Drivers, know your worth

Memester

The average top rate in 2018 was 37.06

Put that into a cpi calculator for august 2018 and it spits out that the value of that same 37.06 is equivalent in 2023 to 44.84

Assume a 3% average annual inflation rate over the life of the next contract and that equals ~52

I’ve heard it said that such a proposal for drivers is a pipe dream… but is not taking a pay cut for a company with record profits a pipe dream?

Know your worth and vote accordingly

The Brown Shadow

TLDR You don’t deserve to avoid our bad govt leaders decisions by demanding higher pay. We got it better than all other shipping employees. Let’s keep those good things for future employees too.

Longer version:
Everybody has less disposable funds because of the current inflation. I am not special and “deserve” to avoid that by demanding a wage increase. We all could avoid that by demanding our govt to have accountability in finances. But nobody cares about that I guess.

As a feeder driver I have better wages, time off, and medical benefits than any other driver out there. I want to keep those for me and all future UPSers.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
TLDR You don’t deserve to avoid our bad govt leaders decisions by demanding higher pay. We got it better than all other shipping employees. Let’s keep those good things for future employees too.

Longer version:
Everybody has less disposable funds because of the current inflation. I am not special and “deserve” to avoid that by demanding a wage increase. We all could avoid that by demanding our govt to have accountability in finances. But nobody cares about that I guess.

As a feeder driver I have better wages, time off, and medical benefits than any other driver out there. I want to keep those for me and all future UPSers.
Did the company increase their rates over this last contract?

Clearly they feel they should be able to pass inflation costs onto the consumer.

HarryWarden

Did the company increase their rates over this last contract?

Clearly they feel they should be able to pass inflation costs onto the consumer.
yup, and they also received record profits. So I guess in this guys mind workers don’t deserve more when times are tough or when times are good. Just be happy with what you get and don’t ask for more, ignoring the fact the reason we have what we have is by asking for more

I have NOT been lurking

Degenerate Member
yup, and they also received record profits. So I guess in this guys mind workers don’t deserve more when times are tough or when times are good. Just be happy with what you get and don’t ask for more, ignoring the fact the reason we have what we have is by asking for more
He's the top seniority guy that won't retire OR make it better for newer guys

Memester

Longer version:

Who buys the politicians? Who receives newly printed money before prices rise?

Large banks and investment institutions such as black rock and vanguard

And they own large shares of many large corporations such as ups.

Why should i expect anything less than break even when the institutions that own politicians and rig the economy are breaking profit records?

Nah

The Brown Shadow

Who buys the politicians? Who receives newly printed money before prices rise?

Large banks and investment institutions such as black rock and vanguard

And they own large shares of many large corporations such as ups.

Why should i expect anything less than break even when the institutions that own politicians and rig the economy are breaking profit records?

Nah
We can look across the landscape and see that UPS employees have best in class compensation. That is thanks to the Teamsters for sure. But there are way too many people saying “look record profits, gimme gimme gimme.” Those record profits were mostly due to Covid and the shift to e-commerce in 2020. There is a history of shipping companies going belly up. After this strike probably many employees will be on lay off for the next couple of years.

Last edited:

Memester

We can look across the landscape and see that UPS employees have best in class compensation. That is thanks to the Teamsters for sure. But there is way too many people saying “look record profits, gimme gimme gimme.” Those record profits were mostly due to Covid and the shift to e-commerce in 2020. There is a history of shipping companies going belly up. After this strike probably many employees will be on lay off for the next couple of years.
good. We can make sure out best in class compensation package keeps with inflation. We shouldn’t accept a pay cut.