Drivers, know your worth

HarryWarden

I can agree that we can’t have it all. At least right away. At this point I would be okay with a little bit less of a raise than we are expecting but take care of the PTers (starting wage and catch up raises). Plus all the other things we already have agreements on.

That would get us 80% of the way to where we need to be, and we can push the rest of the way in the next contract. I’m more focused on things that have long term benefits, that will stay in the contract long term. IE: air conditioning and heat issues, ice and water, excessive overtime protections.

I feel like wages are fleeting and if you waste so much bargaining leverage on starting pay, you have to do it all over again next contract because of inflation.

I prefer to get everything we want without a strike. But we shall see what happens this week.
You mention “getting the rest in the next contract”, but one thing I’ve been thinking is it’s been such a spectacle this contract with the looming strike’s media coverage and social media presence, I don’t think it will work as well next time.

Now is the time to get the most we can. We just came off the pandemic, ups has record profits, we’re playing catch up with raises, if we try playing this hard again next time, we might lose some public support and it might end up like the boy who cried wolf, if that makes sense

Cowboy Mac

You mention “getting the rest in the next contract”, but one thing I’ve been thinking is it’s been such a spectacle this contract with the looming strike’s media coverage and social media presence, I don’t think it will work as well next time.

Now is the time to get the most we can. We just came off the pandemic, ups has record profits, we’re playing catch up with raises, if we try playing this hard again next time, we might lose some public support and it might end up like the boy who cried wolf, if that makes sense
I see what you’re saying but 5 years is a long time. I remember customers treating well during the 2018 contract campaign also, just like today.

RangerMan06

If UPS is still making billions every quarter we'll be getting raises the next contract as well.
AI will be the big fight next contract. I really expect AI to take over most dispatch and corporate positions in the next 5 years. Probably another 20 before RPCDs are able to be replaced.

Undertow

FedX Has too many problems to count. They can take all the business they want on paper but they can hardly service their accounts now.
They are really in danger of having the wheels come off in my neighborhood for sure. Leaving stuff at dock bays long after places are closed, dropping stuff off at fire exits in the back rather than attempting to make any kind of contact with someone at the front desk or at the door clearly marked Shipping And Receiving.

Had one customer, a clothing store, find a box full of suits worth thousands of dollars left out in back during a snowstorm that the plow driver ran over. Man that store manager was just lit. Three days later the same thing happens again even after the store raised hell.

The Brown Shadow

Just following up. Looks like we will get that raise the OP wanted and decent raises for the rest of the contract.

I am glad I was wrong that we were going to strike.

Hey, OBrien and team did it.

Memester

Just following up. Looks like we will get that raise the OP wanted and decent raises for the rest of the contract.

I am glad I was wrong that we were going to strike.

Hey, OBrien and team did it.
We will not get the raises.

Ft drivers are taking a 1% Real wage cut on 8/1, and a 6% forecasted real wage cut over the life of the contract (assuming 3% annual inflation)

I plan to vote no unless the cola is very generous