Earthquake

stringerman85

I know this kind off subject, but did anyone in the Midwest get awaken by that earthquake this morning?? Uh scared the crap out of me, I don't know how you California people handle it! It was a 5.4 near Evansville IN, I am about 125 miles away and it was enough to awaken the whole St. Louis area...So did anyone else feel it? Anyone here from southern IL or the Evansville area?

Last edited:

Ms Spoken

Yes it was felt here in Southern Illinois and my dogs went crazy. So needless to say I was forced to get out of bed early due to both kids getting in our bed. Everything around here looks to be ok just moved around some (pictures on the walls). We live about 80 miles from the center of this earthquake. It's only a matter of time before the BIG ONE hits in our area since we live on the fault line.

Channahon

The Chicagoland area felt the quake for about 10 seconds.

A weatherman in Evansville, Indiana was on TV when it happened and stated quite calmly, was that an earthquake or high winds. And in the background, you could see some shaking going on.

FAVREFAN

It's funny, I felt nothing but my cockatiel went nuts. Birds are super sensitive to vibration when in a cage. I had to get up early to sit with her to calm her down. Took her 5 mins. to relax then I put her back to bed. lol.

moreluck

golden ticket member
It's been a few years since I've felt an EQ.......of course it's hard to distinguish a quake from the bomb testing at Camp Pendleton..they both can rattle your windows.
God bless our marine neighbors.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Welcome to our world! They just predicted that we are gonna get our "big" one within the next 30 years.

We on the west coast live in fear of earthquakes everyday, but since it hasn't happened for awhile we are getting too complacent. I think it'll happen earlier than 30 years.....wayyyyyyyyy earlier.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
It's only a matter of time before the BIG ONE hits in our area since we live on the fault line.

Uh-huh....New Madrid ring any bells? I saw a History Channel program about New Madrid then (early 1800's) and now (the present day). They talked about what would happen if the exact same thing happened again today. Memphis would be rubble, Chicago would be a mess and St. Louis would be in trouble to say the least. Thank heaven I live in a very geologically stable area!

I think it'll happen earlier than 30 years.....wayyyyyyyyy earlier.

Agreed. I remember seeing a video in college in Illinois about 5 years ago about Southern California's earthquakes. At the very end, the narrator said something about a monitoring station in a very shaky area. I don't remember where that was and I don't remember anything specific but the narrator said, "This quake is expected anytime." My instructor hit the stop button and said, "That was almost 15 years ago. They're still waiting." Watch out Southern California! -Rocky

A

Anonymous Beast

We felt it up near the Wisconsin border. I was just coming home from work around 4am and I got inside and was about to head upstairs when the springs in our windows started making noise.

PopCan

We've already had the Big One up here. Hopefully that's it for a long, long while.

I'm glad this quake didn't cause any injuries or much in the way of damage. I've read before that in terrain such as that of the Midwest, the effects of an earthquake are much more widespread than an equally strong earthquake in quake heavy areas like California or Alaska.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I've read before that in terrain such as that of the Midwest, the effects of an earthquake are much more widespread than an equally strong earthquake in quake heavy areas like California or Alaska.

That's true. As explained to me many years ago, the reason is actually two-fold. The first is yes, the terrain. Being so flat, the waves can travel a lot more freely and over a longer distance. There was something about the soil in the Midwest, too but I forget now. I think it thad something to do with the fact that the soil is so much thinner (farmable). This is the reason cities like Memphis would be LEVELED by a major tremblor. Its been five years on my college science, so I'm probably not explaining things very well. -Rocky

helenofcalifornia

My brother was in a trench, underneath his house in the Santa Cruz mountains, (just over the hill from the SF bay area) when the big one hit in '89. He scrambled out, and said the huge redwood trees just waving back and forth like leaves on a tree on a windy day. The scary thing about an earthquake is you don't know how long it's gonna last. I heard that the big one in 1964 in Alaska lasted 5 minutes. 5 minutes???? I would have died of a heart attack if I was ever in a quake that lasted 5 minutes!

brett636

I was sound asleep when it happened. The news was talking about it all day, and so was everybody at work. I missed my chance to experience a real quake. :(

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
That's true. As explained to me many years ago, the reason is actually two-fold. The first is yes, the terrain. Being so flat, the waves can travel a lot more freely and over a longer distance. There was something about the soil in the Midwest, too but I forget now. I think it thad something to do with the fact that the soil is so much thinner (farmable). This is the reason cities like Memphis would be LEVELED by a major tremblor. Its been five years on my college science, so I'm probably not explaining things very well. -Rocky

You may be talking about liquifaction, that makes the effects much more intense.