Don't vote yes unless UPS pays you $1000.00

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Because you don't have a shuttle. Ask your twin brother to translate.

What about the guys who have to wait at the guard shack to be cleared on their way in and out of work? Shouldn't they be compensated for their time?

I think that the better way for the company and local 89 to have handled this would have been to rework their supplement to include "shuttle incentive" language. Calling this a bonus is deceptive, has proven to be divisive and could cost the company a lot more than $9.3M before all is said and done.

co-chair

Have local 89 demand 1000 per year payable on august 1st of each year no split bonus like pay raise last two years 20 per week is a joke local 89 produces the highest revenue in the country ups can afford to all of hard working 1000 per year for five years stick by your guns local 89 you will prevail good luck all

DON CUMMINGS

The company has not met the members needs in the last best and final offer for the air district supplement. They have not fixed the shuttle problems, they have offerred an unacceptable number of full time jobs. They have not fixed our problems with subcontracting. They have not allowed part timers to have their cell phones. The company is insulting us by trying to buy this contract with a bonus.
Tell the company that you can not be bought.
vote no!!!!!!!!!

Inthegame

The company has not met the members needs in the last best and final offer for the air district supplement. They have not fixed the shuttle problems, they have offerred an unacceptable number of full time jobs. They have not fixed our problems with subcontracting. They have not allowed part timers to have their cell phones. The company is insulting us by trying to buy this contract with a bonus.
Tell the company that you can not be bought.
vote no!!!!!!!!!
Two questions for big font Don. Why would a part timer need a cell phone when on the clock? How did the world operate without cell phones?

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
Two questions for big font Don. Why would a part timer need a cell phone when on the clock? How did the world operate without cell phones?
Part timers where I'm from get breaks. What if they want to use their cell phones while on a break to make a personal call?

DON CUMMINGS

The air district is several hundred acres. Most of the members have to ride a shuttle to get from the guard shack to the door of the building where they work. Then some have to walk from the door a long distance to clock in. This sometimes takes over twenty minutes. Getting out is sometimes a lot worse. None of this is paid. Sometimes a part timer will spend over 40 minutes a day on a shuttle to get to work 3 hours. All of the shuttle ride is unpaid. People should be able to use their cell phones during this ride, while on break, while waiting to work(off the clock), and in the case of an emergency. Several thousand people work in the air distrct. It can be hard to get in touch in an emergency.

Shooter

Oh, I thought you meant the double edged sword is how the UAW helped to bleed the U.S. Auto industry to the point where they are today and had to lay off thousands of employees. It's not the only reason, the cars were for a great while, poor quality with poor fuel efficiency and the designs weren't good.
chill out dude I just made the weather stripping for the windows.............DAMN

upsset

Question for local 89, was your local pursuing this shuttle allowance before the contract or did the company just pull the idea out of thin air?

Satuirus2000

Question for local 89, was your local pursuing this shuttle allowance before the contract or did the company just pull the idea out of thin air?

Our local has been trying to have us compensated for our time spent on shuttles for the past several contracts over the years, but it was always met with indifference and the company has never shown ANY interest in trying to pay us for it. Even with this contract, during negotiations the company still did not want to take the idea seriously. It wasn't until the local urged people to vote no on the National and Air Rider contract that the company got scared, and it was only then that they came up with and offered the $1000 ****tle incentive if the contract went through. Our local thinks the number is insulting though, and they didn't want it in the form of a one time bonus either as far as I know.

It really is pathetic how desperate the company is though. They actually had all the supervisors read a letter during PCM urging people to vote yes for the contract. We've even had managers come out into the sort and individually talk to every single person in the building telling them to vote yes. I've only ever worked in the Louisville hub, but in all my years I have have NEVER seen them do the things that I've just described above with the other contracts. I think they're really sweating bullets and are scared as hell.

Last edited:

40andOut

I don't know how much you part timers make in the air hub. But if the posts here are true about spending 40 minutes a day on the shuttle, that adds up to serious $ over 5 years... if you can get UPS to compensate you for it. You guys would seem to be in a unique position of leverage, not unlike the pilots. I would think that UPS would be bending over backwards to keep you guys happy.
Examples:
40 min a day at $20 an hour = $17,333 over 5 years

40 min a day overtime (at $20 an hr base rate) = $25,999 over 5 years

Avoiding Liability forOff-the-Clock Work in the
Brave New World of the
Blackberry
Gregory friend. Jacob

the DOL’s recent pronouncements regarding off-the-clock work
in other venues suggest that the DOL will stake out a contrary position when it eventually weighs
in. With an increasing number of lawsuits concerning technology-related off-the-clock work being
filed, and with 250 additional wage and hour investigators now on patrol at the DOL,2
employers
should be taking a hard look at their remote email and remote access infrastructure and considering
devising new remote work policies or revising old ones to minimize the risk of off-the-clock work
by non-exempt employees....

THE RULES FOR DETERMINING COMPENSABLE WORK ...

The Court applied this broad definition in Anderson v. Mt. Clemons Pottery Co. to require that employees be compensated for the time they spent walking
to their work stations from time clocks at the factory entrance where they punched in.6

https://web.archive.org/web/20130919124044/http://www.winston.com/sitefiles/publications/erlj.pdf

Some questions come to mind:
Is it possible to get to your work station without riding the shuttle?
Has the company put forth a good faith effort to minimize the shuttle ride times?
By offering this "incentive" is the company admitting that you deserve some type of compensation for the excessive ride times?
By accepting the $1000, would you be giving up the right to file for past and future shuttle time compensation?
Should back pay be awarded for past years of riding the shuttle?

Last edited by a moderator: