Don't be dumb

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I had a complaint called in because I would not enter a home and place the heavy as hell Omaha Steaks cooler in the kitchen. Apparently at my center this is OK to do since they were elderly and the other driver(s) do it.

Yeah, I felt bad and probably could have done it without recourse but I was always taught not to enter a home. If ya can't lift the dang thing into your own home, then maybe you shouldn't order 80lbs of steaks. I know everyone will bash me for saying that but oh well...

No, it's not okay, even if it's common practice in your center. Go ahead and damage something while bringing a package into someone's home and watch what happens.
P.S. I'm not saying don't go the extra mile for the elderly or disabled--just that corporate policies can't be thrown out the window at certain centers.

As a rule, we should not be entering homes, but would it have really been that big of a deal to have carried the steaks in to the kitchen? What if this had been your grandparents' home?

Yes, we are all in a hurry and, yes, we are not supposed to go beyond the threshold of the door, but there are exceptions to every rule, based on the situation.

To the OP----you already know that you did not take care of the customer and are trying to hide behind the "don't go in to people's homes" rule to justify your poor decision. I hope that you will think about this and will do the right thing if this should occur again.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

...and that's why I wouldn't enter. Yes I felt bad and probably would have been pissed if that was my mother in that situation but I am not getting caught up in a trick bag be it damage the customer's property, get accused of theft or inappropriate conduct, etc...No thanks. I work hard for the money I make and I am not about to lose it over something stupid like anything I mentioned.

If you were to have gone in to their home and accidently caused damage to their property UPS would have taken care of the damage, much the same if you were to bump something while making a delivery to a commercial stop.

oldngray

nowhere special
If you were to have gone in to their home and accidently caused damage to their property UPS would have taken care of the damage, much the same if you were to bump something while making a delivery to a commercial stop.

That would be considered an incident. Like if you broke something wheeling packages inside with a handcart.

Packmule

Yup. Only time I ever was conflicted was this diesel mechanic place I used to deliver to. Every day the poor guy would look at me with greasy hands under a hood like really? I had the owner of the shop sign a standing SDN releasing UPS of all claims and the center manager signed the bottom making it legit. Even that isn't by the book but best option without putting my job in jeopardy.

Sent using BrownCafe App
What do you mean not legit? I've got dozens of customers set up this way and was instructed to do so by mgt. all they've asked me to do when I use one is add that days date. No center manager ever signed one either.

jaker

trolling
As a rule, we should not be entering homes, but would it have really been that big of a deal to have carried the steaks in to the kitchen? What if this had been your grandparents' home?

Yes, we are all in a hurry and, yes, we are not supposed to go beyond the threshold of the door, but there are exceptions to every rule, based on the situation.

To the OP----you already know that you did not take care of the customer and are trying to hide behind the "don't go in to people's homes" rule to justify your poor decision. I hope that you will think about this and will do the right thing if this should occur again.
Do not listen to this post , you was right not to go in just because someone is old doesn't make them nice

I don't care how old or handicap I will not step past one step in the house and for you Dave to think that ups will have your back you are being really foolish

You can't compare a commercial stop to a resi stop

jaker

trolling
I truly hope whomever delivers to your Grandma's house has more compassion than you do.
And if they are doing their job right I wouldn't have a problem with it

You can't get mad at person for doing their job like they are told to , remember we don't make the rules we just follow them

So if it brothers you so much then get in touch with your management friends at ask the CEO to change the rules

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I was a package driver back in the day where signing for stuff was pretty commonplace. I had a residential stop who got a package about once a month. The guy who answered the door would be buck naked and acted like it wasn't a big deal. Id get him to sign, but before I got back to my package car, I'd throw the pen away in his ditch. I used gimme pens anyway. The last few years I'd just sign for it and hand the package to him. Too much icky factor for me.:eek:

Packmule

...and that's why I wouldn't enter. Yes I felt bad and probably would have been pissed if that was my mother in that situation but I am not getting caught up in a trick bag be it damage the customer's property, get accused of theft or inappropriate conduct, etc...No thanks. I work hard for the money I make and I am not about to lose it over something stupid like anything I mentioned.
Yet if they are not home you will enter their garage, shed, etc trying to comply with out of sight/weather language. You just made my case! Thanks!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

And if they are doing their job right I wouldn't have a problem with it

You can't get mad at person for doing their job like they are told to , remember we don't make the rules we just follow them

So if it brothers you so much then get in touch with your management friends at ask the CEO to change the rules

He even said that he felt bad about it so there was something in the back of his mind that told him that it just wasn't right to not help Memere (this is for the boys from New England) out.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I was a package driver back in the day where signing for stuff was pretty commonplace. I had a residential stop who got a package about once a month. The guy who answered the door would be buck naked and acted like it wasn't a big deal. Id get him to sign, but before I got back to my package car, I'd throw the pen away in his ditch. I used gimme pens anyway. The last few years I'd just sign for it and hand the package to him. Too much icky factor for me.:eek:

You delivered to Inde's house?

wayfair

swollen member
I had a complaint called in because I would not enter a home and place the heavy as hell Omaha Steaks cooler in the kitchen. Apparently at my center this is OK to do since they were elderly and the other driver(s) do it.

Yeah, I felt bad and probably could have done it without recourse but I was always taught not to enter a home. If ya can't lift the dang thing into your own home, then maybe you shouldn't order 80lbs of steaks. I know everyone will bash me for saying that but oh well...

no bashing here.

they can open the 80# box at their door and unload it a little at a time

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
What do you mean not legit? I've got dozens of customers set up this way and was instructed to do so by mgt. all they've asked me to do when I use one is add that days date. No center manager ever signed one either.
Because while I do it too, its not legit. The only SDN that is acceptable per the methods is the back of the infonotice. Much like the house call that leaves a white lined paper on their front door "Please leave my package on the back porch, signed soandso."

If you ever had a claim for a high value arise, you'd find out from LP. Legally a properly executed release would absolve the company of liability and you by extension, but we're not supposed to take any SDN except the back of the infonotice.

Sent from my 28 year old brown truck

Packmule

Misunderstood. Thought we were talking about infonotices. I leave them pads of notes to sign off so I can take one as needed.

oldngray

nowhere special
Because while I do it too, its not legit. The only SDN that is acceptable per the methods is the back of the infonotice. Much like the house call that leaves a white lined paper on their front door "Please leave my package on the back porch, signed soandso."

If you ever had a claim for a high value arise, you'd find out from LP. Legally a properly executed release would absolve the company of liability and you by extension, but we're not supposed to take any SDN except the back of the infonotice.

Sent from my 28 year old brown truck

UPS prefers infonotices be used for SDN because it has a barcode to scan that makes tracking easier but any signed note is still OK. You still can't (or shouldn't) use any signed notice for a high value package. Or at least I wouldn't.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll

Quick question for you there, Dave. Are we a delivery service? If we make contact with our customer, have we not made a successful delivery? If the answer to both of those questions is yes, then per UPS methods, he DID take care of the customer.