dow 24000

If all you ever do is take long positions and try to time the market as when to buy more, your only investing in 1/3 of the market. The Dow is where it is because of tax cuts, stimulus and the promise of more stimulus. The government has pumped 9ish trillion dollars into the market (economy) over the last 3 years. Debt has gone from 80% of GDP to 130% over the same time. The Fed has been rendered useless and the dollar has been hollowed out. If this administration continues to spend, spend and spend the market will do fine (5%-10%) swings. If this administration decides to be fiscally more responsible than the last, of course, higher taxes and lower profits will result. You can only put everything on a credit card for so long before you have to pay the bill. People like to say we had the greatest economy before the virus, but look at how we got here, We had sub 3% growth to GDP while added trillions to our debt. smh
Trump has made Obama look like e genius.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
all we takeis long positions. going on 30 years.

if i tried to time the market over that time our portfolio would probably only be worth half of what it is now. I tried to talk a co worker to stay in the market around 2007-8 when the housing bubble burst. he took everything out of the stock market right before the crash and put it into cash.

however he stayed on the sidelines as the market slowly came back. he missed out horribly on the rebound.

we are in our 60's and wonder about our strong stock positions. Buffett says to stay 90% in the s and p even for retirees. that is good enough for me. our house is paid off, we have no debt , we have cash , and our health is fair to good.

even if the market crashed and stayed that way for 10 years we would still be okay. that's the way I look at it . our stocks have gone up about 70% or more in last 3 years so glad we stayed in.

Up In Smoke

all we takeis long positions. going on 30 years.

if i tried to time the market over that time our portfolio would probably only be worth half of what it is now. I tried to talk a co worker to stay in the market around 2007-8 when the housing bubble burst. he took everything out of the stock market right before the crash and put it into cash.

however he stayed on the sidelines as the market slowly came back. he missed out horribly on the rebound.

we are in our 60's and wonder about our strong stock positions. Buffett says to stay 90% in the s and p even for retirees. that is good enough for me. our house is paid off, we have no debt , we have cash , and our health is fair to good.

even if the market crashed and stayed that way for 10 years we would still be okay. that's the way I look at it . our stocks have gone up about 70% or more in last 3 years so glad we stayed in.
I get it, I'm in my early 50s and have always managed a portion of my portfolio. Ten years ago, trading was expensive and cumbersome, but today with ETFs and stop limits it's easier than ever. My investment group and I teach a class once a quarter at the local senior center for retired investors. Vanguard is a great low cost tool for the buy and hold investor, but why give anyone even .2% of your money when you can buy the same product for free?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Trump still thinks the stock market is the economy.
We had libs in this forum thanking Sleepy Joe Biden when the stock market was up. Suddenly they disappeared when Biden’s actions started to take full effect.

bbsam

Staff member
We had libs in this forum thanking Sleepy Joe Biden when the stock market was up. Suddenly they disappeared when Biden’s actions started to take full effect.
You don’t really believe presidents or their policies affect the market. Pandemics, supply chain issues and terrible 40 year fiscal policy do though.

But you already knew that.

Box Ox

You don’t really believe presidents or their policies affect the market.

Were you not speaking to your own belief in that here?

President Trump | Current Events

18378305-A63B-49FC-B009-08E9AD8FA283.jpeg

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Do you disagree with the short term or long term validity of both my posts?

I mean, Trump cozying up to Saudis definitely had a short term effect. How’s that look now?
Actually it was a little bit of both, we were killing them by producing and sending our oil out, opec was hurting