DOT hours and second job

What'dyabringmetoday???

I am a part time Air Driver. My second job doesn't involve driving. Let's consider a scenario where I work 60 combined hours (both jobs), Monday through Friday. If on Saturday I work additional hours at my second job ( no driving), am I in violation? I am not putting anybody in danger, as I am not on the road any longer.... I would be sure to comply with 34 hour reset of course.
Don't worry about it- anything goes during peak. Lol

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
No you would not. As long as you are not driving a commercial motor vehicle, you can work as many hours as you want.

No. He should finish his job, unless he wants to start the next day at the normal time. If he works more than 14 hours, which he can as long as he is not driving, that will push his start time back the next day. He needs 10 hours off before starting the next day or he cannot drive.

Correct.

Correct. Of DOT driving hours left. If you have a job where you don't drive, you can work there as many hours as you like. But then you obviously need 10 hours off to be able to drive the next day.

Correct. If you drive. They could use him as a jumper if he did not have 10 hours off.

Sort of.

Shifters, since they do not drive on public roads, are not bound by DOT HOS rules. (If you are a shifter that does drive on public roads, ie, to access a parking lot separated from your hub or building, you are bound by DOT HOS.)

Shifters can work as many hours as they want and do not need 10 hours off before starting the next day.

Looks confusing, but I think you are saying that since his second job is non driving, he is not bound by HOS and the 11/14 do not come into play. But these hours worked at his second job do count toward his hours for his driving job. He has to include them both in his 14 hours and 60 hours.

DOT does have exemptions for package drivers. Short Haul exemption relating to log books and breaks after 8 hours of work.

It is really very simple.

You cannot drive more than 11 hours without taking 10 hours off. This does not affect package drivers because none, or only a handful, actually drive more than 11 hours. This is driving time behind the wheel only.

You cannot drive after being on duty for 14 hours without taking 10 hours off. This is on duty time, including all breaks and lunches. This also includes any other job you have away from your driving job. Those hours count toward your 14.

You cannot drive after working 60 hours within the last 7 days without taking 34 hours off. This time does not include breaks and lunches. (Some locations have switched to the 70 hour rule within the last 8 days.)

Look what it says...drive. If your past your 60, you can still work. You can preload, jump, etc. Just cannot drive. You then need your 34 hours off after that to drive again.

Same thing with your 14. You can work past 14, just cannot drive. You still need 10 hours off after that to still drive again.

1. All hours from all jobs count toward your DOT HOS regarding when you can drive. Except volunteer work.
2. You are responsible for keeping track of your own hours. If you violate, you will be fined.
3. The Company will also be fined if you violate, so they sometimes help keep you informed of your hours.
It's freaking amazing how hard this is to comprehend for some.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
It's freaking amazing how hard this is to comprehend for some.

I tried to put it as simple as I could. It's fairly simple. Do not try and read between the lines. Read it a as it is.

I also fail to see why some people still don't understand it.

If anyone doesn't understand any part, ask. I will explain it in simple terms using everyday life as an example if need be.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
@Mugarolla
You need to re-read your HOS compliance.
It matters for ALL hours worked, not just driving!

Don't know what you are referring to, but I'll put in simply.

You cannot drive after driving for 11 hours. This only includes time driving.
You cannot drive after being on duty for 14 hours. This includes all hours, not just driving hours.
You cannot drive after working 60 hours in a 7 day period. This includes all hours, not just driving hours.

What part don't you understand?

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I don't really understand this. Say I become driver and keep landscaping a bit on the side...if im driving a truck and trailer is that a violation?

It would depend on the weight of the vehicles. In most cases you would be fine driving at UPS and following it up with the landscaping business since the landscaping job more than likely is not using vehicles restricted by the DOT. BUT, those hours will all count towards your 60 weekly hours and you will need 10 hours off after the landscaping before you can legally drive for UPS.

If you were to have an accident and the other people sued your landscaping company I would think the fact you were driving after working another job could open you to some liability.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I don't really understand this. Say I become driver and keep landscaping a bit on the side...if im driving a truck and trailer is that a violation?

No. Your truck and trailer are not classified as a Commercial Motor Vehicle subject to DOT HOS. Only your hours worked count against the 14. Your driving hours don't count toward your 11 at UPS.

It would depend on the weight of the vehicles.

A Commercial Motor Vehicle is defined by the DOT as a vehicle used to transport people or property. His landscape truck and trailer is not transporting property. It is his property used for his business.

n most cases you would be fine driving at UPS and following it up with the landscaping business since the landscaping job more than likely is not using vehicles restricted by the DOT.

Correct

BUT, those hours will all count towards your 60 weekly hours and you will need 10 hours off after the landscaping before you can legally drive for UPS.

Correct. Assuming he landscapes after driving at UPS. But, if he landscapes before coming into UPS to drive, these hours will count toward his 14.

If you were to have an accident and the other people sued your landscaping company I would think the fact you were driving after working another job could open you to some liability.

Nope. He did not violate any laws. His liability is that he may have been the one at fault in the accident. Working another job should not come into play.

Umm no but if the investigators find against the driver , you can be sure the driver will never be transporting anyone again.

So it would keep more kids alive.
I would think the bus company that hired him would face some liability for allowing him to drive. Could also increase the penalties for both the driver and the company.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I would think the bus company that hired him would face some liability for allowing him to drive.

Not really. As long as he did not violate DOT HOS, it doesn't really matter how many jobs he had.

Not much difference if you work 12 hours at 1 job or 8 hours at 1 job and 4 hours at another, as long as you don't violate Hours of Service.

Could also increase the penalties for both the driver and the company.

If he violated HOS, possibly.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Not really. As long as he did not violate DOT HOS, it doesn't really matter how many jobs he had.

Not much difference if you work 12 hours at 1 job or 8 hours at 1 job and 4 hours at another, as long as you don't violate Hours of Service

This is what I was talking about with increased liability. If a person worked a full day driving in at UPS and follows it with a long night working g their own lawn care business. I would think if they fell asleep on the drive ho.e there could be some type of legal issue. Obviously, they could not legally report to UPS without having 10 hours off after they finished the lawn care so it would have to be a Friday night or a situation like that.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
If a person worked a full day driving in at UPS and follows it with a long night working g their own lawn care business. I would think if they fell asleep on the drive ho.e there could be some type of legal issue.

I see your point, but I don't think the law could "increase" your penalty beyond citing you for failing to control if you did not break the law in regards to working too many hours.

budlight

hey friend* face
Shifters can work as many hours as they want and do not need 10 hours off before starting the next day.

I don't know about that one.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!

I don't know about that one.

If they dont leave the yard they can work all day. Most of the shifter where I am are non-CDL which means they can't leave the yard anyway.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
If they dont leave the yard they can work all day. Most of the shifter where I am are non-CDL which means they can't leave the yard anyway.

Where I am, a CDL is required to be a shifter. But you are correct. If they never leave the yard, they have no hours restrictions.