Earnings

ups79

UPS has been buying shares. They no longer have 1 Billion out, actually they only have 995 million, which is a long way from "billions"(your word).

satellitedriver

Does anybody besides me find this disturbing??

I think, we have become penny wise, pound foolish.
d
Yes, it is a very disturbing observation, that is being ignored.
The U.S., and the world, is in economic downturn, or at best in a state of flux. Now is not time for UPS to lose the core value of service.
When business's are struggling, we (UPS) should redouble our efforts to keep them in business through servicing their needs,not ours. Gaining their volume is not the same as servicing their needs.
This recession will pass, in time.
2,3 maybe 10yrs from now, to full growth recovery.
When the tide turns and all ships are lifted, the tightest ship may be fast "aground", because it set it's sails (pun) high, in a lowering tide.
Another metaphor,
-( or just a very visual image)-,
One of the body casts made at Pompeii is of a man gathering coins that he spilled while the ash slowly fell on him. His body cast showed he was grasping at a coin just inches away from his grasp. If he would have just kept on walking and helping others around him along the way to safety, he might have made many multiples of that coin in the coming years.

Sorry dannyboy,
for doing a Readers Digest condensed version of your post.
It just seemed to be very pertinent.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Sorry dannyboy
Dont apologize, it fit perfectly.

In this day of overly price conscious shoppers, the people with a higher price need to offer something to the customer to make that customer feel like it is worth that extra price. Its called value added.

Right now, UPS seems to be in a mode that is trying to impress the customer with all these little high tech value added bling blings. And yeah, they are nice.

But as a customer, I would rather have my packages on time, at the same time daily, rather than have to access the computer to find out if they will be there at 10:30 AM or after 4:30 PM. A package that gets there right before closing time might as well be delivered the next day. It has no value to me at closing time. Where it has value is when it gets delivered earlier in the day so I can do something with it.

Our company is run by a bunch of high tech geeks that think the rest of the world is impressed.

We need to stay focused on our customer base. And build on it by building value, something that judging by our stock price, people dont see. To far too many customers, we are not a valued part of their business, we are more like a necessary inconvenience that they dont have a choice in.

We need to understand that when we make a change in the deliveries of the business packages to our customers. And they dont give a rats behind about UPS saving a few cents here and there, they want their packages as early as they can. Just like they have had for years.

d

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I had a customer ask me yesterday, "Why is it you get here at 10am and the other driver doesn't get here until 4?". I tried to explain to him why but you know what, he didn't care. All he wants is his stuff delivered at reasonable time and consistantly. This BS about changing rtes around everyday is pissing the customers off and we ARE losing business over it. Why is it that only the drivers can see this and corporate can't.

PULL YOUR COLLECTIVE HEADS OUT CORPORATE. IT'S TIME TO WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE.

I see no reason why I should waste my time on sales leads when they turn around a push those leads right back to Fred because of their assinine decisions.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Hey dill, didnt get a good nights sleep?:wink2:

Im glad to see that its not just my frustration.

d
No, not really. I woke at 4a. It's gonna be a long day. And no Danny, it's not just your frustration. You have the distinct advantage or disadvantage (depending on who's point of view) of having dealt/deal with both sides of this business, as a driver and now as a customer. You have a somewhat unique view. Personally, if I was your driver I would be bending over backwards to keep you especially happy.:wink2: Wouldn't want any customer complaints, you know how to find the skeletons in the closet.

JustTired

free at last.......
I had a customer ask me yesterday, "Why is it you get here at 10am and the other driver doesn't get here until 4?". I tried to explain to him why but you know what, he didn't care. All he wants is his stuff delivered at reasonable time and consistantly. This BS about changing rtes around everyday is pissing the customers off and we ARE losing business over it. Why is it that only the drivers can see this and corporate can't.

PULL YOUR COLLECTIVE HEADS OUT CORPORATE. IT'S TIME TO WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE.

I see no reason why I should waste my time on sales leads when they turn around a push those leads right back to Fred because of their assinine decisions.

OK, here's my opinion and I've expressed it before.

While the typical driver defines a "customer" as any one he picks up from or delivers to, the company (for the most part) sees only those we pick up from as the "customer".

While it's true that we are only paid by the pickup customer, we are an extension of that pickup customer. Meaning that their customer becomes our customer when we commit to the delivery of the product.

When XYZ Co. sends a pkg thru our system to their "customer", we are XYZ Co. on the delivery end. Whether it's on time, delivered properly, damaged, driver being rude, etc., it reflects not only on UPS but the XYZ Co. as well.

Until someone realizes that actions on the UPS end not only reflect upon UPS, but the company we consider "our customer".....then business will continue to be lost.

While some changes have been for the better...far too many have been to the detriment of customers. And I'm using the driver definition of customer here.

I feel that the company could listen to the drivers concerns with a more open mind. After all, the driver has his finger on the pulse of the business. Too many higher up seem to be standing there ready to use a defibrillator on a patient that's suffering a head cold at worst.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
OK, here's my opinion and I've expressed it before.

While the typical driver defines a "customer" as any one he picks up from or delivers to, the company (for the most part) sees only those we pick up from as the "customer".

While it's true that we are only paid by the pickup customer, we are an extension of that pickup customer. Meaning that their customer becomes our customer when we commit to the delivery of the product.

When XYZ Co. sends a pkg thru our system to their "customer", we are XYZ Co. on the delivery end. Whether it's on time, delivered properly, damaged, driver being rude, etc., it reflects not only on UPS but the XYZ Co. as well.

Until someone realizes that actions on the UPS end not only reflect upon UPS, but the company we consider "our customer".....then business will continue to be lost.

While some changes have been for the better...far too many have been to the detriment of customers. And I'm using the driver definition of customer here.

I feel that the company could listen to the drivers concerns with a more open mind. After all, the driver has his finger on the pulse of the business. Too many higher up seem to be standing there ready to use a defibrillator on a patient that's suffering a head cold at worst.
I agree with you on this and would add:

Let's say the rcvr of XYZ's product has a big account with XYZ and orders from XYZ regularly. Now we (UPS), being an extension of XYZ, have changed the rtes around so much that the rcvr never knows from day to day when they are going to get there del. and has thoroughly pissed the rcvr off. The rcvr calls XYZ and tells them, we can't have this. My Fed ex driver is here everyday at the same time, you change del companies or I change shippers. What is XYZ to do?
plausible theory w/ a valid point.

Now we have lost a shipper and a rcvr because of the inconsistencies of our company. It hurts us on booth ends of the spectrum. Word of mouth travels far faster than our pkgs do.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
While it's true that we are only paid by the pickup customer
That customer pays us, that is true. But that money he pays us is not just for picking the packages up, it to transport and deliver said package to the other end customer of our customer.

As such, we are a serious part of our customers business. Let me repeat that again. UPS is a serious part of our customers business

While we are not employees of our customers business, we are a contractor that they have brought in to do a part of their business that we can do better and cheaper than they could personally. And as such, as long as we provide a level of service that they expect at a reasonable price, everyone is happy and makes money.

Case in point, I used to order from a company that is not too far from here. If you called them by 12, the order would go out that day, and you would have it the next morning. So an item ordered by 12 on Monday would be delivered by 11 or so on Tuesday. Then all of a sudden, for what ever reason, they began taking an extra day in processing the order. Now its Wednesday AM. But wait, UPS cuts the splits on Wednesday, so instead of the usual by lunch delivery, I dont get it until 4:30 or later. So practically speaking, what I used to order on Monday morning and get Tuesday morning is ready for Thursday morning business. OR an addition of two days to get the stuff in.

That kills my business. Yeah, it still gets here the next day, and part of it is not UPS's fault. But to have that type of delay, thats one reason why I changed suppliers.

Sales, everyone gets it but you. Currently I am PM'ing with others that are in sales/management to see what we can do.

BTW, I am not, nor do I post anti management, I post anti stupidity, which is why you have received the posts from me that you have.

d

moreluck

golden ticket member
expected: $10.04
actual $12.30

Revenue expected: $36.8
Actual revenue: $39.2 YAHOO!!!! Good news for those holding their breath for the past few days.

feeder05

Some of your requests of less management will be sooner rather than later. The installation of all this new technology is to yes make UPS more efficient, but also to reduce management. The PAS was designed so you could have one manager running 3-4 centers in a HUB, with just using on car's to do the daily paper shuffle, rides, safety etc... The new feeder IVIS, can track what we are doing, but was also designed to get us on and off property faster, thus less management to answer the phones. I know in our district the they are going to have one less dispatcher in the future.