DOT hours and second job

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Unless he got into an accident that involved the killing or injuring of kids or a celebrity.

That Tennessee bus driver who was involved in an accident resulting in kids on his bus being killed was discovered by investigators to have a second job at Amazon. That job's hours are being investigated to see if they interfered with his compliance with dot rules.
I'm glad someone brought this up. Many people don't tell UPS about their second job and hours paid. You are playing with fire if you don't .

Something happens like an accident and the attorneys will be crawling all over you. If you violated DOT hours and someone is injured or killed , you are DONE.

and will probably go to prison.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I'm glad someone brought this up. Many people don't tell UPS about their second job and hours paid. You are playing with fire if you don't .

You don't have to tell UPS. You just have to keep track of your own hours and not violate HOS.

UPS may not like it, and things may have to change if you run out of hours due to your other job.

You are right but I think it is wrong.

Safety first? Not if they need you to shift.

Safety first?

What is unsafe about a shifter, never leaving the yard, working a ton of hours. It is up to him to clock out and go home if he ends up getting too tired to function.

He may lose a little concentration as he gets tired, but this is far different than a driver on the road losing concentration doing 65 mph.

Last edited:

Gear

Parts on Order
I would be willing to bet the majority of truck drivers violate HOS on a regular basis. Im talking about the average truck driver making $60,000-$70,000 a year with overtime, loads or mileage (however they get paid. ) The guy getting paid by the load wants a certain amount of loads for the day. He doesnt care about the hours.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I would be willing to bet the majority of truck drivers violate HOS on a regular basis. Im talking about the average truck driver making $60,000-$70,000 a year with overtime, loads or mileage (however they get paid. ) The guy getting paid by the load wants a certain amount of loads for the day. He doesnt care about the hours.

Why do you think all these truck drivers were pissed when the FMCSA mandated electronic logs?

I am not saying they all cheated, but it is now harder to cheat with electronic logs.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
You still need your 10 hours off. And you still can't work over 14 hours.

Incorrect.

As long as you don't leave the yard, don't drive on public roads, you are not subject to DOT HOS rules.

You do not need a CDL to be a shifter. It is only required here as part of the job in case they need to send you on road somewhere.

Gear

Parts on Order
Why do you think all these truck drivers were :censored2: when the FMCSA mandated electronic logs?

I am not saying they all cheated, but it is now harder to cheat with electronic logs.

Guys running triaxles every day or the tractor trailer driver running from transfer station to the land fill are still cheating. I dont blame them, I would do the same thing.

budlight

hey friend* face
Incorrect.

As long as you don't leave the yard, don't drive on public roads, you are not subject to DOT HOS rules.

You do not need a CDL to be a shifter. It is only required here as part of the job in case they need to send you on road somewhere.

Say I shift for 10 hours. I can't go on a 2 hour run from home base, drop my trailers, hook up and drive 2 hours home. Why? Because I would be over 14 hours. And I would still need 10 hours off before being able to report back to work.

I asked my dispatch this exact scenario the other day. I said, Say for instance I worked 16 hours in the yard, would I still need 10 hours off before coming back to work? Dispatch said, well, you can't work 16 hours, but yes, you'd still need your 10 off.

Does your ivis not tell you how many hours of on duty time and hours of drive time you have available? Shift for 10 hours, get told we need you to go to such and such location, go off other work, log into tractor, it says you have 4 hours OD and 4 hours DT remaining. Can you ignore that and drive for 6 hours with your total on duty time at 17.5? And then show up the next day at your regular start time? No. You can't.

Even if you strictly shifted, not leaving the yard, you can't go over 14 and not get your required 10 off. Shifters where I am have CDLs.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Say I shift for 10 hours. I can't go on a 2 hour run from home base, drop my trailers, hook up and drive 2 hours home. Why? Because I would be over 14 hours. And I would still need 10 hours off before being able to report back to work.

I asked my dispatch this exact scenario the other day. I said, Say for instance I worked 16 hours in the yard, would I still need 10 hours off before coming back to work? Dispatch said, well, you can't work 16 hours, but yes, you'd still need your 10 off.

Does your ivis not tell you how many hours of on duty time and hours of drive time you have available? Shift for 10 hours, get told we need you to go to such and such location, go off other work, log into tractor, it says you have 4 hours OD and 4 hours DT remaining. Can you ignore that and drive for 6 hours with your total on duty time at 17.5? And then show up the next day at your regular start time? No. You can't.

Even if you strictly shifted, not leaving the yard, you can't go over 14 and not get your required 10 off. Shifters where I am have CDLs.

In your scenario, you are subject to DOT HOS. You left the yard. You cannot work over 14 hours and need 10 hours off.

We are talking about a different scenario here. Whether you have a CDL or not, not required by the DOT to shift in the yard, you are not subject to DOT HOS rules if you do not drive on public roads.

You can work over 14 hours, you can work over 60 and you do not need 10 hours off.

I don't care what your dispatcher tells you. Now granted, you cannot go on road, but hubs have tons of shifters that never go on road.

Look at the DOT HOS regulations

You cannot DRIVE after being on duty for 14 hours.
You cannot DRIVE without taking 10 hours off.

In the eyes of the DOT, you are only DRIVING if you are on public roads. You are not subject to DOT HOS if you never leave the yard, CDL or no CDL.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Those forced to work Christmas Eve should get a quick- part time job, so you can't work that Saturday!

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!

You're saying you can't do it because you need 10 hours off to get to work at your regular start time. Many drivers don't have a regular start time every day which is why we tell dispatch what time we are available for the next day. That way they don't call and wake us up for runs we can't do anyways.

If you're on shiftcom it automatically puts you on other work and there is no HOS countdown on that screen. I believe shifters in Yardbirds don't log into ivis anyway, they change it over on the main screen and it reboots. I know other drivers do it that way in tractors as well because your idle time won't show up.

And why would you think you could work more than 14? The DOT rules are very straightforward...if you want to work more than 14 you have to finish up doing something that doesn't make you drive outside the fence.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
If you're on shiftcom it automatically puts you on other work and there is no HOS countdown on that screen.

While on TA, or if you never hit leave, there is no countdown on the screen either. The only time the countdown shows is you are driving on road.