Excessive Overtime the new normal

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by chitown, Jun 1, 2019.

1. What'dyabringmetoday???

What'dyabringmetoday??? Well-Known Member

Got it. Thanks for clarification. I'm slow. Lol.

2. What'dyabringmetoday???

What'dyabringmetoday??? Well-Known Member

This could rank up there as a best post ever. Definitely true either way.

3. TearsInRain

TearsInRain IE boogeyman

well that’s nice but you’re wrong because i’ve done it and i’ve seen dozens and dozens of supervisors and loaders do it firsthand

the only people who struggle are the ones who had dog:censored2: load methods to begin with

4. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

If a guy loads 1000 pkgs you added about 17 minutes but I'm sure the preload starts 17 minutes early to make up for it.

5. TearsInRain

TearsInRain IE boogeyman

depends on their utilization beforehand

sometimes we swap up the lineup, sometimes we add a person somewhere, sometimes they were all underutilized and we do nothing

6. Superteeth2478

Superteeth2478 Active Member

Or if you're my preload, you do stupid things like start at 4:45AM on Thursday, see a humongous dumpster fire from starting so late with missing Memorial Day volume, know that a lot of the forecasted volume for that Thursday didn't show up on that Thursday and there was still a disaster on the preload with drivers leaving at 9:30-9:45AM, and then start at EXACTLY THE SAME START TIME of 4:45AM the next day because you just really need the drivers to leave at 10:00AM at the earliest and 10:15AM at the latest!

True story. That was last week. Can you explain this nonsense, TearsInRain? It boggled my mind when I found out that management knew we were missing volume on Thursday and proceeded to start at the exact same time the next day. And that on top of having added the scanning mess only about 2 weeks prior...

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  7. Jstpeachy

Jstpeachy Active Member

We are told to scan every box as it comes down the belt, whether it’s getting stacked out, or it’s bulk/irreg going under belt or behind car,going on truck, etc. The point of scanning is supposedly to reduce/eliminate misloads but if it’s not going on the truck right that second, plenty can happen by the time it comes to load up bulk or clean up stack outs. So the pkg shows scanned but wasn’t actually in the truck- makes sense to me how that could happen.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. Utility81

Utility81 Member

I’m not a super rare person. I drive a 12 year old paid off Toyota. I strive to make less a year to get in a lower tax bracket. Made $93k last year. Oh well, there’s always this year.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. KoennenTiger

KoennenTiger Active Member

Turns out the box was damaged and sheeted as a damaged box. Of course my center manager didn't apologize. Cause yeah I'm really going to steal a pair of windshield wipers so I can lose the career I've put my entire life into....

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  10. Jstpeachy

Jstpeachy Active Member

Ah yep, sometimes it’s scanned then we see the damage. Another good example. At least they found it. I’ve only been here a month but no apology seems about right from all I’ve seen so far lol.

11. TearsInRain

TearsInRain IE boogeyman

24 hour notice my dude

i'd probably still try to start early and see who showed, but every manager is different

12. Eat Sleep Fish

Eat Sleep Fish Jig Master

Oh, if only I could get SOME overtime! Used to be weekends whenever I wanted here in Louisville but not anymore. They'd rather struggle to get planes worked than pay a 6th or 7th day. Sad times here.

13. UnconTROLLed

UnconTROLLed perfection

24 hour notice for what?

14. eats packages

eats packages I have depth perception issues

The preload scanners have the ability to sheet packages inside for clerk work etc. I just don't know how to do it since the apps are intentionally vague.

This is how our old sup EC'd several boxes inside while during the christmas catastrope 2017.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  15. Superteeth2478

I know the building management doesn't care about the 24-hour notice. They change the start time sometimes within an hour after the shift ends. And oftentimes fail to get the message out to everyone.

16. TearsInRain

TearsInRain IE boogeyman

best of luck then your management are retards

17. Superteeth2478

I figured that may have been the problem...thought it was something more reasonable, but I guess not.

18. eats packages

eats packages I have depth perception issues

I have had to create a second page of reports for whenever the inside timecard system is updated to show me as late. I play the game and show up early within reason but I don't get texts and sure as hell won't bother showing up with the usual 15-minute buffer. After all, no discipline can be dished out for changes to the weekly schedule here. Otherwise it would degrade the whole purpose of having a "consistent weekly schedule" to begin with.

19. UnconTROLLed

UnconTROLLed perfection

Yeah, I have no idea what they are talking about. Here they must post the schedule one week in advance. 24 hour notice? No thx

20. toonertoo

toonertoo Most Awesome Dog Staff Member

Yea, they are not kind..Or politically correct, I think they learn that right after the lobotomy