Early Contract Talk Press Release

Just Lurking

Looks like they want to start early. How quickly do think they will break off pretty quickly.

Interesting rumors I have heard.

The company was looking to start talks early because our contract expires in middle of the Olympic in Bejing. Can you say big international push. But Hoffa tried look like he was out in front.

Other is that company is wanting UPS Freight to be article under our National Master instead of Freight Master. This is causing alot of in-fighting in the Teamsters. The problem being freight falls in one local and UPS falls into misc. locals with warehouse, clerical, etc which is the case in our area. Basically, its a fight over who gets members and their dollars.

25yrvet

I for one hope there's early talks & an early contract (I can always HOPE!). No room for games on either side of the table. If things get bad or drawn out...remember, '08 is an election year and this contract could/should be an issue with the politicians. Do they care about the middle class or not?

bear123

I dont necessarily mind the early talks, but I also dont want the union or the company to sneak this contract in by offering signing bonuses. There is a lot to talk about like pensions, and benefits. For Art. 22 people there is absolutely no language in to decscribe what art. 22 people are allowed to do. For example, we weren't allowed to work peak season overtime or work Super Saturday. We have got to have that fixed.

One other thing, rumor has it that another reason why the early talks is that UPS will be celebrating their 100 year anniversary. UPS does not want the up coming contract hanging over their heads as they start preparing for this event,

wily_old_vet

Contract delays would hurt both sides. Teamsters would lose jobs and UPS would lose a lot of revenue. Hope they can work it out early but I doubt it.

over9five

Staff member
I doubt it too. The Teamsters have nothing to bargain with. Their only negotiating tool is the threat of a strike.

mittam

over9five said:
I doubt it too. The Teamsters have nothing to bargain with. Their only negotiating tool is the threat of a strike.
You are so right the Teamsters have nothing but lies and deception to deal with they could not be truthfull if they had to, makes you want to look another way like the APWA

beentheredonethat

over9five said:
If negotiations go down to 7/31/08 weather or not a strike is mentioned by the Teamsters in the media. The only ones who will truly benefit is FEDEX, DHL and USPS. Many customers will divert. Every year, Fedex Ground is getting bigger, who delivered the majority of those packages back 10 years ago? We did!!!. In the 10K qtrly report ending Feb 2006. FedEx ground revenue was 1.363 billion dollars. This is 163 million more then the prior years Qtr. There's no doubt both the UPS and teamsters will survive even if there is a strike. But both UPS and the Teamsters (the union and the people) will be seriously hurt. The best way to handle this is to have early negotiations, and end them early (Hopefully at least by 3/31/08). That doesn't mean UPS will win, or the Teamsters will win. If we don't both sides will lose.
Beentheredonethat

ja4079

ja4079
over9 you are so correct, the stike ended last time as soon as UPS pulled the penison out of the talks!!! don't care what others might say

bear123 said:
I dont necessarily mind the early talks, but I also dont want the union or the company to sneak this contract in by offering signing bonuses. There is a lot to talk about like pensions, and benefits. For Art. 22 people there is absolutely no language in to decscribe what art. 22 people are allowed to do. For example, we weren't allowed to work peak season overtime or work Super Saturday. We have got to have that fixed.

One other thing, rumor has it that another reason why the early talks is that UPS will be celebrating their 100 year anniversary. UPS does not want the up coming contract hanging over their heads as they start preparing for this event,
yeah I never understood how someone that has only been there a year or maybe even a month could work 12 hours and not even just at christmas....but now when we are short handed new people can double drivers help.ect..but article 22.3 people can not work over 8 hours..why is that? and where is it written it is not in my bid no overtime how bout everybody else/////