Driver Asked To Postpone Funeral

A

anonymous6

"Need you to postpone the funeral, we are short on drivers"... Nope, not even for the biggest POS employee who abuses FMLA, steals time through extended bathroom breaks and pushing break periods and padding miles. The question would never, ever pass my lips or those of any management I know of. Not buying it for a second.

it's true/ i was thinking of posting the supes phone number but i would probably be fired.

also note : that your assumed quote was not actual quote. i heard what happened second hand from a driver and then I confirmed it by asking another supervisor about it. he acted embarassed and nodded his head yes and said it was true.

i have no reason to lie about a good friends' father in law passing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
While it may sound false, I work here on the front lines and this wouldn't surprise me. Higher ups don't see a lot of stuff happens in the trenches, and that my friends is the disconnection that's currently plaguing this company. Denial isn't a river in Egypt, it flows through operations upriver.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
We had a running joke back in the day:

"Hello Mr. Center Manager. A crazed killer just took out my entire family!"
"Gee. Mr. Package Car Driver, I'm very sorry.........So can you come in this afternoon and do some pickups?"

sporh

My uncle died in December a few years ago. i was asked to be a pallbearer so i kinda had to be there. He lived 2 states away. I walked into my center manager's office and explained to him the situation and he let me take the appropriate time off. No hassle whatsoever...

A

anonymous6

My uncle died in December a few years ago. i was asked to be a pallbearer so i kinda had to be there. He lived 2 states away. I walked into my center manager's office and explained to him the situation and he let me take the appropriate time off. No hassle whatsoever...

ya, they were not short drivers that day.

govols019

You smell that?
We had a driver that was asked to officiate a funeral for a friend and was told he couldn't have the day off and we had drivers on lay-off. The wording the center manager used was something along the lines of that the funeral had nothing to do with UPS so, tough.

That center manager was, without a doubt, the sorriest excuse for a human being it has ever been my misfortune to meet.

Our current center manager, when my grandfather passed away, came to the funeral. That was unexpected and meant quite a bit to me.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Unless he was a friend to the family, your center manager should not have gone to the funeral. A card and/or flower arrangment would have been more appropiate.

[
Unless he was a friend to the family, your center manager should not have gone to the funeral. A card and/or flower arrangment would have been more appropiate.

We have had mgmt attend the funeral of an immediate family member of drivers. I've never heard any talk of feelings of favoritism. Only the standard "I would" or "I would not" want someone from UPS there.

over9five

Staff member
My center manager came to my fathers wake, and I appreciated it. I felt is was the right thing to do.

Not saying he should go to every wake, I'm sure he knows who would and would not appreciate it.

You send a card or flowers to people whos wake you don't want to go to.
You show up, that means something.

rod

Retired 22 years
My center manager at the time came to my Mothers funeral and UPS sent a nice arrangement of flowers. I remenber at the time thinking "Damn -they do have a human side after all". When my Dad passed away they also sent flowers. When it comes to funerals and UPS I will be the first to admit they went out of their way to work with me to give me all the time off I needed.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Actually, he is correct.

However well-intentioned, a management person attending the funeral of an employees family member could lead to charges of favoritism and preferential treatment.
I know most of the time I do not add much substance here, but I must disagree with you. You can talk about favoritism all that you would like, but my OPINION is that there is no issue with a management person attending the funeral of an employee's family member. It is too bad that we could not have better relations between non-hourlies and us. Perhaps things would be better all around. If the employee was happy that management showed up, nobody here, including me, really has much more to say about it.

I can't imagine someone dumb enough to not tell the offending party to kick rocks. If I have a funeral to attend, I don't care WHAT time of year it is. I'm goin'

What If they threaten and say "Job Abandonment"? I've seen stuff similar like this happen man.