dow 24000

refineryworker05

The economy is so bad that I work in a petroleum refinery and demand for gasoline, Diesel fuel have decreased significantly, and the demand for Jet fuel has absolutely cratered.

trump has truly been a disaster for the economy, the only thing keeping us afloat economically was the CARES act, that sent out checks, gave increased unemployment benefits to individuals. It provided money directly to businesses to retain workers and keep those businesses going, and it sent money to states and cities, without those huge benefits this economy would be even worse the economic pain would be gigantic, and trump's approval will crater into the low to 30's. Yet republicans and trump don't seem to understand this and instead of extending the Cares Act which is the ONLY thing keeping them afloat politically, they are thinking of letting those benefits expire, which sadly will cause tremendous economic pain. Not only that the pandemic is spreading in many states at record levels, with no plan forward to deal with from the trump administration. trump has truly been a disaster as president.

refineryworker05

In terms of stock market performance of the trump administration, at the start of his term there was good growth reminiscent of the start of the Obama administration and then in January 2018 to Sept/Oct 2019 the Stock market was relatively flat. It started increasing a again for 4 months until Feb 2020 and then it cratered and once again we are back at to where it was approximately in Jan 2018.

Under Biden the stock market would do well. I have no idea why republicans lie to themselves that the stock market prefers republican presidents or that the economy does better under republican presidents, its just not reality.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Jim Kramer was melting down yesterday about the market's rise lol. Poor guy probably bet against the market and is losing money.
I think these writers make all this up. Before it was computerized automatic trading via fancy mathematical formulations swaying the market. Now it's living room Larry with his cell phone?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I think these writers make all this up. Before it was computerized automatic trading via fancy mathematical formulations swaying the market. Now it's living room Larry with his cell phone?
One day it's all because of computers, then it's index fund overload, then it's day traders on an app, the fed, stock buybacks..... Blah blah blah.

They just make it up as they go.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
You should make your moves based on your financial/retirement timeline using historical average returns, not what you think the market is going to do next week. If you're 5+years from retirement you really shouldn't do anything. If you're getting close then you should already have diversified into some lower-risk holdings, and if you haven't then now would be an excellent time to do so.