Drivers who qualified under new contract ??

Tough Guy

If part-timers cared enough to get together and vote, they would direct the contracts.

That's true enough, I can't argue with that. My guess would be, that most of the part timers are people who are content to remain part time for their careers.

And the part timers who are aiming to drive are part of the ones who vote.

Tough Guy

Really!??!!? When i started driving 20 years ago, I made top rate in 2 years and it was $19.76/hour. And you're bummed about only making a dollar less per hour?!?!? In 4 years you'll be making over $90k. You'll survive.

When i first saw that progression went from 2 years to 3 years, then to 3.5, then to 4 years, I was a little bummed for the newer drivers. In the ned I thought it was pretty realistic. Why should you make $90k in 2 years when we were making half of that at TR 20 years ago? I made $41k+OT at TR. Was pretty happy to make that without college degree. And to make $90k now without a college degree, I'm pretty damn satisfied. I have friends with Master's Degrees who make half of that. $40k is still a good amount of money especially when you know that you'll be making more than double that in 4 years.

That's an understandable point as well, but new drivers shouldn't have to wait 4 years to get too pay, when most of them already had to wait at least 5 years just for a CHANCE to drive. I could maybe understand a longer progression being agreed on for outside hires. But for those of us that waited a long time as pters, it's a slap in the face to have added an additional progression year.

jbg77

Really!??!!? When i started driving 20 years ago, I made top rate in 2 years and it was $19.76/hour. And you're bummed about only making a dollar less per hour?!?!? In 4 years you'll be making over $90k. You'll survive.

When i first saw that progression went from 2 years to 3 years, then to 3.5, then to 4 years, I was a little bummed for the newer drivers. In the ned I thought it was pretty realistic. Why should you make $90k in 2 years when we were making half of that at TR 20 years ago? I made $41k+OT at TR. Was pretty happy to make that without college degree. And to make $90k now without a college degree, I'm pretty damn satisfied. I have friends with Master's Degrees who make half of that. $40k is still a good amount of money especially when you know that you'll be making more than double that in 4 years.

Although I agree that it is worth the wait, it is slightly unfair to compare a salary 20 years ago to a salary today. Gas was .89 a gallon then, there were .25 pay phones, and a taco at taco bell was .59.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Although I agree that it is worth the wait, it is slightly unfair to compare a salary 20 years ago to a salary today. Gas was .89 a gallon then, there were .25 pay phones, and a taco at taco bell was .59.
Both my parents salaries doubled or more over the course of their careers.

Because an old timer feels like he makes a lot of money I shouldn't be entitled to the same raises?