Does anyone here deduct job expenses off fed. taxes

brown_trousers

Tax season is coming in just a few months. I'm wondering if any drivers write off deductions for "job related expenses" in their itemized deductions. Things like union dues, UPS socks, cleaning of uniform, using your cell phone for work purposes, etc...

stepitup

I do deduct union dues, work boots, work gloves, uniform maintenance but not cell phone charges. My center contacts me via the diad and it is my choice how I respond.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

$1,864 last year.

Union dues, socks, sneakers, boots, and $10/week to maintain my uniforms.

Calculating and deducting cell phone usage would be more work than it is worth.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
No. Make too much money in this household. If I remember correctly you can only deduct anything in excess of 10% of adjusted gross income. Spouse is a CPA and has been adding up expenses for years. Have not been able to make the cut yet.

brownedout

No. Make too much money in this household. If I remember correctly you can only deduct anything in excess of 10% of adjusted gross income. Spouse is a CPA and has been adding up expenses for years. Have not been able to make the cut yet.
With Union dues alone screaming up on $1,000 thats a BIG cut right there. 3 pairs of boots, 5 pairs of socks, 1 or 2 new pairs of compression shorts, and leggings, same amount of compression tops and tutlenecks each year to replace the old/worn. Never have a problem reaching this treshold, always deduct.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Just looked at last years tax return. Can only deduct anything in excess of 2% of adjusted gross income. Would need $3300 in job related expenses before I could even begin to use the deduction. Even considering the $1000 in union dues, this cheapskate doesn't come anywhere near spending another $2300 on brown socks!

I GOT ONE MORE

Just looked at last years tax return. Can only deduct anything in excess of 2% of adjusted gross income. Would need $3300 in job related expenses before I could even begin to use the deduction. Even considering the $1000 in union dues, this cheapskate doesn't come anywhere near spending another $2300 on brown socks!

This is the best answer, although I believe it 2.5% of your adjusted gross income. So if you could get your AGI down to $50,000, then you could deduct anything over $1250. (50,000x2.5%). Few of us, if any, receive any benefit from this deduction.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Deducting my unreimbursed job expenses ($1,864) increased my combined refunds by about $250 last year.

If you do your own taxes and use tax software it will let you know it you are better off itemizing or taking the standard deduction.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I pay a CPA and he said I didn't have enough to deduct. And, I can shop. Carhartts, boots, sock liners, glover liners--wow. So, if my CPA says that in NY I can't deduct unless I have xx # of bucks, how can you?

barnyard

KTM rider
Tax season is coming in just a few months. I'm wondering if any drivers write off deductions for "job related expenses" in their itemized deductions. Things like union dues, UPS socks, cleaning of uniform, using your cell phone for work purposes, etc...

Yes. All that and work shoes too.

satellitedriver

Deducting my unreimbursed job expenses ($1,864) increased my combined refunds by about $250 last year.

If you do your own taxes and use tax software it will let you know it you are better off itemizing or taking the standard deduction.
I agree.
I have always prepared my own taxes, thank God for software.
The days of hand calculating 5yr averages, farm tax credits, Schedule C's profit/ loss statements, ect.. are long gone.
The secret is to be debt free and take the standard deductions.
Trust me, over time it can be done.

rocket man

per h r block and i do every year 2 to 3 pair boots 12 dollars aweek washing uniforms 100 a year towards cellphone/ union dues / 401 k / drive.[
united way. 6 pair of socks.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
I deduct work shoes, socks(both brown and white), flash lights and batteries(feeder driver that works at night), gloves, and 50.00 a week to wash my uniforms. Why so much for the wash? The wife doesn't fold them for free!