DOK 4 You - Updated List 2014

The DOK's are nothing more than a way for management to shirk responsibility of an injury or accident onto the employee. God forbid UPS ever own any accountability for the predicaments they put us in. Safety committees are one big ruse.

Sent using BrownCafe App

There's nothing wrong with knowing DOK as the basis to build a routine. The problem is when people don't know anything outside the DOK.
Plus, a smart driver knows how to use the DOK to work FOR him against management. When they forget DOK because they want performance the driver can put and end to it pointing out which parts of the DOK it violates.

BigBeef42

I agree, it's what you do that counts, but remember what you know reflects what you do.

Don't limit yourself by believing one over the other.

I slayed the s*&# out of my drive test. I also got a 97% on the written test today.

Honestly it meant more to me when I passed the drive, rather then the written test. The veteran driver who was my on car supe was very happy with me. His facial expression was priceless.

Some of the kids in my class, off the street hires mostly, could barely drive a stick. I don't know how they got into the class. Wow, I thought I was going to die riding with these people. Roller coaster rides.... no s&#*!

I may be a dork but I know damn well if you walk the walk you better talk the talk.

Thanks for all the positive support.

Sent using BrownCafe App

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The DOK's are nothing more than a way for management to shirk responsibility of an injury or accident onto the employee. God forbid UPS ever own any accountability for the predicaments they put us in. Safety committees are one big ruse.

Are you telling me that you can't find any useful information in any of the DOK material? I use the 10 point commentary when driving my pkg car and my personal vehicle. I am more aware when driving and walking on UPS property. I find that I am safer when I follow the 8 keys to lifting and lowering and the 5 keys to avoiding slips and falls.

Everything in the DOK is basic common sense.

What you call shirking responsibility I call giving the employee the tools they need to work and drive in a safe manner.

BigBeef42

Jlamansk-

The DOK has already helped me in my work and personal life. Their are so many bad drivers out there....

You can't change the way others behave on road, the only thing you have control over is your own vehicle. And it's still only 99.9% of the time.

I DO NOT disagree with you- about ups being able to avoid responsibility by teaching us the DOK- but remember their original intention was to keep u safe and to make money by delivering those parcels.

Sent using BrownCafe App[/quote]

Sent using BrownCafe App

Are you telling me that you can't find any useful information in any of the DOK material? I use the 10 point commentary when driving my pkg car and my personal vehicle. I am more aware when driving and walking on UPS property. I find that I am safer when I follow the 8 keys to lifting and lowering and the 5 keys to avoiding slips and falls.

What you call shirking responsibility I call giving the employee the tools they need to work and drive in a safe manner.

I agree.

"Get the Big Picture" is awesome for scoping out the girls in your peripherals without the wife catching on.

Foamer Pyle

Jlamansk-

The DOK has already helped me in my work and personal life. Their are so many bad drivers out there....

You can't change the way others behave on road, the only thing you have control over is your own vehicle. And it's still only 99.9% of the time.

I DO NOT disagree with you- about ups being able to avoid responsibility by teaching us the DOK- but remember their original intention was to keep u safe and to make money by delivering those parcels.

Sent using BrownCafe App

I hear you, but every time someone gets hurt or backed into, they find something in the DOK's to pin it on the employee. I have never worked for a company that buries it's employees on a hit while parked. They come up with every excuse under the sun, as to why it was the employees fault. A decent company would back its employees. Let's face it, if I back up and hit anything, it's automatically my fault at UPS. Someone else backs into me, and it's still my fault. They can take their safety banter with this type of attitude and stick it.
I believe in working safe, and I can do it without rules that are implicitly used to can employees.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Foamer Pyle

I disagree with the manner in which UPS uses the information. The DOK's did not exist when I was hired, however we always had the 5 seeing habits. The company is begging for injuries with the ridiculous stop counts and 150 + pound packages. I stand behind my original post. They have created a hazardous work environment, and instead of addressing the real issues, they chose to blame employees.
I believe that after 25 years of service, I can call it as I see it. My back and knees are still in good shape, and the only injury I have had occurred when I was a rookie.

Sent using BrownCafe App

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I disagree with the manner in which UPS uses the information. The DOK's did not exist when I was hired, however we always had the 5 seeing habits. The company is begging for injuries with the ridiculous stop counts and 150 + pound packages. I stand behind my original post. They have created a hazardous work environment, and instead of addressing the real issues, they chose to blame employees.
I believe that after 25 years of service, I can call it as I see it. My back and knees are still in good shape, and the only injury I have had occurred when I was a rookie.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Most all the injuries aren't even injuries that happen because of something we did wrong or unproper. Most of them are repetition injuries from your joints wearing out from the same motions and movements everyday.

BigBeef42

Jlmanesk-

I completely agree. I'm hoping that now the recession is over, the turn em and burn em attitude will lessen (but it's never going to go away).

Even as a partimer, they stick anything they can on you to fire you. It's cheaper for ups to bring in 2 or 3 newbies to replace a high seniority worker. This is nothing you guys alreardy dont know. Also newbies fight less and never grieve. Cowards

Sent using BrownCafe App

rod

Retired 22 years
After all these years I still know the 5 thing-a-ma-bobs and a couple of the do-hickeys but it all just boils down to using common sense. All the book learnin and memorizing won't do you jack sh-t if you have no common sense. It boils down to UPS wanting it both ways. Out of one side of their mouth they SCREAM faster-faster and out of the other side they preach safety so they can cover their butts when something happens---as it will when you try to go faster- faster.