Earnings

I don't get it. At one time, just recently in fact, FDX stock price was below ours, now almost $12.00 higher and expanding everyday. I'm a stock novice so clue me in how FDX is climbing, while our seems stuck in the mud.

Valuation...

Google at $446 is 4 times cheaper than Yahoo at $17

pretzel_man

I don't get it. At one time, just recently in fact, FDX stock price was below ours, now almost $12.00 higher and expanding everyday. I'm a stock novice so clue me in how FDX is climbing, while our seems stuck in the mud.

The overly simple answer is that the stock market looks at what current earnings are plus what they think FUTURE earnings will be for that stock stock.

All things being equal, as earnings grow, stock price should grow.

Of course there are many other factors, but the growth in FedEx stock is based on the fact that they are (or are seen) as growing.

P-Man

pretzel_man

I find this very interesting as volume at Fedex has dropped down to scary levels.

Their stock price has also dropped. Right now, they are seeing faster growth than UPS because the market sees them as growing faster....

Again, all things being equal growth (projected and / or current) will equate to higher stock price.

P-Man

FedEX 4 Life

Their stock price has also dropped. Right now, they are seeing faster growth than UPS because the market sees them as growing faster....

Again, all things being equal growth (projected and / or current) will equate to higher stock price.

P-Man
FDX recently was in the 30s

I find this very interesting as volume at Fedex has dropped down to scary levels.

You and every other pro-fedex person posting on b/c need to read the article on the home page by the Gerson Lehram Group. To qoute a small portion "While UPS was earning 846 million using a teamster work force...non-union FEDEX lost 779 million for it's corresponding six months" Put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!

You and every other pro-fedex person posting on b/c need to read the article on the home page by the Gerson Lehram Group. To qoute a small portion "While UPS was earning 846 million using a teamster work force...non-union FEDEX lost 779 million for it's corresponding six months" Put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!

FedEx Express is the major revenue driver of FedEx as a whole. Our ground operation is nothing like what UPS and UPS, as a whole, is larger than FedEx. As companies have looked to cut expenses, they've also moved to less expensive methods of transporting goods. Then there's the Kinko's and Watkins charges that resulted in a loss...(yes, it is a business decision). I don't see the union vs non-union argument here, but everyone is entiltled to their own opinion. :wink2:

FedEX 4 Life

Going by these numbers UPS should be putting Fedex out of business pretty soon.

clueless

Trying to get a qtrly P&L that breaks out fuel charges, instead of just a general category of "Selling, General, and Administrative"

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/is?s=UPS

Any ideas? That category covers such a wide expanse as to be meaningless.

You will get far more granularity in the 10-Q filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission. According to the MRQ's 10-Q, fuel charges comprised approximately 5% of what the Yahoo site categorizes as SG&A. Note: the "others" line item used by Yahoo for UPS refers to Depreciation and Amoritization.

Here's the direct link to the last 10-Q filed (for the quarter ended March 31, 2009):

http://sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1090727/000119312509103543/d10q.htm#toc17805_3

Scroll down to the "Statements of Consolidated Income"--it provides the breakdown of operating expenses.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Note: the "others" line item used by Yahoo for UPS refers to Depreciation
In 2005 I was a lot of that Depreciation cost.:wink2:

Ain't nothin says I love and appreciate you more after 33 years, than being depreciated. I feel so cheap and used.........

d

A

anonymous6

UPS has announced lower earnings expectations for the second quarter.

Now is when the rubber meets the road. Can UPS act like a private company and manage to the long term??

While I'm in favor of most of the things UPS has done, I think going public was a poor choice. I think thats the one thing Jim Casey would never approve of.

Hold on for this ride.

P-Man

if past performance is any indication of future results , UPS will NOT look at this long term ( Getting The Big Picture ) and will have a knee jerk reaction to this.

meaning , it is all our fault, stealing time , overallowed, excess idling, and generally slacking off like we always do ( in their eyes )

we will see more writeups, more ride alongs, more and more micro manageing until the economy comes back.

happy happy joy joy.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
we will see more writeups, more ride alongs, more and more micro manageing until the economy comes back.
You forgot to add "hire more supervisors/IE guys that didnt get a raise, and no vacation pay, to help micro manage.":wink2:

d

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Big Brown's Quarter Not So Bad ... Especially Compared With FedEx's Results

Saturday, July 25, 2009
  • Analysis by: John Schulz
  • Analysis of: UPS Earnings Decline 49 Percent as Downturn Cuts Demand | query.nytimes.com
  • Source: www.glgroup.com
Summary: United Parcel Service posted second-quarter net income of $449 million on $10.8 billion in revenue. That was a 49 percent drop in earnings and a 17 percent drop in sales compared with year-ago figures. The company's chief financial offer, Kurt Kuehn, told analysts that the world's largest transport company is "cautious, frankly" about the rest of 2009's earnings. The company says it has no confidence that either demand or activity is going to pick up substantially" for the next several months.

Analysis: The people who run United Parcel Service are a tough bunch to satisfy. Nearly everybody else in the transport industry would die to earn $15 million net profit every day in the waning days of a recession. Not UPS.

Earnings slumped in the second quarter to "only" $445 million, a 49 percent drop from 2008 second-quarter earnings. At the company's mainstay, its U.S. domestic package segment which produces 63 percent of revenue, the unit's operating ratio was only a so-so 93. For UPS, this is like striking out three times in four at-bats.

Still, counting UPS's first-quarter earnings of $401 million, that means the company earning $846 million in the first half of the year -- not bad, considering the first quarter traditionally is slow, China imports have slowed, the worldwide recession has everyone thinking of ways to cut back and other economies. That was evident in the fact that UPS planes flew 11 percent fewer hours, saving some 14 million gallons of fuel in the second quarter. That was a major factor in UPS consuming 54 percent less fuel in the quarter for a total fuel bill of $539 million as oil prices collapsed in the quarter.

But what really is impressive, analysts' whining not withstanding, is UPS's performance vis-a-vis its major competitor, FedEx. While UPS was earning $846 million using a Teamsters work force, non-union FedEx actually lost $779 million for its corresponding six months.
Who says unionized workers can't be productive?

Hidden in the UPS earnings report was a glimmer of hope for its LTL operation and heavy freight operators in general.

While much of the LTL industry is grappling with double-digit percentage drops in volume, UPS's "supply chain and freight segment" (which includes UPS Freight, its LTL operator) posted a tonnage drop of "only" 6.9 percent in the second quarter. That fueled an operating ratio of 93, one of the better figures posted by anyone in the sector.

Of course, that is if one concludes that UPS Freight makes up the lion's share of UPS's "supply chain and freight segment." Nobody really knows. The company will not break out results from its LTL operation separately, so one really never knows. But unless UPS's supply chain third party logistics operation is going great guns, one presumes the bulk of this unit's performance was turned in by UPS Freight.

If that's the case, hat's off to Big Brown. It's one of the best performances of the quarter. Makes one wonder what they will do when the economy comes roaring back. It will come roaring back, right?
thx for the facts,, seems nobody wants to address reality

BrownSuit

What is the method used to figure this out?

Take the number of outstanding shares and multiply it by the share price.

Google has 315.9M Shares outstanding @ $444.80 whereas Yahoo has 1.4B shares outstanding @ $17.00

Value of Google - $140.51B
Value of Yahoo - $23.80B

Valuation of Google is only 5.9X that of Yahoo

UPS Versus FedEx
UPS - 995M @ $54.20
FedEx - 312.3M @ $66.59

Value of UPS $53.92B
Value of FedEx $20.76B

Valuation of UPS is 2.6X that of FedEx

Last edited by a moderator:

beentheredonethat

Take the number of outstanding shares and multiply it by the share price.

Google has 315.9M Shares outstanding @ $444.80 whereas Yahoo has 1.4B shares outstanding @ $17.00

Value of Google - $1405.13B
Value of Yahoo - $238.00B

Valuation of Google is only 5.9X that of Yahoo

UPS Versus FedEx
UPS - 995M @ $54.20
FedEx - 312.3M @ $66.59

Value of UPS $539.29B
Value of FedEx $207.96B

Valuation of UPS is 2.6X that of FedEx

You're off by a factor of 10 with your math on these stocks. UPS is only 54 Billion, not 540 Billion. Same for Fdx, Yahoo and google

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
so we only need 54 billion to go private again

54,000,000,000 / 400,000

thats only $135,000 per person. sweet.

The majority of this stock is already held by UPS employees. We only have to buy back the rest. I believe we only made about 5 billion on the IPO. Then again I could be dead wrong.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
The majority of this stock is already held by UPS employees. We only have to buy back the rest. I believe we only made about 5 billion on the IPO. Then again I could be dead wrong.

not sure about the IPO number, but I have always been told we are still 80% employee owned...not sure though.