driver training/ safety

• Thread starter fire department
  • Start date
F

fire department

Hello, first time user of this forum. I am a firefighter/paramedic with the Chicago Fire Department currently working in the training division. We are trying to compare and update our driver training programs. Comparing ideas from all different sources. We are comparing to other fire agencies but the question keeps arising "what are the standards in private industry?" Have done some fact checking and I am trying to get my hands on a copy of the UPS driver training manual. Some of the vehicles that we train on consist of large box style ambulances to truck companies and engine companies. Thank you for your time.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Hi fire department,
As a driver, I don't recall ever seeing an actual manual like you are looking for, I was trained directly by a supervisor. I'm sure that some kind of manual exist, maybe you should contact UPS at the corporate level. I'm thinking that either the Safety or Automotive Depts. could help you. Maybe someone reading this Discussion Board can be of more help and point you to the right source.

SmithBarney

The 5 Seeing habits, are part of a larger learning program, I can't remember the name, but someone here will remember it...

upsdude

Hello, first time user of this forum. I am a firefighter/paramedic with the Chicago Fire Department currently working in the training division. We are trying to compare and update our driver training programs. Comparing ideas from all different sources. We are comparing to other fire agencies but the question keeps arising "what are the standards in private industry?" Have done some fact checking and I am trying to get my hands on a copy of the UPS driver training manual. Some of the vehicles that we train on consist of large box style ambulances to truck companies and engine companies. Thank you for your time.

Try this.................

Smith System - The Global

Sammie

Hello Chicago.
Here are the famous 5 Seeing Habits.
1.Aim High In Steering:
Look as far down the road as possible to uncover important traffic information to make appropriate decisions.

2.Get The Big Picture: Maintain the proper following distance so you can comfortably determine the true hazards around your vehicle. Don't tailgate others.

3.Keep Your Eyes Moving: Scan - don't stare. Constantly shift you eyes while driving. Active eyes keep up with changing traffic conditions.

4.Leave Yourself An Out: Be prepared. Surround your vehicle with space in front and at least on one side to escape conflict.

5.Make Sure They See You: Communicate in traffic with your horn, lights and signals to establish eye contact with motorists and pedestrians. Be reasonably sure of people's intentions.

More UPS Safety can be found at:
UPS Community: Safety: Safe Driving Tips

Good luck!