Dont come to my state if your a drinker

klein

Für Meno :)
You should not drive drunk,but lets be real here one,two or three beers is not drunk unless your a 100 lb 16 year old thats never had a drink in his life.Some of you guys post in this thread are hard to believe ,saying you have never drove after having a drink not even one beer,give me a break.Here is what i want to know what does my dwi which just fyi i have none have to do with my job unless i got it on company time.What someone does in there own time is there buisness not their jobs.So lets recap lets say you stop off at a sports bar on your way home to watch the tale end of the lakers game while there you run into some friends and buy you a beer you say im just a few miles from home no big deal one wont hurt,then on your way home you get pulled over for going 5 miles over the speed limit the cop saw you leaving the sports bar and smeels the beer you just got a dwi and now you lose your job how can anyone in their right mind believe this is fair.

That's basically what happened to me once.
I didn't even want to go to the bar, but the Shell gasstation next to it. Just needed cigs. Happened to be, it was a Sunday at 9pm, Shell was closed, so I thought, ok, pay the extra $2.00 get cigs next door at the bar.
Needed change for the machine, so had 1 (ONE) beer, and bought my cigs.

I left and drove off, didn't even get half a block away, and "serve & protect" had their lights on... making me pull over.
Guess, I had a burnt out tail light, so that gave them the cause.

Anyways, they didn't believe I only had 1 beer. I told them, if you guys are standing here, just waiting for patrons to leave, you must have seen me walk in just 15 minutes ago or less !
They wanted to haul me downtown, tow my car, etc.
I know you're suppose to be polite to police, but yes, I had to counter back, saying I'm innocent with just 1 beer.
That went on for a while, then they finally gave me a portable breath analyser test. I blew the "orange". Not red, not green, (this is over 12 years, ago, no portable digital numbers in those days). So, they gave me a 24 hrs drivers license suspension, and now told me they would tow my car, because it can't be parked there on that busy road.

So, now I had to fight about that, which went on for a little while, until I said, well, let me push it around the corner, to a safe parking spot.
They agreed finally on that. I did it, all by myself. They wouldn't help (they are called "serve & protect" for other reasons, I suppose).
If I couldn't do it (move the car on my own), then they would have towed it.

Needless to say, I had to walk about a mile and a half home.
Same distance the next day, to pick up my car (shouldn't have before I got my license back). - Then off to cop shop to retrieve my license.
All that for a pack of cigs,(and 1 single beer) !

Almost forgot, ofcourse a ticket for the burnt tail light. $30 or something like that.

moreluck

golden ticket member

Originally Posted by 22.34life
You should not drive drunk,but lets be real here one,two or three beers is not drunk unless your a 100 lb 16 year old thats never had a drink in his life.Some of you guys post in this thread are hard to believe ,saying you have never drove after having a drink not even one beer,give me a break.right mind believe this is fair."

There are people on Browncafe who don't drink AT ALL, so they are never behind the wheel with a buzz on!

22.34life

Originally Posted by 22.34life
You should not drive drunk,but lets be real here one,two or three beers is not drunk unless your a 100 lb 16 year old thats never had a drink in his life.Some of you guys post in this thread are hard to believe ,saying you have never drove after having a drink not even one beer,give me a break.right mind believe this is fair."

There are people on Browncafe who don't drink AT ALL, so they are never behind the wheel with a buzz on!
Well good for them, i dont drink either but i do know that other people do and like i have said in other post on this thread what i do on my own time is my buisness not my jobs and any law or rule that links what you do in your own time to penaltys at work is wrong and intrudes on all of our rights.people seem to miss the point of this its not the dwi its the intrusion of your employer into your private life .Most of you are probably the type of people who defend redlight cameras because they make you safe or
credit checks on a job interveiw.​

pemanager

You should not drive drunk,but lets be real here one,two or three beers is not drunk unless your a 100 lb 16 year old thats never had a drink in his life.Some of you guys post in this thread are hard to believe ,saying you have never drove after having a drink not even one beer,give me a break.Here is what i want to know what does my dwi which just fyi i have none have to do with my job unless i got it on company time.What someone does in there own time is there buisness not their jobs.So lets recap lets say you stop off at a sports bar on your way home to watch the tale end of the lakers game while there you run into some friends and buy you a beer you say im just a few miles from home no big deal one wont hurt,then on your way home you get pulled over for going 5 miles over the speed limit the cop saw you leaving the sports bar and smeels the beer you just got a dwi and now you lose your job how can anyone in their right mind believe this is fair.

Just MHO, but what you do on your own time should not impact your job (unless you lose your license) but one beer will not put you over the limit. Even two beers wont unless you weigh around 100 pounds. People are not getting DUIs for having just one beer.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

22.34life, count me among those who support red light cameras and credit checks at job interviews. The first keeps us safe by identifying those who seem to have forgotten "red means stop, green means go". The second is simple--if you can handle your finances you can handle this job.

UPSF Peeon

22.34life, count me among those who support red light cameras and credit checks at job interviews. The first keeps us safe by identifying those who seem to have forgotten "red means stop, green means go". The second is simple--if you can handle your finances you can handle this job.

you can handle these nuts

Last edited by a moderator:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Just MHO, but what you do on your own time should not impact your job (unless you lose your license) but one beer will not put you over the limit. Even two beers wont unless you weigh around 100 pounds. People are not getting DUIs for having just one beer.

That is not necessarily the truth. It depends on the license you have. Az. legal limit is .08 but federal limit for cdl holders is .04. So, yes, one can technically get a dui after having only one beer.

PassYouBy

Unknown Acrobat

Wow, I haven't been on BC for a while, and I don't feel like looking for past posts from 22.34life, but are all his/her posts this absurd?

How can you even think this way 22.34? I mean, have you really sat back and thought of what you typed?!!

If you are a UPS driver and you get caught drinking and driving on your own time and receive a DWI or DUI, then your ***** should be fired! Grow up and be a responsible adult!! Call a cab, friend or etc... (Its that friend'ing easy). There is no reason that you should even be behind the wheel of an automobile if you had 1 or 200 drinks!

rod

Retired 22 years
Wow, I haven't been on BC for a while, and I don't feel like looking for past posts from 22.34life, but are all his/her posts this absurd?

How can you even think this way 22.34? I mean, have you really sat back and thought of what you typed?!!

If you are a UPS driver and you get caught drinking and driving on your own time and receive a DWI or DUI, then your ***** should be fired! Grow up and be a responsible adult!! Call a cab, friend or etc... (Its that friend'ing easy). There is no reason that you should even be behind the wheel of an automobile if you had 1 or 200 drinks!

I would agree on the 200 drinks but come on now---1 drink? I used to have to drive by a bar and a church on the way home from work every night. I had more close calls with elder people pulling out of the church parking lot "drunk on God" than I ever did going by the bar.

PassYouBy

Unknown Acrobat
Rod, what if you pulled out of a parking lot one evening with your wife/kids in the car and got hit by a UPS driver that was off the clock on his/her own time that only had "ONE" drink and he/she killed your family? Would you be lenient on that driver? Would you tell the police officer, "Officer,If you find that he only had one drink, Ill let it slide". Or would you want him/her to be responsible for his/her actions? I.E...Loss of driving privileges and even the loss of his job!!

This is just my opinion and I don't expect everyone to believe what I believe.

klein

Wow, pyb, it must really piss you off when you go dining out, and you see most people have a glass of wine with their meals.

There are a few rare countries on this planet that have zero tolerance of any alcohol in your blood/system, however.

But 1 single drink, in my opinion does not limit your availabilty to drive, unless your on strong medication that you shouldn't be driving in the first place.

If that driver was reckless or speeding, now thats another topic. And I would agree with you.

PassYouBy

Unknown Acrobat
Wow, pyb, it must really piss you off when you go dining out, and you see most people have a glass of wine with their meals.

There are a few rare countries on this planet that have zero tolerance of any alcohol in your blood/system, however.

But 1 single drink, in my opinion does not limit your availabilty to drive, unless your on strong medication that you shouldn't be driving in the first place.

If that driver was reckless or speeding, now thats another topic. And I would agree with you.

Nope Klein it does not piss me off. I just hope they would be a responsible adult and let the person who is not drinking to take the wheel when they leave!

When I have a glass of wine, I do it in the comfort of my own home. If we go out to eat I normally let my wife have a drink and I will make sure I drive home!

So, if the driver that was in the scenario that I came up with was going 2 m.p.h over the speed limit, you would agree with me then?!

klein

Not sure where you live, but in most cities or areas, if you don't drive an extra 2 mph per hour, your holding up traffic !

Lue C Fur

Evil member

There are many studies that show even 1 drink does impair your judgement. If you agree or not thats fine but why risk your life or someone elses for a drink...just wait till you get home or have someone drive for you. I like to have a beer at a nice resturant with my wife and if i do that then she wont have a drink and she drives home or vise/versa...why take the chance.

22.34life

Only people with no life would research past post which I'm sure u did because it must be hard to have a life not being able to drink one drink and drive.life is not guaranteed and accidents happen with or without alcohol. You must not live in reality but I'm sure in your world everything is perfect and nothing bad ever happens. In the real world stuff happens maybe a wreck had something to do with a beer maybe not.

UnderThe Radar

In general, most state laws specify that intoxication is obtained at either .08% OR impairment to the slightest degree. There is a level of subjective interpretation involved on part of the police officer in determining intoxication.

In other words, it is imperative that if you are pulled over for speeding 5-20 MPH over the limit, etc., that you convince the officer that not only do you drive like an idiot when you have had "1 or 2 beers", but that you drive particularly dangerously when stone cold sober. In no way is your breaking the law by speeding related to your drinking, in other words. You simply speed all the time (which you probably do anyway). This negates the law. You must make it abundantly clear that your 1 beer over dinner IS NOT related to your speeding.

If you are over .08 and are pulled over for a simple traffic violation (not swerving, causing wrecks or driving obviously drunk), or are stopped at a DWI checkpoint, and asked if you have had anything to drink tonight, just simply say no. It is their onus to prove otherwise. It is not a crime to lie to a police officer. They are not stupid: By admitting to 1 or 2, you have probably had 6 to 10 and they know it. This lends probable cause for further testing. If you just say no they will probably move on unless you smell like a brewery.

Plead the 5th whenever possible, always say NO to any searches or seizures, and do not ever think that these people are your friends. YES you mind if they take a look around, YES "I will comply with field testing to determine sobriety (otherwise you just earned an aggravated), but what is your probable cause?"

The testing may continue if the officer pushes it, but if the constitution were violated at any point during the investigation all evidence can and should be thrown out on the day in court.

It also helps to have balance problems related to the inner ear, astigmatisms, and problems "understanding english" during the testing, along with logic issues related to counting backwards, or forwards, involving some pre-existing brain injury.

I know it sounds as though I condone such tactics. I don't. However, I don't think many people even feel it when at a .08. Is it fair to lose your job, and your whole life, when deemed "intoxicated" yet you feel perfectly fine? Not at all. This is not to say that I don't think you are statistically placing the overall public in danger by your actions, and that your actions are extremely retarded by driving drunk in the first place, regardless of perceived levels of intoxication.

I enjoy drinking, yet I won't drive if I've had even one. It's an extremely strict rule for myself, and one that I recommend for everyone. In most states, if you are convicted in the administration hearing (not the court), whose only function is to ascertain whether the police officer had probable cause to suspect you of dwi, you lose your ability to drive commercially for 2 years, even though your private license is only lost for 1 year. As you know, the NMUPSA only protects loss of licence for 1 year, hence an automatic termination.

I have 15 years with the company, and a spotless driving record.

Would I employ my tactics if pulled over for speeding for 5 over and I had 1 or 2? Absolutely. The law is on your side if you just shut your mouth and stand up for your constitutional rights. The punishment most definately does not fit the crime by "being honest."