Does driving Saturday Air count towards your 30 days? (qualifying)

By The Book

So would days I drove in august count?
On a positive note, you should be the next driver hired unless there were multiple part time employees that signed the list you signed and have more seniority than you. You have first hand knowledge how to do the job, when you do start your 30 day packet.

Tomtom

On a positive note, you should be the next driver hired unless there were multiple part time employees that signed the list you signed and have more seniority than you. You have first hand knowledge how to do the job, when you do start your 30 day packet.
I'll just keep plugging away until I make it!

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
So the free period counts even if you won a full-time bid? I didn't do any qualifying during that time of year so I have no clue, I just assumed it was a way to keep RTD and TCD drivers from qualifying.

Also, if Saturdays don't count I wouldn't work them. I don't see how you can run air if you're qualifying for a full-time driving bid but I guess it's different everywhere. If they don't count to help you qualify I'm sure they will still count to disqualify you. Not that you will do anything wrong but you never know what someone else will screw up for you.

Good luck!!

opey

free period applies no matter where you came from. and i would take any days you can get while trying to qualify, because for the next couple of months you probably will be lucky to even work 3 days a week, if they dont lay you off completely. its a foul game they play. id count them and when you get to your 30/40, tell them you got your days in, and not before because then they can stop working you if they might not have been paying attention to your days

free period applies no matter where you came from. and i would take any days you can get while trying to qualify, because for the next couple of months you probably will be lucky to even work 3 days a week, if they dont lay you off completely. its a foul game they play. id count them and when you get to your 30/40, tell them you got your days in, and not before because then they can stop working you if they might not have been paying attention to your days

I got 30 days in during the free period. Depends on if they started you before the 15th of October. It clearly states in the contract if you start after thatdate, you gain no days towards seniority. Atleast according to our BA, would explain why I'm getting paid holiday pay, as well as accruing vacation time after hitting my 30 at the end of October.

opey

you must have made the 30 before the free period then because i know for sure the days dont count even if you started driving before (i have a personal friend who drives in a different building than me, who was strung a long thru 2 peaks before he finally made book). the days from before do carry over until after the free period and you will pick back up where you left off. or if you transferred from an inside seniority position, i think you would still be paid for holidays even if you didnt attain seniority at driving

you must have made the 30 before the free period then because i know for sure the days dont count even if you started driving before (i have a personal friend who drives in a different building than me, who was strung a long thru 2 peaks before he finally made book). the days from before do carry over until after the free period and you will pick back up where you left off. or if you transferred from an inside seniority position, i think you would still be paid for holidays even if you didnt attain seniority at driving

i was an off the street hire. i hit my 30 days after the 15th. the BA told me because i was hired in as FT perm, the free period didn't pertain to me and i would accrue seniority during peak. so as it stands, im showing vacation accruing, holiday pay, 401k and union dues coming out of my check. there were also weeks in november where i did not work 40 works so weeks but got guaranteed pay. im not sure how all that stuff works since i came off the street. I have another friend who is in a center across town and he is in the same boat as me.

Tomtom

Who knows then. I think this all varies due to the regional supplements in the contract. I can't find anything in the master agreement about being exempt if starting before Oct 15th.

opey

i was an off the street hire. i hit my 30 days after the 15th. the BA told me because i was hired in as FT perm, the free period didn't pertain to me and i would accrue seniority during peak. so as it stands, im showing vacation accruing, holiday pay, 401k and union dues coming out of my check. there were also weeks in november where i did not work 40 works so weeks but got guaranteed pay. im not sure how all that stuff works since i came off the street. I have another friend who is in a center across town and he is in the same boat as me.
you must have got lucky then. i was in the same situation, along with at least 5 or 6 other drivers who started around the same time. i started in august, i didnt make book until march or april. nobody made book during the free period, there were guys who literally only needed 1 or 2 days and they stopped working them until the free period started.