Everybody better pack a lunch.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
My boy is all worked up tonight.
Or should I say liquored up?

No liquor (at least yet ... I do hear a Scotch calling my name).

This just happens to be one of those topics that piques my interest.
There are valid points on each side and in this thread, everyone has presented their points well.

The new law passed by the Federal Government has really mucked up what has been an area that we all "gave and took" on ... what is reasonable. The law does not allow that anymore - as normally happens with laws.

Also, watching good games on TV today and I can do this at the same time.

705red

Browncafe Steward
It is unfortunate that the Federal Government and the Teamsters have put the drivers in this position. Common sense and a sense of integrity allowed flexibility in this area until this law was passed.

What where the Teamsters and politicians thinking about when they implemented the 14 hour driving rule? Or the 10 hours off between shifts? How about the safety of the employees and the general public? It is the preamble to our safety language that UPS has agreed to! Silly us for expecting UPS to honor the contract and Federal laws, but than again UPS has been sued several times for breaking laws. The most recent was somewhere around 89 million was it not?

705red

Browncafe Steward
The 60/70-hour limit is based on how many hours you work over a period of days. Just what kind of work is included in on-duty time? It includes all time you are working or are required to be ready to work, for any employer. It includes the following activities:
  • All time at a plant, terminal, or other facility of a motor carrier or shipper, unless you have been relieved from duty by the motor carrier;
  • All time inspecting or servicing your truck, including fueling it and washing it;
  • All driving time;
  • All other time in a truck unless you are resting in a sleeper berth;
  • All time loading, unloading, supervising, or attending your truck; or handling paperwork for shipments;
  • All time taking care of your truck when it is broken down;
  • All time spent providing a breath, saliva, or urine sample for drug/alcohol testing, including travel to and from the collection site;
  • All time spent doing any other work for a motor carrier, including giving or receiving training and driving a company car; and
  • All time spent doing paid work for anyone who is not a motor carrier, such as a part-time job at a local restaurant.
The bottom line is that on-duty time includes all time you are working for a motor carrier, whether paid or not, and all time you are doing paid work for anyone else.

The definition of on-duty time is found in Section 395.2.
[FONT=LCGIO N+ New Century Schlbk,New Century Schlbk][FONT=LCGIO N+ New Century Schlbk,New Century Schlbk]Travel Time [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=LCGIO N+ New Century Schlbk,New Century Schlbk]
[/FONT]"Travel time" refers to you being transported to a new location as part of your job, but you are not performing any of the driving on the trip. Any travel time you do at the direction of your motor carrier is considered on-duty time. However, if you take at least 10 consecutive hours off duty once you get to your destination, you may count all of the time, including the travel time, as off duty.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/truck/driver/hos/fmcsa-guide-to-hos.pdf

Last edited:

Dookiebrowns

The memo was from DM, it was addressed to all UPS management and service providers.

It also stated that if you needed to deviate from guidelines you need written authorization from the DM.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

• All driving time;

This being the relevant part of your post to this thread:

It appears from what Dookiebrowns has posted that UPS is instructing the drivers in this building to not drive their UPS vehicle more than 1/4 mile, after breaking trace, in order to take their lunch. That is consistent with the stipulations of the Federal law. UPS is providing clear, non-ambiguous parameters for drivers so they or the company will not be in violation of the law.

I suppose a driver could drive 1/4 mile and then walk or use whatever means they care to (other than the PC) to get to where the driver wants to take lunch. However, the lunch starts at the time the driver stops the PC, turns off the PC and enters "Lunch" in the DIAD.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Break starts as soon as driver breaks trace, and ends when driver is back on trace. .

This being the relevant part of your post to this thread:

It appears from what Dookiebrowns has posted that UPS is instructing the drivers in this building to not drive their UPS vehicle more than 1/4 mile, after breaking trace, in order to take their lunch. That is consistent with the stipulations of the Federal law. UPS is providing clear, non-ambiguous parameters for drivers so they or the company will not be in violation of the law.

I suppose a driver could drive 1/4 mile and then walk or use whatever means they care to (other than the PC) to get to where the driver wants to take lunch. However, the lunch starts at the time the driver stops the PC, turns off the PC and enters "Lunch" in the DIAD.
Maybe you should reread what DOOKIE wrote, actually I highlighted it in bold for you!

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
State laws govern the lunch time rules and regulations, NOT UPS.

You must first research your state laws relating to lunch and meal periods.

In most states, if you are operating a company vehicle, you are ON THE CLOCK. You must be relieved of this by parking the truck and turning off the engine. The company CANNOT mandate you shut the truck down in the middle of noplace and begin your lunch.

A "reasonable" distance for each route must be established as no 2 routes are the same.

Where I am, they tried this and failed miserably. We have challenged the company to "reloop" all the drivers into a commercial area during the 4th and 5th hour in order for drivers to be in an area where they can effectively stop and keep the mileage down reasonably.

The TEAMSTERS have NOTHING to do with the new rules layed down by UPS despite the rediculous claim made by hoaxster.

The drivers would like to help out UPS and its quest to save mileage and fuel, but when routes are looped miles away from a business district, it becomes unfair to prevent a driver from having the opportunity to use a clean restroom, wash hands, stay cool in the heat, or stay warm in the cold.

Indeed, some jerkoff in an office setting layed down this program nationwide without the experience of ever driving a package car.

I am sure he was a "red kneed" junior executive who ran as fast as he could to the vice president of operations with numbers in hand on how much money he was going to save the company.

The real joke is, the tons of miles that are being wasted on the other side of the coin by its supervisors and IE with rediculous dispatches.

The old adage "UPS is watching pennies while the dollars fly out of the building" applies when it comes to the .25 restriction.

:peaceful:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Maybe you should reread what DOOKIE wrote, actually I highlighted it in bold for you!
This is what dookiebrowns posted:
Break starts as soon as driver breaks trace, and ends when driver is back on trace. Break time must be coded when the vehicle is stopped and the engine is shut off.

His two statements are contradictory but I read this within context of the rest of his post and thought that "Break time must be coded when the vehicle is stopped and the engine is shut off."
I will leave it to Dookie to clarify exactly what he meant but until then I stick to my interpretation (how appropriate is that for this thread) that the DOT reported Lunch break (via the DIAD) starts "when the vehicle is stopped and the engine is shut off."

And since you were so nice to me, I bolded it for you as well. :wink2:

The TEAMSTERS have NOTHING to do with the new rules layed down by UPS despite the rediculous claim made by hoaxster.
:peaceful:
The new rules were put into effect as a reaction to grievances filed by drivers through the Teamsters. ... so IMHO it is not ridiculous or rediculous <sic>. :peaceful:

JonFrum

And let's not forget that the Call of Nature may happen several times throught the day, outside of the lunch and break periods. Doesn't UPS have to "let my people go" whenever the need arises? Even if it means driving off Trace on the clock to a suitable facility?

Dookiebrowns

Break starts as soon as driver breaks trace, and ends when driver is back on trace. Break time must be coded when the vehicle is stopped and the engine is shut off.

His two statements are contradictory but I read this within context of the rest of his post and thought that "Break time must be coded when the vehicle is stopped and the engine is shut off."
I will leave it to Dookie to clarify exactly what he meant but until then I stick to my interpretation (how appropriate is that for this thread) that the DOT reported Lunch break (via the DIAD) starts "when the vehicle is stopped and the engine is shut off."

No need to clarify. I am writing it as I read it word for word.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

No need to clarify. I am writing it as I read it word for word.

So, as an example:
You break trace and drive the PC for 1/4 mile and stop and turn off the PC, obtain the DIAD and "Clock-out" to start lunch?
Is that correct?

upsgrunt

This whole 1/4 mile limit is just ludicrous. Isn't that about 2 blocks? It would be faster to walk it than drive a package car that far; but maybe that's what UPS really wants. I understand the limits, but let there be common sense.

Yeah, yeah, yeah -- and world peace too.

As far as not running the motor and heater while on break or lunch when it's cold- it's not going to happen with me.