Dogs!

satellitedriver

If a big dog is coming at you and you know you are gonna get bit....go into a crouch to lower your center of gravity, bend your right arm in front of your face, and let the dog lock onto your right forearm between the elbow and the wrist. Once it has locked on, place your left arm behind the dogs head. Pull the left arm toward you and push the right arm away from you at the same time. If you do this with enough force you will snap the dog's neck, game over. Even if you cant break the neck, you are using leverage to force the dogs head back and your are keeping it away from your face and neck.
I do sort of the same thing.
I give them my left hand to attack and pull it away as they start to bite.
My right hand goes to their throat and I go from there.

bigbrownman

Brown on Brown
Wear steel toes like myself and lay into them...I also carry a lead pipe in the cab just in case...you know those yards that have those sneaky dogs that lay low and then spring out when your backs turned and bite the back of your leg...or just do like uptown and bag it and throw the package from the truck into the driveway (remember to stay away from the mail boxes kids because thats grounds for dishonesty not to mention its illegal). gotta love those yippety ankle biters, they fly the furthest..

trickpony1

Do your co-workers refer to you as "Rambo"?
Why aren't you in Iraq single handedly terminating the enemy?
You are a machine!

john346

No more Brown!
If a big dog is coming at you and you know you are gonna get bit....go into a crouch to lower your center of gravity, bend your right arm in front of your face, and let the dog lock onto your right forearm between the elbow and the wrist. Once it has locked on, place your left arm behind the dogs head. Pull the left arm toward you and push the right arm away from you at the same time. If you do this with enough force you will snap the dog's neck, game over. Even if you cant break the neck, you are using leverage to force the dogs head back and your are keeping it away from your face and neck.

Have you considered "dusting off & nuking the entire area from space? It's the only way to be certain".... (Movie quote).
Man that is some mono a dogo training! Good luck with those.:weird:

browniehound

Plus if the owners are home, they are sure to come out. They'll know that the UPS guy is there.....or a cruise ship just sailed into their yard. LOL

Great point Impacted! I say this because I get ticked at the customer that asks "why didn't you ring the bell?" in the middle of July. You live on a cul-de-sac with 5 houses on it. Your windows are wide open and your house is 30 feet from the street. You are the 5th house.

I get this from a certain guy who is the 5th house in the circle of 5. It somewhat gets under my skin because there is no mistaking the diesel engine. I pull-up and beep because I have to back a little to make the circle. I leave the pckage and walk back. When I get back he comes out and says "Why don't you ring the bell?"

I'm just thinking to myself, you know I'm hear, why do I have to ring the bell?

I know its the correct method to do so and I do it when its cold or raining, but when its obvious that its a delivery for YOUR house, why do I have to ring the bell?

I think he just likes giving us crap. :sick:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

...or just do like uptown and bag it and throw the package from the truck into the driveway...

First of all, it's Upstate, and, secondly, I never said that I throw the pkg on to the driveway. I get as close to the house as I can and place the pkg, which has been put in to a DR bag, on the ground. If I can make it to the porch (safely) then I do; if not, I get as close as I can. This is very rare for me as most of the houses that have dogs I am able to safely make the delivery but I have had to do it.

I have to chuckle when a kid with less time on the job than I have in the restroom tries to tell me how to do my job.

P.S. Trpl, thank you for keeping me on my toes.

Overpaid Union Thug

Big, I agree with most of what you said (and TRPL, too) but maybe animal control should get invovled with a potential biter. How would you fell if you just whacked the dog and walked away, but the next time the dog tried to bite someone it happened to be a child. Maybe you could have prevented a tragedy by involving animal control. People DO need to be responsible for their animals and law enforcement can make that happen.

I have been bit one time (exactly as Under the Radar described). I reported it to sup and animal control. The dog was quarantined for mandatory 10 days. The 1st time animal control went there the dog was perfect, the 2nd time the dog went after the officer.

People generally don't take the time to train their animals or even pay any attention to them. Dogs need exercise and direction. If they don't get it they get bored and in that boredom they can get destructive and/or aggressive.

I called animal control about a month ago on a pit bull that was lunging at every vehicle and walking person(s) that passed by. It was chained but the chain had too much slack in it. The dog was either going to get hit by a car or bite someone so I called. It was in front of a *#*@! hole house in a #@#* hole part of town. The house is only about 20 yards from the street and many people pass through there because it is a short cut from one side of town to another that many people have started using to avoid traffic lights. I've called animal control before the pit bull incident but it's been a couple of years. I delivered some stuff to them once and started talking to them about this very same subject. They instructed me to call them any time I see a loose dog wondering around an area.

Big Babooba

I've come across a few dogs over the years that loved to bite the truck tires. One owner said that he didn't know why but it only bit UPS trucks.

under the radar

A Trained Professional
Here is something you can do just for fun.

Say you walk up to a house and the customer is not home. You can take some revenge for those days when Mrs. HSN lets the two little Yorkie's out on you as you are walking back to the truck.

Go up to the big picture window and run your hands up and down across the window and watched those two little demons rip the sheer curtains to shreds!

I'm not saying that I've ever done this but conceptually, it sure sounds cleansing.

satellitedriver

Do your co-workers refer to you as "Rambo"?
Why aren't you in Iraq single handedly terminating the enemy?
You are a machine!
You do not know how right you are. (a first)
I know 17 ways to take down any opponent using only my big toe.
The problem for me is I always get beat up while trying to take my shoes and socks off.
(Old Bill Cosby joke.)
I have been a lean, mean delivering machine for the last 22 yrs, but, as with all mechanical things, parts start wearing out.
I truly wish I could terminate the enemy in Iraq and all the others around the world.
BTW, how did you know my nickname ?

satellitedriver

Here is something you can do just for fun.

Say you walk up to a house and the customer is not home. You can take some revenge for those days when Mrs. HSN lets the two little Yorkie's out on you as you are walking back to the truck.

Go up to the big picture window and run your hands up and down across the window and watched those two little demons rip the sheer curtains to shreds!

I'm not saying that I've ever done this but conceptually, it sure sounds cleansing.
Been there, done that.
I was asked by the customer to deliver to the garage instead of the front door, since the they had to replace all the window coverings their dogs have torn to shreds.
Sweet.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The last thing anybody should do to an on coming dog is to go into a crouch. My god, do you actually want to lower your head and neck to the dog?

I seriously doubt in the heat of the fight your neck breaker will actually work.
Crouching lowers your center of gravity and makes you more stable and harder to knock over. If the dog trips you up and gets you on the ground you are screwed. Your head and neck will be fine if you can stay upright and offer the dog a forearm to clamp on to.

New Englander

Crouching lowers your center of gravity and makes you more stable and harder to knock over. If the dog trips you up and gets you on the ground you are screwed. Your head and neck will be fine if you can stay upright and offer the dog a forearm to clamp on to.

Have you ever seen dog training shows or videos?
They never crouch. You can offer your forearm without crouching.

It's like karate and football. In Karate you never crouch to get a lower center of gravity for balance or stability. In football Lineman crouch and stay low for power and balance, trust me you don't want to take a dog on from one of those positions.

You simply can not move as well from a crouched position -------- if your not worried about your head or neck THAT has to be one of the biggest reasons not to.

Slightly bending your knees is not considered crouching.

Dirty Savage

Paranoid Android
If I roll up to a place and there's a dog loose in the front yard I don't even get out of my truck. The package gets sheeted as NI1 and turned in at the end of the day for the clerk to call. I've been bitten too many times and UPS doesn't pay me enough to take that kind of risk.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If I roll up to a place and there's a dog loose in the front yard I don't even get out of my truck. The package gets sheeted as NI1 and turned in at the end of the day for the clerk to call. I've been bitten too many times and UPS doesn't pay me enough to take that kind of risk.
I must be lucky, all the dogs on my route love me. They jump in the truck and lick and slobber on me. In 20 years of driving I have never been bitten.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Yes you are lucky.
I love those kinds of dogs. That is the only kind of dog which anyone should have.
I had one Friday night, a shipper release, and as I walk up to the door, they just happened to have their dog loose, and he chased me all the way to the door of my truck and smashed into the side of it as I slammed the door shut. He must have been dozing under the bushes. So I layed on the horn, no one came and I wondered how bad I would have gotten bit if I wasnt so darn fast. Finally a neighbor came out to get it, and didnt think a thing of the dog being lose. At that point I wanted to just sling the pkg in the drive and leave it there. But I will just throw all his pkgs in postcards from now on. That will get the point across better than anything else I could have said.

Hedley_Lamarr

I got attacked by a toy poodle the other day. I was walking up to the house and from the corner of my eye saw a white puff-ball moving swiftly towards my feet barking, not really barking, kinda "YIFF-YIFFING." Then the little critter started biting at my shoes. I walked to the front door, ringed the bell, when the lady answered (she was Chinese) I asked if it was her dog. Se said "Ohhh nooo dat people across street dog, dat dog crazy."

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I got bit by a pekinese that someone needed to let out to let me see how cute it was. Actually he only got my pant leg. As I used him for a football. The guy apologized and said, "he has never done that before" I think I have heard that as many times as the fed ex ups "joke"
On the local news they actually had a pice on the post office issuing a warning that your mail will not be delivered maybe never if you do not secure your dog, and away from the mailbox. And do not let your dog out to greet the mailperson.

satellitedriver

I took off last Friday. A pit bull bit a cover driver on the left hand. Lots of blood, but only 6 stitches. Saturday night he was in the hospital again with blood poison from the wound.
The sheriff office has the dog under observation for rabies.
Need I say more.