DOT physical

Babagounj

Strength through joy
So when you go for the DOT physical and your BP is over 140/90, what do they do? Just give you a 6 month card? I have white coat syndrome. After watching my father pass slowly in a hospital over months I have a hard time going to see a doctor for some reason. My BP will be elevated even though I don’t have hypertension. Luckily my doctor is understanding and gives me time to calm down and try more than one test on my blood pressure.
My numbers were higher than that.
The doctor took the first reading as I was sitting in the exam room,
then made me go sit in the waiting room for 15 minutes and I was still too high,
then go lay down on the floor of the waiting room for another 30 minutes, still too high.
Imagine how the other patients felt seeing a UPS Driver in uniform laying on the waiting room floor.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I had hypertension and needed a DOT physical every 6 months.
In 2010, the doctors made me do several attempts at lower my BP during one visit.
They were all unsuccessful and the doctor informed me that I was not going to be able to drive commercially again.
I tried to remain calm and look sad when told.
It was the best day of my life.
Now my manager couldn't keep putting on the road away from my inside/inside ( higher paying ) job.
@Turdferguson is this you? Lol.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
So when you go for the DOT physical and your BP is over 140/90, what do they do? Just give you a 6 month card? I have white coat syndrome. After watching my father pass slowly in a hospital over months I have a hard time going to see a doctor for some reason. My BP will be elevated even though I don’t have hypertension. Luckily my doctor is understanding and gives me time to calm down and try more than one test on my blood pressure.

I have a buddy that drives truck for a different company. He’s got hypertension but he cheats by kicking back a couple beers before his physical then has his wife drive him to the appointment. I tell him he’s nuts but he insists it works every time lol! I think he goes to some sketchy cash only clinic to get it done tho..
talladega-nights.gif

542thruNthru

then made me go sit in the waiting room for 15 minutes and I was still too high,
then go lay down on the floor of the waiting room for another 30 minutes, still too high.
Imagine how the other patients felt seeing a UPS Driver in uniform laying on the waiting room floor.
So they didn't just make you get on blood pressure medication?

Johney

I hope you went to a Dr. to get it under control. I too have had high BP for at least 20 years and getting my DOT every year is always a pain.

quad decade guy

I hope you went to a Dr. to get it under control. I too have had high BP for at least 20 years and getting my DOT every year is always a pain.
Why?

They should be able to get it under control...there are exceptions of course.

But you may not like the side effects....and the drugs could be disqualifying....

Trucker Clock

So when you go for the DOT physical and your BP is over 140/90, what do they do? Just give you a 6 month card?

That depends.

If it’s 140-159/90-99, you’ll pass but only get a 1 year card.

If it’s 160-179/100-109, you’ll get a 3 month card and need to reduce it below 140/90 otherwise you are disqualified.

If your >180/110, you’re disqualified until you can reduce it.

quad decade guy

That depends.

If it’s 160-179/100-109, you’ll get a 3 month card and need to reduce it below 140/90 otherwise you are disqualified.

Why in the world would anyone want to walk around borderline stroke?

Bizarre.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
One thing I have noticed since drugs have lowered my BP, is that I now can feel the cold.
Many a winter while driving, I kept my PC doors open except when rain or snow would collect on the insides of the windshield.
I had a winter coat with me but barely used it.
And many a cold day, I just didn't turn the cab heater on.
No sup every did a second ride along with me.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
One thing I have noticed since drugs have lowered my BP, is that I now can feel the cold.
Many a winter while driving, I kept my PC doors open except when rain or snow would collect on the insides of the windshield.
I had a winter coat with me but barely used it.
And many a cold day, I just didn't turn the cab heater on.
No sup every did a second ride along with me.
Inhaling diesel fumes have side affects

Whither

Scofflaw

I have a buddy that drives truck for a different company. He’s got hypertension but he cheats by kicking back a couple beers before his physical then has his wife drive him to the appointment. I tell him he’s nuts but he insists it works every time lol! I think he goes to some sketchy cash only clinic to get it done tho..
I also get a little ansy before the physical. When my livelihood's not on the line I consistently test around 120/80 or lower. In fact, at my first physical before qualifying I was so hyped up I tested twice around 155/90 lol. The doc let me off the hook and even said he gets white coat syndrome. He added that my urine sample didn't show any telltale signs of high blood pressure and edited my reading to allow me to get a 2 year card. Whew haha.

A friend who's a commercial pilot (and who has to get a physical every 6 months, I think) has the same problem. He told me to run some windsprints just before I went in. It worked fine at my last renewal. Still a little high, like 131/83, but good enough for 2 years.

Johney

That depends.

Not sure where you get that info from. If you have high BP and take medication you can only get a one year card and your BP needs to be 139/89 max. Even if you don't take meds or have high BP it still has to be 139/89 to get a new card for the two years. At least here.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
We had a driver taken off the road for HP. He was out for a few weeks until he got under control. Medication was needed.