Drop Out of Your 401k

vantexan

Agreed. Even at UPS I have found fulltime employees complaining about the pay. Some people just cannot be pleased.
You can look up all my posts on the subject. I've gotten into strong arguments with MrFedEx on the subject. I've never believed FedEx could pay UPS pay and benefits. My concern is they keep taking away from what we already had, which was considerably less than UPS. I'd be happy to be topped out. My unhappiness stems from never being able to attain that, and pay progression so slow we have fallen seriously behind inflation. And Brett, you didn't disappoint, you skirted the subject. To say you'd be content with my description of conditions is disingenuous. And LTFedExer, at least you're consistent. You don't know my finances, make invalid assumptions, and generally display ignorance. You must be very proud.

brett636

Agreed. Even at UPS I have found fulltime employees complaining about the pay. Some people just cannot be pleased.
You can look up all my posts on the subject. I've gotten into strong arguments with MrFedEx on the subject. I've never believed FedEx could pay UPS pay and benefits. My concern is they keep taking away from what we already had, which was considerably less than UPS. I'd be happy to be topped out. My unhappiness stems from never being able to attain that, and pay progression so slow we have fallen seriously behind inflation. And Brett, you didn't disappoint, you skirted the subject. To say you'd be content with my description of conditions is disingenuous. And LTFedExer, at least you're consistent. You don't know my finances, make invalid assumptions, and generally display ignorance. You must be very proud.[/QUOTE]

I skirted no issue brought up in this thread. I did not say I would be perfectly happy with your situation. I stated that if I was as unhappy as you obviously are I would look elsewhere for employment. I disagree with your premise that the world is against us as employees. Anyone willing to take the risks associated with persuing happiness will find it if they look hard enough. You haven't found it and are unwilling to look for it so you are unhappy as expected. My basic stance on you is that if you were in my shoes you would be just as disgruntled as you are now.

vantexan

I skirted no issue brought up in this thread. I did not say I would be perfectly happy with your situation. I stated that if I was as unhappy as you obviously are I would look elsewhere for employment. I disagree with your premise that the world is against us as employees. Anyone willing to take the risks associated with persuing happiness will find it if they look hard enough. You haven't found it and are unwilling to look for it so you are unhappy as expected. My basic stance on you is that if you were in my shoes you would be just as disgruntled as you are now.
If I were in your shoes I'd be 20 years younger, presumably healthy, with a great future. Pretty much where I was 20 years ago. I can look you in the eye and tell you I've been tops in productivity everywhere I've been, other than a couple of domiciled locations where numbers were skewed. When I was 27 I once knocked off 19 stops in 24 minutes in a 36 story bldg in downtown Seattle that I had never been in before. I was excited about the job, excited about the future. I came to learn that no matter how hard I worked I wouldn't be rewarded for it. And that while FedEx expected me to be 100% honest the same didn't apply to many of the mgrs I worked for. You base your assessment of me on assumptions, but you don't know what 25 years of dealing with a dishonest system can do to you. I have no idea what UPS mgmt is like, but too many FedEx mgrs will screw you over in a blink of an eye if they thought it would advance their career. This isn't assuming anything, this is from dealing with mgrs who were committing fraud, cheating customers, cheating me. A number of them lost their jobs, a number of them got things swept under the rug. When I think of what I went through just to get that pension, the work, the lies, the stress, and then had the company do what they have done with the pay and the pension, yes it makes me angry. But you on the other hand don't know but think you do. I hope your UPS career is nice and quiet with no more than the usual stress of doing the job and dealing with personalities. I've been chewed up and spit out. My 99% plugged artery was a direct result of the stress and my diet. So I'm going to keep pointing things out on this thread as long as people like you keep coming at me, thinking you've got it figured out when you really don't.

brett636

If I were in your shoes I'd be 20 years younger, presumably healthy, with a great future. Pretty much where I was 20 years ago. I can look you in the eye and tell you I've been tops in productivity everywhere I've been, other than a couple of domiciled locations where numbers were skewed. When I was 27 I once knocked off 19 stops in 24 minutes in a 36 story bldg in downtown Seattle that I had never been in before. I was excited about the job, excited about the future. I came to learn that no matter how hard I worked I wouldn't be rewarded for it. And that while FedEx expected me to be 100% honest the same didn't apply to many of the mgrs I worked for. You base your assessment of me on assumptions, but you don't know what 25 years of dealing with a dishonest system can do to you. I have no idea what UPS mgmt is like, but too many FedEx mgrs will screw you over in a blink of an eye if they thought it would advance their career. This isn't assuming anything, this is from dealing with mgrs who were committing fraud, cheating customers, cheating me. A number of them lost their jobs, a number of them got things swept under the rug. When I think of what I went through just to get that pension, the work, the lies, the stress, and then had the company do what they have done with the pay and the pension, yes it makes me angry. But you on the other hand don't know but think you do. I hope your UPS career is nice and quiet with no more than the usual stress of doing the job and dealing with personalities. I've been chewed up and spit out. My 99% plugged artery was a direct result of the stress and my diet. So I'm going to keep pointing things out on this thread as long as people like you keep coming at me, thinking you've got it figured out when you really don't.

Oh my, I never expected it to be that bad. I mean, at UPS nobody ever gets harassed, intimidated, threatened, or lied to by management. Its a very strict company policy that management treat all employees respectfully at all times or suffer severe consequences. In fact it is UPS policy that all center managers send flowers to their employees when they call in sick. Nobody working anywhere for UPS has had their paychecks messed up, or their pensions unexpectedly lowered.

My fellow brown cafe UPS employees know better then to swallow the load of bull I just fed you, but I thought I would go ahead and alert you that is was BS because I'm afraid you may actually buy it. Allow me to let you onto a little secret. Everything you just posted is nothing your average full time UPS employee hasn't been through or experienced sometime in their career. You are not special in your experiences. In fact you are par for the course for a lot of us regardless of who you work for. In fact its worse when you include the union and who manage it. I have had union business agents state point blank they wished my job was never created. I've attended union pension meetings where it was stated in so many words that if your a 20 something(ie, me) that you should expect less from your pension. Doesn't quite give you that warm tingly feeling about your situation I can guarantee you that. You post this nonsense thinking your special and your the only person in the world to ever experience this kind of treatment, and I am here to tell you that you are not. Doesn't matter what side of the fence you are on or how green the grass is that you graze it is not quite so perfect once you jump sides. Now put away the little violin you are playing for yourself and take responsibility for your situation. Remember that nobody but you are responsible for your future and how it turns out. The better you understand this the better off you will be.

vantexan

OK, fast forward 20 years, you've been through the mill, and no, you are only getting a fraction of what was promised, your future is bleak. Then come talk to me.

Van`s future. Wonder if he`ll complain about not getting paid fairly for the days bushel.

Guatemalan Coffee Picker Happy If Single Person Starts Day Alert

HUEHUETENANGO, GUATEMALA—Carmen Harroyo spends 16 hours a day picking coffee beans, but the weather-beaten 17-year-old said Monday that she is glad to do it if it helps give a single coffee drinker a much-needed morning boost. "I make $2 a day and share a room with my five sisters, but all the hard work is worth it if I help just one American suburbanite jumpstart her day," Harroyo said, batting away a swarm of mosquitoes. "I appreciate the opportunity to touch another person's life." Harroyo said she dreams of someday helping people get their antioxidants by picking sticks from bushels of green tea until her fingers bleed.

brett636

Van`s future. Wonder if he`ll complain about not getting paid fairly for the days bushel.

Guatemalan Coffee Picker Happy If Single Person Starts Day Alert

HUEHUETENANGO, GUATEMALA—Carmen Harroyo spends 16 hours a day picking coffee beans, but the weather-beaten 17-year-old said Monday that she is glad to do it if it helps give a single coffee drinker a much-needed morning boost. "I make $2 a day and share a room with my five sisters, but all the hard work is worth it if I help just one American suburbanite jumpstart her day," Harroyo said, batting away a swarm of mosquitoes. "I appreciate the opportunity to touch another person's life." Harroyo said she dreams of someday helping people get their antioxidants by picking sticks from bushels of green tea until her fingers bleed.

/vantexan She knows nothing. Just wait till her pension is slashed after doing that 20 years! /vantexan

packageguy

Have been reading newspaper articles about how CEO's and other exec's have been getting the lion's share of the income in this latest "recovery". Meanwhile the middle class continues to get squeezed. Occurred to me that we do have one weapon available to make a point to them: our 401k accounts. Weekly billions are being pumped into the market from our paychecks. Supposed to set us up for retirement but for many of us we don't make enough to properly fund our 401k. Thus we don't receive much for our efforts and we are also in danger of having our funds greatly reduced in a crisis. But collectively our contributions are used to buy stock on the open market. Those who own large amounts of stock i.e. our corporate exec's benefit greatly from this buying. And to insure that the mutual funds buy large amounts of their company's stock they pay out many millions in stock dividends while holding down our pay. We contribute to their success with little to show for it. It's time we show them we do matter and deserve better. If you want to make a point to those who benefit greatly from this system then withdraw from any stock funds in your 401k. Better yet put your contribution at 0% until they wake up and see we do matter. And spread the word!!

I don't mean any disrespect,
I don't understand why you are here telling us how to invest with 401k plan, some of us do very well, stay conservative, and keep on eye on it. Put your money in a bank and get 1%, no thanks, We all have our way of doing things. thank you

vantexan

I don't mean any disrespect, I don't understand why you are here telling us how to invest with 401k plan, some of us do very well, stay conservative, and keep on eye on it. Put your money in a bank and get 1%, no thanks, We all have our way of doing things. thank you
Not telling you to do anything. Just pointing out that there's something millions of employees could do to fight back being pushed out of the middle class. Those still in the middle class apparently find it irritating that anyone who couldn't keep up believe there should be a better way.

vantexan

Bull........if you were at top pay, you would still complain it wasn't enough.You're right, I don't know your finances. But, you wouldn't be complaining if you were doing fine.
If I were topped out the extra money would be going into savings to make up for losing the traditional pension. I'm not interested in toys or buying a house in the 'burbs. That's it. Nothing more. I just don't get why you presume to put words in my mouth? Maybe a career on a psychic hotline would work for you. If you think you are getting fairly rewarded for your efforts more power to you. I don't, and I bet if we were to vote on a union the majority would vote yes.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
What I mean is that companies like FedEx are paying out as much as they can in dividends. In FedEx's case they paid out over 150 million dollars in Fiscal Year 2011. The last quarter of that year they paid 13 cents a share. In order for that to amount to much you'd have to own alot of shares. So the mutual funds buy the stock to get the dividend. Alot of it. They are the driving force behind the stock price. The demand keeps the price high. Who benefits? The corporate exec's who own alot of the stock. If I were going to sell 10,000 of my personal shares on the market, would I want the price to be $30 a share, or $100? So I'll do whatever it takes within the law to maximize my company's profit and pay out as much as I can in dividends to attract buyers. And taking away from my employees is an easy way to bolster profits. Sending good jobs overseas to be done by cheap labor is a good way to increase profit. Bottom line for corporate exec's is that the real wealth isn't in their salaries, it's in the stock that they own. Everything we do on the job is to maximize profit to help them make more money with a higher stock price. That's it in a nutshell.

Hang on, dude. I think you're waaaaay mixed up about dividends, stock prices, and mutual funds and how they interact. FDX's profit/loss doesn't mean squat to any mutual fund that doesn't include FDX stocks, and most mutual funds don't. A mutual fund doesn't buy the stock to get the dividend, it buys it for the perfomance of the stock; any dividends (if any) go to the person who buys the fund (you).

No argument about maximizing profit. That's what we all do, you and I included.

vantexan

Van`s future. Wonder if he`ll complain about not getting paid fairly for the days bushel.Guatemalan Coffee Picker Happy If Single Person Starts Day AlertHUEHUETENANGO, GUATEMALA—Carmen Harroyo spends 16 hours a day picking coffee beans, but the weather-beaten 17-year-old said Monday that she is glad to do it if it helps give a single coffee drinker a much-needed morning boost. "I make $2 a day and share a room with my five sisters, but all the hard work is worth it if I help just one American suburbanite jumpstart her day," Harroyo said, batting away a swarm of mosquitoes. "I appreciate the opportunity to touch another person's life." Harroyo said she dreams of someday helping people get their antioxidants by picking sticks from bushels of green tea until her fingers bleed.
If I choose to go that rt I know of a place in Guatemala where I could camp in my truck camper full-time for less than $100 a month. They have showers, a sauna, free wi-fi and an onsite restaurant that gets great reviews. Sits at 6000' with incredible mountain views and year-round spring like weather. Sirius satellite radio works there, Netflix will soon, can get DirecTV, 3 miles from Antigua, one of the most popular expat towns in Central America, if not the most popular. Terrific volcanic soil in the area, you wouldn't believe the quality of the fruit and veggies grown, and they cost 10% of U.S. supermarket prices. You may have a million choices in the States, but what does it matter if you can't afford it? So make light of it all you want, says more about you than me. And what's funny is I'll live as well as you on considerably less but you could do extremely well in many places overseas with just the nice pension you'll get. But your conditioning won't let you do it. So believe it costs more because it's so much better and that's the way it is.

vantexan

Hang on, dude. I think you're waaaaay mixed up about dividends, stock prices, and mutual funds and how they interact. FDX's profit/loss doesn't mean squat to any mutual fund that doesn't include FDX stocks, and most mutual funds don't. A mutual fund doesn't buy the stock to get the dividend, it buys it for the perfomance of the stock; any dividends (if any) go to the person who buys the fund (you).No argument about maximizing profit. That's what we all do, you and I included.
Of course stock analysts try to find undervalued stock of well performing companies. But when a stock is hovering at a fairly substantial price, like FedEx has been lately, what keeps the price there? No one is buying a say $90 stock that stays roughly at that price just to hold it. And if no one were buying it the price would drop to the support line where it would be considered good value. So what is keeping FedEx stock at recent levels? The dividend paid on outstanding shares. Last quarter that was 13 cents a share so you can see it takes a lot of shares to amount to any thing. Who's buying those many millions of shares? Mom and pop buying 10 shares? No, who has that kind of money? What system pumps billions of dollars into the stock market every week? The mutual fund families like Vanguard are buying those shares and any dividends paid go to the mutual fund shareholders i.e. employees contributing to their 401k's.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
The mutual fund families like Vanguard are buying those shares and any dividends paid go to the mutual fund shareholders i.e. employees contributing to their 401k's.

That's what I said.

It's likely my fault, but I'm not sure what it is you're trying to say.

vantexan

That's what I said.It's likely my fault, but I'm not sure what it is you're trying to say.
Just what I've been saying all along, that those many millions of 401k contributors who can only contribute minimal amounts due to low pay, and thus won't have a great retirement, could theoretically band together to insist on better pay and/or benefits by taking away their 401k contributions, the lifeblood of today's stock market. Move money in accounts out of the stock fund options into the bond fund or money market option. This is all academic, won't happen, but it sure touched a nerve with those who have substantial 401k accounts and don't want anyone to mess with the system. But this system is pushing people out of the middle class. Too bad for us I guess.

brett636

Hang on, dude. I think you're waaaaay mixed up about dividends, stock prices, and mutual funds and how they interact. FDX's profit/loss doesn't mean squat to any mutual fund that doesn't include FDX stocks, and most mutual funds don't. A mutual fund doesn't buy the stock to get the dividend, it buys it for the perfomance of the stock; any dividends (if any) go to the person who buys the fund (you).No argument about maximizing profit. That's what we all do, you and I included.
Of course stock analysts try to find undervalued stock of well performing companies. But when a stock is hovering at a fairly substantial price, like FedEx has been lately, what keeps the price there? No one is buying a say $90 stock that stays roughly at that price just to hold it. And if no one were buying it the price would drop to the support line where it would be considered good value. So what is keeping FedEx stock at recent levels? The dividend paid on outstanding shares. Last quarter that was 13 cents a share so you can see it takes a lot of shares to amount to any thing. Who's buying those many millions of shares? Mom and pop buying 10 shares? No, who has that kind of money? What system pumps billions of dollars into the stock market every week? The mutual fund families like Vanguard are buying those shares and any dividends paid go to the mutual fund shareholders i.e. employees contributing to their 401k's.[/QUOTE]

A 13 cent dividend isn't all that impressive. UPS pays nearly .50 a share and the stock price is lower. FedEx stock varies more in its price making its value in buying low and selling high. UPS makes a better income stock because of the dividend.

FYI, there is nothing academic about your proposal, just pure ignorance. As stated earlier when investments get cheap it attracts more investors as the smart ones know you buy low sell high.

vantexan

A 13 cent dividend isn't all that impressive. UPS pays nearly .50 a share and the stock price is lower. FedEx stock varies more in its price making its value in buying low and selling high. UPS makes a better income stock because of the dividend. FYI, there is nothing academic about your proposal, just pure ignorance. As stated earlier when investments get cheap it attracts more investors as the smart ones know you buy low sell high.
We're talking about FedEx as an example but across the board companies are paying as much of a dividend as they can to attract buyers. They don't have to hold the stock for income as once they have collected the dividend they can move on. But while they are buying a given stock to get it's dividend they are driving the price up which is what the corporate execs want so that they can capitalize on the moment and exercise options or sell personal stock. And as the stock settles some it becomes a more attractive buy later. As I've said before there is a symbiotic relationship between corporate boards approving a quarterly dividend and the funds that manage 401k's for those same corporations. And the common thread is the massive amount of money that employees provide. The funds have it to invest, and the corporate execs are wanting their share of it through personal stock sales. I know I'm just a courier. Please forgive my ignorance. Totally deluded.