Drivers Going Home On Mondays Not Forcing The Guarantee "On Topic"

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
Training is one person working and one observing. If they are both are working at the same time then file. The only time a supervisor is allowed to work is when the union employee in training is getting paid to observe.
tenor.gif

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Just think of the million the pensions get when employees work here under 5 years and will never collect on those monies but the fund gets to keep it in there to grow
This is the EXACT reason the union pushed so hard for this contract.They knew good and damned well they couldn't go in asking for more contributions to Central States .For the Company and Union this is the best contract ever

km3

Training is one person working and one observing. If they are both are working at the same time then file. The only time a supervisor is allowed to work is when the union employee in training is getting paid to observe.

My stewards, more than one, have told me that many grievances have been filed and lost on the situation I described.

One working, one observing...I said the same thing. One steward even said, "I agree with you, but I've lost that one too many times."

Honestly, I'm one more stupid loophole away from calling my BA and asking for a comprehensive breakdown of all of the rules and exceptions for filing on sups working. It's like anything goes these days.

I guess it's possible that the stewards are lying (a very troubling turn of events if true), but they are adamant that the new hire can be 100ft away...just as long as they're "in the same area."

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I thought ups didn’t funded it until you hit 5 yrs?

No, you don't get vested until you've been working 5 years. The contributions UPS pays in for you for the first five years do factor in to your future pension payments, assuming you vested. With the massive turnover it's incomprehensible that the pension funds aren't suffocating in an avalanche of the free money they will never have to pay to the people who earned it.

Overpaid Union Thug

When I told my BA that the new language "as long as work is available" is a terrible idea and would end up screwing some drivers on Mondays he told me that UPS and the union were banking on the RLOs on Mondays. Said "Most centers always have drivers go home on Mondays anyway."

LagunaBrown

My stewards, more than one, have told me that many grievances have been filed and lost on the situation I described.

One working, one observing...I said the same thing. One steward even said, "I agree with you, but I've lost that one too many times."

Honestly, I'm one more stupid loophole away from calling my BA and asking for a comprehensive breakdown of all of the rules and exceptions for filing on sups working. It's like anything goes these days.

I guess it's possible that the stewards are lying (a very troubling turn of events if true), but they are adamant that the new hire can be 100ft away...just as long as they're "in the same area."
You need to learn how to call them out without being rude. Just ask them to show you a panel decision backing their claim. You can also just file on it and see what they do with your grievance. If it’s not paid there is a problem that needs to be addressed. Follow the chain till you find the broken link and mend it.

Last edited:

Heavy Package

How many locals have Drivers heading home on Mondays, some locals refer to this as RLO(requested lay off), not enforcing guarantees that are in their supplements?

I have know this anti-union, selfish, practice has been going on for a long time but I heard it has gotten worse during the Saturday ground era.

Integrity-You are correct in some hubs. My hub there are many drivers on the inside and many on layoff days due to drivers in training and Saturday ground. Some don't want to work, some don't want to drive, some are just pussilanimous and won't say anything.

When you go in with your steward to say you want 8 they make the day miserable for you. Send you to another center waaaaay out in the blind, clean toilets / trailers / package cars inside and out, send you way out in the country or in the hood (depends on what they think you will hate the most) etc. etc.

The favor of the week is that everything will be back to normal with all regulars working starting Nov. 1st. That is what they are telling all of the new drivers who are back in the hub or low seniority layoff drivers.

lolbr

https://teamster.org/about/frequently-asked-questions-faq#faq07
Stewards role is to assist in grievance procedures, not make the decision on them. It doesn't matter if they are telling the truth or not about losing previous grievances.