Equality in the work place

rod

Retired 22 years
No that's not what I'm saying at all, but then again I'll still stop and hold a door for a woman. As will my boys.

Welcome to the real world. Women get treated different than guys---period. Womens lib and equal pay for equal work and all that rosey stuff are just a myth.

J

jibbs

No that's not what I'm saying at all, but then again I'll still stop and hold a door for a woman. As will my boys.

So you're implying "this new generation" lacks etiquette? Yet your generation has it?

...From whom did my generation learn, is my question (or even better, who failed to teach us?), disregarding the completely false umbrella you fit every millennial or generation Y-er under.

There are good people and there are bad people. Age has nothing to do with it, whether the good and bad concerns work ethic, common courtesy or extra-legal proclivity.

Over 70

I'm glad I came across this thread as I too am in the same situation. We have recently hired 4/5 new guys as many of our loaders quit and 2 got promoted. I thought I would finally stay in smalls full time and not get pulled out every day to cover, but one of the new hires is a woman and she has taken my spot in smalls. I have over 2 months seniority on her. She is not by any stretch "overweight" or incapable to load the trailers. Who do I talk to? I want my spot back bagging in smalls, I earned it. I'm tired of loading 53's all night.

The easiest way to not do that anymore is to suck at it. Plain and simple.

J

jibbs

Social media is where today's generation learned their manners from. You can teach all you want to, but it is up to the pupil to take advantage of that teaching.

And yet is the tutor not equally responsible for failing his pupil?

Social contracts go both ways, and that's essentially what you're speaking of when you use a term like pupil which implies tutelage.

As far as parental guidance... if the parents are present, they should be a guiding presence in the child's life. Through thick and thin, no matter how high the tide gets. Social media doesn't raise children, people do.

...You don't have problematic children, do you? Because I feel for you, man, I was one of those for a long time. We can be a bltch to deal with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

Social contracts go both ways, and that's essentially what you're speaking of when you use a term like pupil which implies tutelage.

As far as parental guidance... if the parents are present, they should be a guiding presence in the child's life. Through thick and thin, no matter how high the tide gets. Social media doesn't raise children, people do.

...You don't have problematic children, do you? Because I feel for you, man, I was one of those for a long time. We can be a bltch to deal with.
On the one hand, I agree with what you're saying about the parents (usually by watching fathers) being the teachers. On the other hand, as a woman, I can attest to the fact that the younger generation tend to not open/hold doors as frequently for women as older men. Maybe because of divorced families and boys not being around their fathers as much?

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck

So you were a problematic child and blame your parents (tutelage) for failing you? Lmao, you are now crowned Mr. Millennial. You won the contest brother!

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I'm glad I came across this thread as I too am in the same situation. We have recently hired 4/5 new guys as many of our loaders quit and 2 got promoted. I thought I would finally stay in smalls full time and not get pulled out every day to cover, but one of the new hires is a woman and she has taken my spot in smalls. I have over 2 months seniority on her. She is not by any stretch "overweight" or incapable to load the trailers. Who do I talk to? I want my spot back bagging in smalls, I earned it. I'm tired of loading 53's all night.

Maybe 3, 3.5 months now. It's actually a considerable amount of time at my hub since it's more than 3/4 of the loaders. She just started a couple weeks ago.

You've been working here 3 months and have 2 months seniority over someone? You haven't really earned anything yet.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I can attest to the fact that the younger generation tend to not open/hold doors as frequently for women as older men. Maybe because of divorced families and boys not being around their fathers as much?
Most of that can be attributed to the persistence of third and fourth-wave feminism and the rise of "strong, independent women who don't need no man".

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Most of that can be attributed to the persistence of third and fourth-wave feminism and the rise of "strong, independent women who don't need no man".
I agree with that too. That's why when a guy opens or holds a door for me I make a point to smile and say thank you, because I DO appreciate it.