of goods, purely concessionary... and what did we get in return?

I just slimmed the Master from 2018, the starting hourly rate off the street was listed as 21.00 for most of the full time positions, including feeders. The company is in despair need of qualified over the road feeder drivers, with this next contract expect an attempt to sweeten the pot for long term members to take the jump into retirement, particularly with the Central States underfunding finally being resolved. The company will clear out it's older, busted up highly paid union workforce and replace them with younger, healthier and cheaper replacements, subject to those concessionary 4 or 5 year progression wage standards.

My take on the last contract was that the International's blinked, blinked and forfeited any attempt to provide the much needed improvements asked for by the rank and file. It smelled like Cowardice, they took the easy way out and then blamed the members for lousy voter participation.
That's why I'm sticking it out to the end of this contract

35years

Gravy route
We have had 22.4s since the beginning. I can't remember, but I think once they use them in a building they have to have a 9.5 list. Is that the deal?

All I know is I get my 9.5s paid with no argument since they have allowed 22.4s.

Extra free money or shorter days...works for me!

JustDeliverIt

We have had 22.4s since the beginning. I can't remember, but I think once they use them in a building they have to have a 9.5 list. Is that the deal?

All I know is I get my 9.5s paid with no argument since they have allowed 22.4s.

Extra free money or shorter days...works for me!

They have no 9.5 protection under any circumstances that I know of.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
22.4 was sold as a full time “combination” job. Like many have posted on here, the position is anything but a combo job. 22.4 drivers in my building haven’t not worked a single day inside the warehouse.
Nobody saw this coming lmao

ps it’s not a warehouse nothing is warehoused in it
It’s a hub