DOT Hours of service change.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
It's almost like safety wasn't a factor in making these changes.
Yeah no kidding. But why not then just make it 18 hours? 20? Maybe the DOT rule should say you can’t work any more than 24 hours in a row unless the company provides your amphetamines.

brett636

The HOS rules have changed, but it appears UPS is sticking with the old rules for now. They typically follow stricter rules than those put out by the DOT to reduce the risk of violations. Maybe they will change by this peak, but I haven’t heard anything official.

AKCoverMan

Yes all drivers. 11 hours of drive time up to 13 under adverse conditions.
Yes but it’s driving time, and in package we spend half our time selecting packages, delivering, and picking up. It would take a very very rural route with very low stop density and lots of miles to get tomeight hours of behind-the-wheel drive time in a day.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Yes but it’s driving time, and in package we spend half our time selecting packages, delivering, and picking up. It would take a very very rural route with very low stop density and lots of miles to get tomeight hours of behind-the-wheel drive time in a day.
I've heard of a route that does 12-15 stops a day and it's over 12 hours every day. I can't imagine it's less than 11 hours of drive time.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I've heard of a route that does 12-15 stops a day and it's over 12 hours every day. I can't imagine it's less than 11 hours of drive time.
It doesn't matter because package drivers don't keep a log book. The only thing that counts in package is on duty time.

What'dyabringmetoday???

It doesn't matter because package drivers don't keep a log book. The only thing that counts in package is on duty time.
Which is exactly why the hours of service rules should not be the same as a tractor-trailer driver. And if you dig in to the rules, you might find that they actually are not the same.

AKCoverMan

It is. You can actually get driving time out of telematics. Subtract out lunches, breaks, am time, pm time, all time spent at stops. If your really behind the wheel over 11 hours you are in violation. But I bet not.

quad decade guy

The company could make sure drivers are not overwhelmed. You throw more stops in than a driver can do in one day and service will suffer.
Point is-his hateful punitive attitude.....towards the customer. I'm no homer but believe it or not...customers remember. We need all we can get.

Seymour Packages

Point is-his hateful punitive attitude.....towards the customer. I'm no homer but believe it or not...customers remember. We need all we can get.
It's not punitive at all. It's reality. My customers on my route love me. I rarely if ever miss a package and I don't have service failures if I can help it. However when the company piles on more work than physically possible, blowing out a 1000 just because they can, SERVICE WILL SUFFER. Period. There WILL be late air, missed pieces, etc. These are the facts of life. Especially on rural/split routes where a missed pkg found later in the day can be up to 20 minutes or more away. I remember when there was at least a semblance of caring about the customer at UPS. Those days are long gone. So please, get off your high horse and realize that the suits that sit behind computers and load us up like rented mules run off many more customers than a driver ever could.