Earnings

satellitedriver

you are such a simple man dannyboy.

True,
dannyboy is a simple man.
You, on the other hand, seem to be just simplistic.
Simple is not a definition of stupidity or ignorance..
One can live a simple life and be a simple man.
Just three quick examples;
Jesus
Buddha
Gandhi
Not that I place danny on their plane, but you should get the simple reference.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
True,
dannyboy is a simple man.
You, on the other hand, seem to be just simplistic.
Simple is not a definition of stupidity or ignorance..
One can live a simple life and be a simple man.
Just three quick examples;
Jesus
Buddha
Gandhi
Not that I place danny on their plane, but you should get the simple reference.

no, i really don't....but I get your point - whatever i say is wrong.

danny sounds like he actully lives a very complicated double life.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
How many years at UPS?
How many years driving?
How many years promising (not selling) service?
Simple questions.
Will you answer them?

why do I need to stoop to your level? i never insluted anyones job at this company, allthough mine is berated constantly. - see your post for example.

i am going to always play the other side of the coin and not let people badmouth UPS and our managers all the time. there is no dispute that drivers are the face of our company. some drivers have no respect for other people in the organization and it is sickening and I am not going to let it go unoticed. you should start a management only board if you want to play it fair.

night everyone. I have a job to do tomorrow. or a paycheck to steal - whatever makes you sleep better.

FedEX 4 Life

why do I need to stoop to your level? i never insluted anyones job at this company, allthough mine is berated constantly. - see your post for example.

i am going to always play the other side of the coin and not let people badmouth UPS and our managers all the time. there is no dispute that drivers are the face of our company. some drivers have no respect for other people in the organization and it is sickening and I am not going to let it go unoticed. you should start a management only board if you want to play it fair.

night everyone. I have a job to do tomorrow. or a paycheck to steal - whatever makes you sleep better.
Dude i will pay you to stop posting.Do you accept Paypal?

satellitedriver

No need for you to stoop to my level, if you tried you would only fall off the shoulders that hoist you up, to your lofty position.
You will not answer the simple questions from my last post.
That is very telling.
Wrong, my newbie, hotshot "salesman" friend, it is you that should start a management only board.
Really sounds counter productive having everyone saying the same thing to each other.
I am just a lowly, non-management worker and management has made it clear that my experience and area knowledge is worthless.
If you can "sell" it, I can deliver it, just don't expect me to do both our jobs.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Sat, I think the boy just cant get it.

danny sounds like he actully lives a very complicated double life.

Not a double life, but a very full life that has so many hours in it, that maybe it should be two lives. While life is complicated, mine is pretty simple (except for the 6 days the IRS was here(I guess they found out I voted against Obamer)), but very very busy.

Dealing with all the regulations, making sure the spray truck is maintained, has all the proper documentation, Hazmat stickers, the MSDS books for everything in it, and another in the shop, Sales people wanting me to buy their stuff or switch to their service, (service is all you have to sell me on, but even that is now gone), Tax collectors wanting their share, employees all wanting more, each with personal problems that need addressing. And that is all before lunch. Then we get to go out and deal with customers, construction issues, permits and deadlines, traveling to other states to court new customers, make sales presentations, and the day goes on.

AFter the store closes, spend time doing proposals, billing, return emails, work on the website, and document what I did with my day for the IRS. (did I mention I voted against Obama?)

Come and spend a day with me, one of the customers you are trying to keep/lose/who knows, from day to day the way UPS treats its customers. But dont play your guilt games when I switch to Fedex because of the way you treat my business.

d

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Whatever anybody thinks of upssalesguy, the issues happening right now and for the last few years are comming from way above salesguy level. Maybe he needs to convey to his superiors how this company is treating customers and what needs to be done to fix it. Usually fixing things starts from inside ups and trying to get those things in order and the customer part hopefully works itself out.

FedEX 4 Life

Sat, I think the boy just cant get it.

Not a double life, but a very full life that has so many hours in it, that maybe it should be two lives. While life is complicated, mine is pretty simple (except for the 6 days the IRS was here(I guess they found out I voted against Obamer)), but very very busy.

Dealing with all the regulations, making sure the spray truck is maintained, has all the proper documentation, Hazmat stickers, the MSDS books for everything in it, and another in the shop, Sales people wanting me to buy their stuff or switch to their service, (service is all you have to sell me on, but even that is now gone), Tax collectors wanting their share, employees all wanting more, each with personal problems that need addressing. And that is all before lunch. Then we get to go out and deal with customers, construction issues, permits and deadlines, traveling to other states to court new customers, make sales presentations, and the day goes on.

AFter the store closes, spend time doing proposals, billing, return emails, work on the website, and document what I did with my day for the IRS. (did I mention I voted against Obama?)

Come and spend a day with me, one of the customers you are trying to keep/lose/who knows, from day to day the way UPS treats its customers. But dont play your guilt games when I switch to Fedex because of the way you treat my business.

d
I think reality is starting to hit home with all the people who voted for Obama thinking he was going to bring change and fix everything.This is sad but true,as bad as it was in the Bush era,id kill to have that back.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I dont think Bush was all that great. But with the choices we had......I was kinda betting on Palin and a heart attack......

I think Obama will serve a purpose. Sometimes a giant has to be knocked to its knees before the giant wakes up to what is actually going on. Kinda like the Carter years.

d

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Market share loss.

I saw it happening as a driver, I see it happening as a customer.

I think that because we answer to shareholders, we have become penny wise, pound foolish.

Maybe that is what the stock buyers are seeing?

d

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Market share loss.

I saw it happening as a driver, I see it happening as a customer.

I think that because we answer to shareholders, we have become penny wise, pound foolish.

Maybe that is what the stock buyers are seeing?

d

Does anybody besides me find this disturbing??

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Does anybody besides me find this disturbing??
Cold world

I find sleeze guy's philosophy interesting. Dont like the message, shoot or demean the messenger, then there is no problem with the message.

Or in other words, sweep the dirt under the rug, and call the room clean.

Im sorry that dreamers like him dont like what we have to say. I worked alongside of some very talented people as we grew this great company to new and greater heights. And what made it great is that we were focused on the customer, a real team effort to take care of their needs, where local management was actually able to manage something.

Not this new "team" that they are trying to push were you are nothing but a gatherer of leads.

Fedex can be beaten by UPS. But the public view is that they are more reliable, better able to meet the customers needs than UPS.

I would suggest that there is the difference between what the stock is actually worth, and what people think it is worth. We have less debt, we have positive earnings when they are almost 1.5 billion in the opposite direction, but yet their stock with people is rated better.

d

clueless

As far as how a stock is valued--P-Man summed it up pretty much in a nutshell:

The overly simple answer is that the stock market looks at what current earnings are plus what they think FUTURE earnings will be for that stock stock.

All things being equal, as earnings grow, stock price should grow.

Of course there are many other factors, but the growth in FedEx stock is based on the fact that they are (or are seen) as growing.

P-Man

Theoretically, the stock price reflects the net present value of expected future cash flows discounted at the cost of capital. Those expected future cash flows involve growth projections. The discount rate is based on perceived risk (as well as the risk free rate of return which is reflected by gov't T bond rates). There are many factors affecting cash flows--these involve economy-related, industry-related, and company-related conditions. For example, the macroeconomy and market share which affect the top-line, operating margins, tax rates, capex requirements, etc. So if assumptions about any of those variable change, the stock price will change. Always, remember, in stock valuation, expectations are critical.

As far as the market cap discussion-- for the record, as of this morning (before-the-bell) the market cap of the companies discussed thus far is as following:

UPS 53.93B
FDX 20.80B

GOOG 140.15B
YHOO 24.04B

As far as 'valuation', look at relative valuation to compare apples-to-apples--keeping in mind a company is 'cheaper' when it has a lower relative valuation.

P/S (how much you're paying for each dollar of sales)

UPS 1.13
FDX .59

GOOG 6.31
YHOO 3.56

P/E ( how much you're paying for each dollar of earnings)

UPS 26.32
FDX 212.07

GOOG 30.85
YHOO 5666.67

PEG (p/e divided by expected growth rate)

UPS 3.14
FDX 4.59

GOOG 1.09
YHOO 3.08

As far as a buyout to go private-- You have to look at enterprise value (market cap + debt - cash), not just market cap, since you need to pay-off the debtholders as well as the shareholders, but when the company has cash on its books, that will mitigate some of the cost. It would, in theory, require approximately $62B to acquire the company (the L-T debt is about $9B, S-T portion of L-T debt around $3B and cash around $4B). However, in practice, a premium must almost always be added to the current stock price to get shareholder approval for the deal. So, it would be more than $62B in reality.