Don't put yourself in this situation.

oldngray

nowhere special
And I've told them more than once, "get your kids out of the street"

I don't usually have a problem with kids playing in the street if there is little traffic and someone is watching them if they are little. If they block the street and won't move or aren't watching for cars then I do object. At least they are outside getting some fresh air and exercise.

Foamer Pyle

Look under you vehicle every time you come back to it?

What's next, look to see if kids climb on the roof?

It's a terrible tragedy, but the blame is on the parents.

I have 3 kids and trust me when they were 5, we watched them like hawks.
I have to agree with you, the blame is on the parents, but we know UPS will fire the driver. So many parents just don't want to be responsible for their own kids, just like that parent at the zoo. They always want to blame someone else too.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
When I was growing up, one of my older brothers' friends was at a local beach. (In Texas you are allowed to drive on all beaches, and the beaches are all public) A little girl ran in front of him to get a beach ball. He ran over her and killed her. The little girl turned toward him right before he hit her and looked him in the eye. That has haunted him the rest of his life, as I'm sure this incident will as well. My heart and prayers go out to the child's family as well as the driver involved.

oldngray

nowhere special
The contract doesn't specify an exact length of time to call it in. Maybe he didn't have his phone and took that long to get to a phone? 45 minutes seems to fall in a gray area. Soon but not immediate. I would expect that driver to get his job back.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The contract doesn't specify an exact length of time to call it in. Maybe he didn't have his phone and took that long to get to a phone? 45 minutes seems to fall in a gray area. Soon but not immediate. I would expect that driver to get his job back.

I think he was off for a week.

He had his phone and 4 bars of service.

He was trying to cover up what had happened.