Excessive Backing?

I was chastised for back first exceptions for a while. I think I had 5 one day. My response was "I didn't back first once." Then was told I had to drive 600 ft. to stay off of report. So I ask how far did I drove at each exception. He couldn't tell me that, just the stops it did it at. I then asked for a chain (like the old bell chain) so I can measure the distance myself.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I recall having to waste about 15 minutes (at $45 an hour on OT) trying to explain to my center manager why it was that the process of hooking up a pup trailer was causing multiple backs and back first exceptions to show up on their report. Easiest money I ever made. I swear to God some of the people we hire to run this company could hide their own Easter eggs.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The problem with doing this is that your energy and focus are on trying to find ways to keep from showing up on a report when they should be on finding a way to not give a crap about showing up on the damn report in the first place.

I go out and do my job safely every day. If I have to back, I back. If I show up on a report, oh well. If they dont like it they are free to complain to someone who gives a :censored2:, and if they want to call me in to the office to discuss it at $46 an hour on OT I will be more than happy to sit down and have a nice long chat with them.

Sent using BrownCafe App
I back when I need to back also don't think much of it. However if I'm on a slight incline and can roll why not do it. It's second nature to me. We can all argue back and forth all we want and not agree. It's something personally I don't feel is any greater risk.

Lets just make sure you all know I'm not punching the gas then throwing it in neutral just to not show up on some report.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
One of our On road sups said a few months ago, that putting the truck into reverse, or just rolling back BOTH will register.

He said that Telematics measures when you travel backwards, that it doesn't matter HOW you travel backwards

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
One of our On road sups said a few months ago, that putting the truck into reverse, or just rolling back BOTH will register.

He said that Telematics measures when you travel backwards, that it doesn't matter HOW you travel backwards

I'm sure that sup believes that. Try it for yourself and check the results.

jaker

trolling
You know what bugs me about this thread right now is how some guys are driving shady to just stay off a report

Who cares how many times you back if it was such a big deal then we wouldn't be using Orion right now

kingOFchester

You know what bugs me about this thread right now is how some guys are driving shady to just stay off a report

Who cares how many times you back if it was such a big deal then we wouldn't be using Orion right now
Driver in my center who was in probationary period was in an automatic one day. Was in a drive and did a coast back in neutral move. Got out to make delivery and truck rolled into woods. Forgot to put it in park and I guess he doesn't use hand brake.

Back first

I back when I need to back also don't think much of it. However if I'm on a slight incline and can roll why not do it. It's second nature to me. We can all argue back and forth all we want and not agree. It's something personally I don't feel is any greater risk.

Lets just make sure you all know I'm not punching the gas then throwing it in neutral just to not show up on some report.
Couldn't agree more. I am not some rookie who is running my butt off. I have been doing this job accident free for 14 years.I really don't care if I am on their backing report or any reports for that matter.

MethodsMan

Since I started Orion I've been forced to back a lot more. Lots of dead end streets. It has me doing some funky stuff. Like going into an apartment complex only for one stop early in the day when I have several other stops in that complex (and not even for a NDA either). It has me bouncing around all over the place with no rhyme or reason. The best thing was the other day when it had my bulkiest stop a rear door right that takes up much of the aisle, well it had me delivering that at 16:30. Businesses that usually get their stuff around noon are getting it at 4pm. Not to mention risking injury and crushing other people's stuff to deliver a resi from the 8000 shelf at 9:30. My numbers have gone down the drain. Partly because of the hunt and search game/wrestling match that I have to do to find stuff in the AM.

I don't care though. I'm just a sheep at this point. I'll play the game.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Since I started Orion I've been forced to back a lot more. Lots of dead end streets. It has me doing some funky stuff. Like going into an apartment complex only for one stop early in the day when I have several other stops in that complex (and not even for a NDA either). It has me bouncing around all over the place with no rhyme or reason. The best thing was the other day when it had my bulkiest stop a rear door right that takes up much of the aisle, well it had me delivering that at 16:30. Businesses that usually get their stuff around noon are getting it at 4pm. Not to mention risking injury and crushing other people's stuff to deliver a resi from the 8000 shelf at 9:30. My numbers have gone down the drain. Partly because of the hunt and search game/wrestling match that I have to do to find stuff in the AM.

I don't care though. I'm just a sheep at this point. I'll play the game.

Why the hell are you putting yourself and your customers through that kind of grief?

If your ORION setup is truly that bad just turn the damn thing off, do your job as safely and efficiently as possible, and tell your sup to go pound sand if he starts whining about your "compliance".

You are a driver. Your job is to provide service to the customers, not to manipulate irrelevant metrics or obsess over meaningless compliance percentages. Leave that crap to your management team, thats why they get paid the big bucks.

Sent using BrownCafe App

MethodsMan

Why the hell are you putting yourself and your customers through that kind of grief?

If your ORION setup is truly that bad just turn the damn thing off, do your job as safely and efficiently as possible, and tell your sup to go pound sand if he starts whining about your "compliance".

You are a driver. Your job is to provide service to the customers, not to manipulate irrelevant metrics or obsess over meaningless compliance percentages. Leave that crap to your management team, thats why they get paid the big bucks.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Work as directed. I don't make up the rules. I just play the game.

nomorecardboard

It has been two years since I have been hassled about backing and don't miss it at all, I once told them that if they stop buying trucks with reverse, we would not have any backing accidents. Now that I am retired I back whenever I want.

Sent using BrownCafe App