Equality in the work place

Ms.PacMan

He sends her home before all the higher seniority while we take the rollers out

So your supe is giving more hours to the employees with the highest seniority?

And if she were a male that person would also get sent home first?

So you really don't want to work and enjoy the privileges of seniority and are twisting this into sexism on the part of your supe?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n

So you really don't want to work and enjoy the privileges of seniority and are twisting this into sexism on the part of your supe?
Deciphering what's really going on here is tricky. Under our Supplement you do have he right to go home before a lower seniority employee under article 64. Question is what is the intent and is the sup actually favoring the female employee over the male.

UpsBro

She's lowest seniority in our building highest seniority gets to go home while lower does rollers and iregs at the end of the night

J

jibbs

He sends her home before all the higher seniority while we take the rollers out

Honest question: Is she physically capable of doing that as efficiently as the people they keep on the clock? That could factor into the supe's decision, whether it's his official reasoning at the grievance or his actual reasoning every shift. It would also put him in the right if he were wise enough to use that as his reasoning.

Always remember that seniority guarantees your right to work, not your right to go home before somebody else (unless prior practices in your building or supplement have established that.)

UpsBro

Deciphering what's really going on here is tricky. Under our Supplement you do have he right to go home before a lower seniority employee under article 64. Question is what is the intent and is the sup actually favoring the female employee over the male.
That's what were trying to figure out everyone on my belt feels the same way and they want to talk to the steward and figure it out I thought I'd come on here and ask for any advice or insight

UpsBro

She
Honest question: Is she physically capable of doing that as efficiently as the people they keep on the clock?

Always remember that seniority guarantees your right to work, not your right to go home before somebody else (unless prior practices in your building have established that.)
Has done rollers before until recently my supe hhas her doing lighter work in our building we get sent home by seniority closer to the end of the night he guys out the higher seniority

J

jibbs

If she's done it before, she can do it again.

There might be something else at play here, though. I'd try to be confident in the reason why she leaves before you filed a grievance. Not trying to talk you out of filing one, it's just that you want to have all your ducks in a row before you potentially piss off your employer.

Maybe she's got an injury? Second job that she worked an arrangement out with management over?

If it truly is nepotism and they just happen to like her enough to exclude her from heavy lifting... I'm not sure exactly what you got on your hands with that one, bro, but I'd get with a steward and see if there's a contract violation going on there.

You mentioned she's lowest seniority, though. In my building, they've always sent lower seniority employees home before higher seniority employees. The only exception is when that new guy or girl outshines the rest of preload so obviously that the supe' actually takes notice and treats them like a good employee who deserves to be on the clock.

UpsBro

If she's done it before, she can do it again.

There might be something else at play here, though. I'd try to be confident in the reason why she leaves before you filed a grievance. Not trying to talk you out of filing one, it's just that you want to have all your ducks in a row before you potentially piss off your employer.

Maybe she's got an injury? Second job that she worked an arrangement out with management over?

If it truly is nepotism and they just happen to like her enough to exclude her from heavy lifting... I'm not sure exactly what you got on your hands with that one, bro, but I'd get with a steward and see if there's a contract violation going on there.

You mentioned she's lowest seniority, though. In my building, they've always sent lower seniority employees home before higher seniority employees. The only exception is when that new guy or girl outshines the rest of preload so obviously that the supe' actually takes notice and treats them like a good employee who deserves to be on the clock.
Yea I'm just gonna wait before I do anything for the reason I don't want to piss anyone off. In my building no matter how hard you work or how good you are if your lowest you have to stay we've confronted our supe plenty of times just blows it off Just looking for insight. I've been out for a couple days hurt my back with the rollers as soon as I came back I had to do them still.

J

jibbs

Yea I'm just gonna wait before I do anything for the reason I don't want to piss anyone off. In my building no matter how hard you work or how good you are if your lowest you have to stay we've confronted our supe plenty of times just blows it off Just looking for insight. I've been out for a couple days hurt my back with the rollers as soon as I came back I had to do them still.

See, when you're inside the building you've gotta think like a con. Stay quiet, work hard enough to be left alone, do what you're told by people in authority and keep your eyes and ears open.

The first and last are the important ones, though. You learn a lot when some people know you as the quiet one and others've pegged you psychotic. Just do your job and stay cognizant of everything going on around you; you'll find out what's going on soon enough if you haven't hit the nail on the head already.

Has it really come to this? The youth of today?

So you mean to tell me there are no threads about drivers complaining about having to do more work than other drivers with less seniority on this site? About not wanting to go help someone else out just because they've done what they thought was all of their job?

C'mon, dude, it's not the youth, it's the times. It's also good to keep in mind that the youth are a product of the generation that came before them, so uh, if we wanna play the blame game here....

Last edited by a moderator:

UpsBro

See, when you're inside the building you've gotta think like a con. Stay quiet, work hard enough to be left alone, do what you're told by people in authority and keep your eyes and ears open.

The first and last are the important ones, though. You learn a lot when some people know you as the quiet one and others've pegged you psychotic. Just do your job and stay cognizant of everything going on around you; you'll find out what's going on soon enough if you haven't hit the nail on the head already.

So you mean to tell me there are no threads about drivers complaining about having to do more work than other drivers with less seniority on this site? About not wanting to go help someone else out just because they've done what they thought was all of their job?

C'mon, dude, it's not the youth, it's the times. It's also good to keep in mind that the youth are a product of the generation that came before them, so uh, if we wanna play the blame game here....
We've all done our hard work here to get where we all are and less seniority comes in and doesn't have to work as hard I work hard so I can go home that's all it's not youth it's laziness now getting away with the bare minimum

J

jibbs

We've all done our hard work here to get where we all are and less seniority comes in and doesn't have to work as hard I work hard so I can go home that's all it's not youth it's laziness now getting away with the bare minimum

Dude, I'm on your side. I understand where you're coming from completely. I'm just the type of person that looks at a situation from a thousand different perspectives and then gets stuck when it comes time to make a decision, because I'm mulling over countless possibilities and domino effects and just overwhelm myself with anxiety.

Thing is though, like I said, seniority guarantees your right to work. It doesn't apply to your right to go home unless your local supplement or your building already has an established practice for that kind of thing.... and truthfully? I don't know how often/long it takes for something to become an "established practice." That's just the language in the contract-- past that it seems up to interpretation.

UpsBro

Dude, I'm on your side. I understand where you're coming from completely. I'm just the type of person that looks at a situation from a thousand different perspectives and then gets stuck when it comes time to make a decision, because I'm mulling over countless possibilities and domino effects and just overwhelm myself with anxiety.

Thing is though, like I said, seniority guarantees your right to work. It doesn't apply to your right to go home unless your local supplement or your building already has an established practice for that kind of thing.... and truthfully? I don't know how often/long it takes for something to become an "established practice." That's just the language in the contract-- past that it seems up to interpretation.
Yea I totally get you I don't want to step on any toes especially I'm trying to become a driver here so I'm just gonna wait it out and go from there thanks for the advice

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I always worked harder than the guys because everyone was watching us back in the early 90's when there were not too many of us.

That being said, i do not like women that won't work hard or are given the easy work just because they are female.

I'd speak up.

thaliloldsup

NE Division
I'm glad I came across this thread as I too am in the same situation. We have recently hired 4/5 new guys as many of our loaders quit and 2 got promoted. I thought I would finally stay in smalls full time and not get pulled out every day to cover, but one of the new hires is a woman and she has taken my spot in smalls. I have over 2 months seniority on her. She is not by any stretch "overweight" or incapable to load the trailers. Who do I talk to? I want my spot back bagging in smalls, I earned it. I'm tired of loading 53's all night.

J

jibbs

I'm glad I came across this thread as I too am in the same situation. We have recently hired 4/5 new guys as many of our loaders quit and 2 got promoted. I thought I would finally stay in smalls full time and not get pulled out every day to cover, but one of the new hires is a woman and she has taken my spot in smalls. I have over 2 months seniority on her. She is not by any stretch "overweight" or incapable to load the trailers. Who do I talk to? I want my spot back bagging in smalls, I earned it. I'm tired of loading 53's all night.

I hear you on the whole "I earned it" thing, but you really are at the mercy of your management team when it comes to working as directed.

I don't think you've got a violation but a steward in your building might feel differently.

thaliloldsup

NE Division
I hear you on the whole "I earned it" thing, but you really are at the mercy of your management team when it comes to working as directed.

I don't think you've got a violation but a steward in your building might feel differently.
I may just wait a few more months when I have a decent amount of seniority for my hub (turnover is WOW) and put a bid in for smalls and kick this chick to the curb(trailers lol) At the same time, I'll ask to leave the Saturday shift. They tricked me into it by training me to clerk and guilting me into doing the Saturday shift by saying I'm the only non-supervisor who can do it besides the normal M-friend PM clerk. Shady management at my hub

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck

How long you been at UPS?

Johney

No that's not what I'm saying at all, but then again I'll still stop and hold a door for a woman. As will my boys.